News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Quote from: Arceus79 on July 07, 2012, 08:59:49 PMWhat arrangement are you closest to finishing?

I don't quite understand what you're asking. I've worked several hours on a transcription of Mt. Freeze yesterday, if that's what you're wondering.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

taking a look at it (FINALLY) so I'll give you some feedback in a sec
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Alright, overall it's very good--I mean, all the epicness can't be reached on a mere piano, but it does an excellent job of imitating the grandeur and elegance of the original.

Nitpicky things--

Measures 5-6: I think that, as you indicated this section be played "heavily, arduously," you ought to change the notes in the bass clef to octaves--simply adding an octave F# and G# underneath the middle notes. This makes it sound heavier and more effective in my opinion.
Measure 9: The chord in the bass clef should be G#-E, not G#-D#. It's a slightly different chord than the G#m chord that's been used thus far, and a rather important one as it makes the song sound a bit more hopeful for a fleeting moment.
I'd like to point out that I really admire the way you handled measure 16.
Measure 18: There's not much different between 32nd notes and grace notes, really--if it were me, I would change the dotted eighth to a quarter note, and add the 32nd notes as grace notes to the first chord in measure 19. That's mostly aesthetically pleasing, though, as it really doesn't make much of a difference in how it's played.

Everything else looks great, well done
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Arceus79

Quote from: Bespinben on July 08, 2012, 10:37:10 AMI don't quite understand what you're asking. I've worked several hours on a transcription of Mt. Freeze yesterday, if that's what you're wondering.

Reworded: Which arrangment that you are working on is the most done? As in, 10% done, 30% done, ect.

Master of Wind: Arceus79

Bespinben

I really can't believe how close I'm getting to actually completing the PMD1 OST (I think there's only 20 songs left to do). It's taken me a little more than a year to do what I've done so far, sure, but it's totally been worth it! Anyway, now presenting my arrangement of Mt. Freeze~

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mt. Freeze":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 08, 2012, 11:13:08 AMAlright, overall it's very good--I mean, all the epicness can't be reached on a mere piano, but it does an excellent job of imitating the grandeur and elegance of the original.
Nitpicky things--
Measures 5-6: I think that, as you indicated this section be played "heavily, arduously," you ought to change the notes in the bass clef to octaves--simply adding an octave F# and G# underneath the middle notes. This makes it sound heavier and more effective in my opinion.
Measure 9: The chord in the bass clef should be G#-E, not G#-D#. It's a slightly different chord than the G#m chord that's been used thus far, and a rather important one as it makes the song sound a bit more hopeful for a fleeting moment.
I'd like to point out that I really admire the way you handled measure 16.
Measure 18: There's not much different between 32nd notes and grace notes, really--if it were me, I would change the dotted eighth to a quarter note, and add the 32nd notes as grace notes to the first chord in measure 19. That's mostly aesthetically pleasing, though, as it really doesn't make much of a difference in how it's played.
Everything else looks great, well done

That sounds like a really good idea Slow with measure 5+. However, after experimenting with that a little bit, I found it obscured the lower voice harmonizing with the melody and made playing the mordent's more difficult. Still a great suggestion.
Ah, good ear catching that error at measure 9! Thanks ;)
In this case, I would like to leave the 32nd notes the way they are. This is because I want them played BEFORE the first beat of measure 19, which would not be otherwise clearly indicated if written as grace notes.

Quote from: Arceus79 on July 08, 2012, 01:33:05 PMReworded: Which arrangment that you are working on is the most done? As in, 10% done, 30% done, ect.

That's what I'm not understanding. Arrangement of what? Are you wanting a status report on all of my work-in-progress arrangements? *confusion*

Nebbles

I can't thank you enough for arranging the PMD OST. It makes me super happy to have this game's music for the piano and whatnot C:
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FSM-Reapr

Nebbles is right! I also enjoy playing many of your arrangements. =D

Arceus79

Quote from: Bespinben on July 09, 2012, 11:37:20 AMThat's what I'm not understanding. Arrangement of what? Are you wanting a status report on all of my work-in-progress arrangements? *confusion*

Nevermind.  With the release of your Mt. Freeze arrangement, my question was answered.

Clanker37

I love it! It may be put on my 'To Learn' list ;P But you should probably put the key signature in A major, with all those A major chords.

