News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arceus79

I know, I was speaking about the fact thaat most song names match the location they play in if it isn't a cutscene. Most areas, like the dungeons, have songs that match them. The Wigglytuff's Guild intro part is a remix of the start of the PMD: RRT and BRT Intro theme. However, it's still called "Wigglytuff's Guild". This song does not do that, and instead is named "Do Your Best, As Always"

Master of Wind: Arceus79

SlowPokemon

+We use the official soundtrack names, regardless of the location it plays in. Wigglytuff Guild is the song's actual name--a theme composed for the guild and its many functions and inhabitants. Similarly to how "Wigglytuff's Guild Remix" isn't called "instructions" or "assignment"--it's a variation of the theme of wigglytuff's guild.

Incidentally, ben, would you agree that this is the counterpart to the original base theme? It uses the same melodic rhythm at the beginning.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 10, 2012, 11:33:49 PMIncidentally, ben, would you agree that this is the counterpart to the original base theme? It uses the same melodic rhythm at the beginning.

A very interesting discernment, but I believe this is mostly coincidental. You are right though, they do share the same melodic rhythm for the first 4 measures. Perhaps it's the effect of the two songs being about the same thing, written by the same composer. However, intentional or unintentional, this by no means shows Iiyoshi-san as being uncreative. Aside from a very obscure metrical similarity, the songs are very different, and both very catchy.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: spitllama on August 10, 2012, 09:04:13 PMSharpedo Bluff is the location, "Do Your Best, As Always" is the song that plays while you're there.
I completely forgot that.
Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 10, 2012, 11:33:49 PM+We use the official soundtrack names, regardless of the location it plays in.
Ok.

Arceus79

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 10, 2012, 11:33:49 PM+We use the official soundtrack names, regardless of the location it plays in. Wigglytuff Guild is the song's actual name--a theme composed for the guild and its many functions and inhabitants. Similarly to how "Wigglytuff's Guild Remix" isn't called "instructions" or "assignment"--it's a variation of the theme of wigglytuff's guild.

I'm well aware of that, I'm simply questioning the logic of the Sky Jukebox, not anyone here.

Master of Wind: Arceus79

SlowPokemon

You're questioning the logic of the Sky Jukebox? That means you're questioning the logic of the composers, which should not be done. Besides, it doesn't play at Sharpedo Bluff all the time--only inside the cave, and only after you've graduated. So the name would be inaccurate.

Bespinben

I'm so happy that I've finally finished arranging this amazingly EPIC song. What a way to conclude a game. I know some people say the song feels out of place since it plays right after a very heartwrenching finale, but if you listen closely, it does fit. It's a song of bittersweet triumph, celebrating the gift of a new future, albeit coming at a great cost - your life, your very existence.

A quick note. The Sky Jukebox in Explorers of Sky has 2 separate songs listed as "Ending Theme (Intro)" and "Ending Theme". Since in the game they play back-to-back in the finale, I wrote both of them into my arrangement of the "Ending Theme" as a single unit.

[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ending Theme" / "Beyond the Sky (Staff Roll/Credits)":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]
[Youtube][/url]

Yugi

Bespinben

Quote from: SocialFox on August 18, 2012, 05:33:55 PMPretty Good. Mildly confusing though.

Thanks :) If you would, I'd like to know what aspect of the arrangement is confusing? If it's just the amount of parts, then all my arrangements are that way :P

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Yugi

Quote from: Bespinben on August 18, 2012, 06:01:35 PMThanks :) If you would, I'd like to know what aspect of the arrangement is confusing? If it's just the amount of parts, then all my arrangements are that way :P
A part in the middle where Whenever I read while listening to it, I lose track.

Bubbles

Your arrangements are amazing. It still scares me a little that all I have to do is listen to the soundtrack of the PMD series and I start to tear up, even though i am not an emotional person. They need to make more. Right now.

SlowPokemon

I think the reason it feels more adventurous and brave rather than moving and bittersweet (a la "Defend Globe (Ending)") is because it wants you to remember that the game wasn't entirely sad--it brings back the main adventure theme because it wants you to remember all the great explorations you had--the big waterfall, the guild's expedition, the trip with Dusknoir to the future, Grovyle's sacrifice, and everything else that happened. I like the ending theme, because it reminds you of what makes your parting sad in the first place.

I hope you understand what I mean when I say that XD

Bespinben

I FINALLY got permission to steal arranging "There's Trouble" from fingerz. Man, I've been wanting to arrange this song for so long now AAAGH THANK YOU FINGERZ.

Anyway, the arrangement. There didn't seem to be a tonic, or if there was, it was masked by the incessant augmented fourths/diminished fifths. However, there was definitely a pattern to the accidentals, along with a whole step modulation downwards and back up every two measures. With these things I mind, I decided to treat the song modally, giving it the key signature of Db major, though not necessarily Db being the tonic (since there really isn't one). Since it modulates a whole step down every two measures then back up again, I spelled those modulated downward sections as if they were in Cb major.

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's Trouble!":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Quote from: spitllama on August 18, 2012, 07:29:06 PMWOW that ending is awesome. Nice work!

Thanks a bunch! I must admit I'm pretty proud of how the ending came out too.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 20, 2012, 08:32:56 AMI think the reason it feels more adventurous and brave rather than moving and bittersweet (a la "Defend Globe (Ending)") is because it wants you to remember that the game wasn't entirely sad--it brings back the main adventure theme because it wants you to remember all the great explorations you had--the big waterfall, the guild's expedition, the trip with Dusknoir to the future, Grovyle's sacrifice, and everything else that happened. I like the ending theme, because it reminds you of what makes your parting sad in the first place.

I hope you understand what I mean when I say that XD

Yeah, I feel ya. My sister was a bit put off by the credits music herself after beating the game not too long ago, thinking it sounded "too happy" for such a sad ending. I tried to counter that by telling her to listen to the individual harmonies, hear how tragic they sound. However, I like your argument too Slow.

Yugi

Quote from: Bespinben on August 21, 2012, 01:12:05 AM[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team
"There's Trouble!":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Just a question, where does this play in the Game?