News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

General Nintendo Discussion

Started by DonValentino, July 29, 2011, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonValentino

Indeed, Nintendo Network and Miiverse were a huge improvements over the Wii and DS, but there's still a long way to go. I really wish they upgraded everything to a Steam-like community, with achievements and a much more robust online experience overall.

Hopefully the "play across more platforms easily" part also means you don't have to buy twice a game for the Wii U if you have it for the 3DS or viceversa. A universal Virtual Console would be really sweet, heck, we get GBA games on the Wii U instead of the 3DS, what difference would it make making them available on both?

Maelstrom

Quote from: DonValentino on May 09, 2015, 04:05:40 AMA universal Virtual Console would be really sweet, heck, we get GBA games on the Wii U instead of the 3DS, what difference would it make making them available on both?
I think it's' quite a bit harder to port them then it seems. All the ambassador programs operate like DS games without a sleep function. Shutting the system just turns the screen off instead of putting it in some sort of standby. And you can't access the home menu without closing the game entirely, similar to how DS games play. Trust me, I have them.

KefkaticFanatic

There are so many examples of emulators on various platforms with all sorts of that kind of functionality.  It's not a matter of it being beyond the capabilities of the system, just how much time/money they're willing to spend developing what is probably seen as a near zero-effort source of income.

me irl
[close]

the_last_sheikah

So Splatoon is pretty fun, gamepad control is a little wonky, but I think you should be able to use a pro controller instead.  Definitely going to pre-order it.
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

DonValentino

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 09, 2015, 08:12:34 AMI think it's' quite a bit harder to port them then it seems. All the ambassador programs operate like DS games without a sleep function. Shutting the system just turns the screen off instead of putting it in some sort of standby. And you can't access the home menu without closing the game entirely, similar to how DS games play. Trust me, I have them.

I have them too, but why should it be hard? We can perfectly have GB games, and my guess is that the only reason they didn't implement a proper emulator for GBA games is because they were already planning GBA games for the Wii U, so they didn't even bother. Besides, play Wario Land 4 on the Wii U, play it on the 3DS, the control setup is exactly the same, there's no hardware limitation to do it, just

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 09, 2015, 09:09:18 AMThere are so many examples of emulators on various platforms with all sorts of that kind of functionality.  It's not a matter of it being beyond the capabilities of the system, just how much time/money they're willing to spend developing what is probably seen as a near zero-effort source of income.

Well yeah, I know Nintendo ain't no charity, but for how long are they gonna make us pay for the same Super Mario Bros. over and over just in different consoles? It's kinda frustrating... Why not something like the the transfer system between Wii VC and Wii U VC? Say, they finally do unified accounts, and if you have Super Mario Bros. on the Wii for example, they offer you to buy it for a special prize on Wii U, 3DS, NX... If you take the Wii to Wii U VC transfer as reference, it isn't too far-fetched when you think about it.

DonValentino

NX could be region-free. Welcome to the 21st century, Ninty. Geez I was so pissed when some relatives bought me Mario Party 5 as a present when they were on a trip and I was so damn excited to play it, but then I couldn't because of the region lock... :p

Dude

Maelstrom

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

K-NiGhT

This is a sad day for gamers everywhere, for sure.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Yug_Guy

It is truly an understatement to say that Satoru Iwata changed the face of Nintendo. He changed the entire world of gaming.

The man has had a hand in some of the most successful and beloved games of all time. Games like Earthbound, Kirby, Pokemon, Super Smash Bros have and will be cherished by gamers for years to come. When Iwata stepped up to be CEO of Nintendo, things changed even more for Nintendo. Because of the innovations of the Nintendo DS and the Wii, millions of people who had never played games before could now experience the magic that Nintendo has strived to deliver since the days of the NES. While segments like Iwata Asks, and the now ever-present Nintendo Directs brought the company and its developers closer to Nintendo's fans than ever before. Despite the shortcomings of the Wii U, Iwata still believed enough in it and the company that he cut half his pay in order to provide more resources in developing more great experiences for now and the future.

In an industry dominated by publishers generally more inclined to value money over experience, Iwata still ran his company with the belief that a game company should provide players with fun and memorable experiences. For this, he will be dearly missed by many gamers around the world. Even though I may be some guy posting this in a random corner of the Internet, I know that my words of appreciation, as well as many other gamers, will be sent directly to you in the afterlife.

Rest in peace Iwata. You will be missed.

AwesomeYears

Dang, I wouldn't expect a healthly and happy man to pass on us. I bet he'll be in heaven telling the world to "please understand" about the news. :Œ

DonValentino

Aww that sucks man.... It will not be the same without him. RIP Iwata, and thank you for all these years.