Anyways, Bespinben I would like to point out a very interesting fact. You have so far arranged all the pieces that are featured in the Blizzard Island Medley. Now, I don't want to pressure you or anything, but...

YOU BETTER DO IT, BUDDY! >:O

Arceus79

Quote from: Clanker37 on July 09, 2012, 08:49:19 PMAnyways, Bespinben I would like to point out a very interesting fact. You have so far arranged all the pieces that are featured in the Blizzard Island Medley.

That's True.  First part is Mt. Freeze, then Sky Tower, then Mt. Thunder, then Thunderwave Cave. (I feel like I've said that before, too.)

Bespinben

As requested by FSM-Reapr for his wedding performance playlist, here is my arrangement of Mt. Travail from PMD2. Have fun adapting it for organ, hehe  ;)
Question for peer reviewers -- The song seems to alternate between 3/4 and 6/8. How should I go about indicating the different pulses? The beginning with the large L.H. arpeggios is definitely 3/4 feel, but then there's a kind of mix in the next section, and then it seems very clearly 6/8 in section after that when the L.H. arpeggios come back again.

[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mt. Travail":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Quote from: Nebbles on July 09, 2012, 03:30:24 PMI can't thank you enough for arranging the PMD OST. It makes me super happy to have this game's music for the piano and whatnot C:

Dawww thanks Nebbles!

Quote from: Clanker37 on July 09, 2012, 08:49:19 PMI love it! It may be put on my 'To Learn' list ;P But you should probably put the key signature in A major, with all those A major chords.
Anyways, Bespinben I would like to point out a very interesting fact. You have so far arranged all the pieces that are featured in the Blizzard Island Medley. Now, I don't want to pressure you or anything, but...
YOU BETTER DO IT, BUDDY! >:O

That was actually the master plan all along  8) Someone on Youtube asked me to arrange the PMD2 Rescue Team Medley awhile back, so I resolved to arrange all the constituent songs first, then tackle then medley.
Oh, and I'm really not entirely sure about Mt. Freeze's key signature. The bass in the L.H. always sits in a funny spot with respect to the rest of the harmonies, so although the treble might suggest A major, the bass is always droning away somewhere else.

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Bespinben on July 12, 2012, 08:32:26 PMHave fun adapting it for organ, hehe  ;)

What a way to spend a day! Hey it rhymes!  :)
Thanks a lot, pal.  :D We'll come to play in your wedding. ;)

pumpy_heart

Ohai, more critique from a guy from which you've probably heard enough! XD
This dropbox thing means I can critique at work which means more critiques from me.
New Wave Bossa Nova. I followed you until measure 9. If you're going to use Eb, and I think you should, it's better to show that harmonic consistency throughout the measure instead of using D#. Rest all looks great. I do wonder why you use different rhythmic notation for the bass in measure 1-end. Last I heard this piece, I remember the rhythm being the same. Could just be me.
Thanks again for your arrangements!

Bespinben

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 13, 2012, 07:51:22 AMOhai, more critique from a guy from which you've probably heard enough! XD
This dropbox thing means I can critique at work which means more critiques from me.
New Wave Bossa Nova. I followed you until measure 9. If you're going to use Eb, and I think you should, it's better to show that harmonic consistency throughout the measure instead of using D#. Rest all looks great. I do wonder why you use different rhythmic notation for the bass in measure 1-end. Last I heard this piece, I remember the rhythm being the same. Could just be me.
Thanks again for your arrangements!

Ohai :3 Glad you see the good in dropbox  ::)
Honestly, I'm don't know why or how that happened with that D#/Eb inconsistency. Either it was Finale derping, or the effect of having written the arrangement very late at night. Thanks for pointing that out ^_^
I just wrote the bass as I heard in the recording. Also, while I was at it, I got rid of the grace notes in the 2nd-to-last measure and wrote them in full in the preceding measure. I thought the Gb immediately naturalized by the G of the upper harmony in the 2nd-to-last measure looked ugly, that's why.

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on July 13, 2012, 01:36:04 AMWhat a way to spend a day! Hey it rhymes!  :)
Thanks a lot, pal.  :D We'll come to play in your wedding. ;)

Haha, I might just have to seriously take you up on that offer someday 8)

FSM-Reapr

My pleasure! Then I'd have a reason for a tour around America!  :D