News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Well done, but it's stupidly hard in some places, most notably measure 8. Everything else looks to be playable, though the double layers in the left hand definitely look tricky as well as arbitrary. Indeed, measures 5 and 7 have no reason to have two layers in the left hand and only make it look more complicated. You also made some notes staccato when they aren't--look at measure 5; the second and fourth beat (the note beginning with G) shouldn't be staccato an this carries through the rest of the song. And in measure 6, the first note nor the sixteenth tuplets that follow it nor the E (skipping a note) should be staccato. Finally, there is no ending in the original song; the final measure should be a copy of the first with the first C having a lower G and E to back it up as well as being an accented staccato. This should be bookended by a repeat bar at the end of the song and at the beginning of measure 2.

/my opinions

You don't need to change it, just that's what I noticed looking at the original song and then your arrangement.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 21, 2012, 02:10:41 PMWell done, but it's stupidly hard in some places, most notably measure 8. Everything else looks to be playable, though the double layers in the left hand definitely look tricky as well as arbitrary. Indeed, measures 5 and 7 have no reason to have two layers in the left hand and only make it look more complicated. You also made some notes staccato when they aren't--look at measure 5; the second and fourth beat (the note beginning with G) shouldn't be staccato an this carries through the rest of the song. And in measure 6, the first note nor the sixteenth tuplets that follow it nor the E (skipping a note) should be staccato. Finally, there is no ending in the original song; the final measure should be a copy of the first with the first C having a lower G and E to back it up as well as being an accented staccato. This should be bookended by a repeat bar at the end of the song and at the beginning of measure 2.

Now THIS is the kind of hard, scrupulous critique that my arrangements have needed for a long time. Thank you Slow.

The reason why there were hidden layers in measures 5 and 7 was to produce a double stem on the first C of the bass. However, I cleaned this up by simply eliminating the hidden layers and simply using the double stem tool, so as to signify the coincidence of the tuba C and low reed C.
I must disagree about the issues of playability of measure 8, all I'm asking is for the L.H. to arpeggiate the low F# and middle C, and hold that for 1 beat using the pedal. The R.H. is no problem either, since you would just use the 1 and 2 fingers to play the lower layer that is octave doubling the melody. However, there was a playability issue with measure 6 that I noticed myself, in that I had asked that the sixteenth tuplet be played on octaves (which is absurdly difficult), so I fixed that.
All articulation issues are now fixed. Making daily arrangements to stay ahead of Shadoninja may have slightly disrupted my quality control.
Finally, I implented a D.S. al Coda repeat system that is also functional in playback. There is a repeat from the beginning to the loop, as well as an optional ending.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

I'm so happy I've finally found a way to arrange this song. It is truly one of the most beautiful songs from the game. I just hope trying to handle such a multiplicity of parts while playing won't ruin that feeling. This arrangement is dedicated to November and SlowPokemon, the former for requesting it, and the latter for the song being one of his favorites.

[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Time Gear Theme (Fogbound Lake)":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

I think one of the very first arrangements I posted on my thread when I started out on NSM was a two-piano duet of the "Sky Tower" theme from PMD1. Well, now 1 year later, I now present my own SOLO arrangement of such an awesome song. Enjoy~

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sky Tower":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Bespinben

Continuing in the spirit of revisiting old duet arrangements of mine, I now present a SOLO piano arrangement of "Great Canyon" from PMD1! Also, this marks the end of my daily arrangements that I have successfully maintained for 15 days now as part of mine and Shado's bidiurnal summer arranging contest, as I will now be devoting much of my time towards resurrecting the "Fixing the Sheets" project. Anyway, enjoy!~

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue/Red Rescue Team:
"Great Canyon":
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

@jompa - Haha, thanks! Are you a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fan maybe? :D

Arceus79

With your PMD 2 Music list, you wrote number 85 as Sky Peak Cave, although that is already on the list as number 83. Number 85 is Sky Peak Coast.

Master of Wind: Arceus79

Bespinben

Quote from: Arceus79 on June 25, 2012, 06:06:17 PMWith your PMD 2 Music list, you wrote number 85 as Sky Peak Cave, although that is already on the list as number 83. Number 85 is Sky Peak Coast.

Oh my bad XD I must have copy-pasted my description from track 83 when making the list and forgot to change the song title. Haha, I didn't even know people even read that list, it's mostly just for my personal use to keep track of my progress towards acheiving my goal of arranging the entire OSTs of PMD1 and 2.

Arceus79

Quote from: Bespinben on June 25, 2012, 06:26:30 PMI didn't even know people even read that list
Most people, probably not. I was actually seeing which other pieces PMD2 had stolen from PMD. Tiny forest turned into murky woods, parts of the title theme are used in everything else, and Vs. Rayquaza is pretty much Defy the Legends.

I also didn't know about the different title theme for Time and Darkness...

I would work towards that list, but there are two reasons I don't.
1. Other people like working on these, and I don't want to stop anyone.
2. The original reason: I suck at arranging stuff... you've done really well.

Bespinben

Quote from: Arceus79 on June 25, 2012, 08:00:24 PMMost people, probably not. I was actually seeing which other pieces PMD2 had stolen from PMD. Tiny forest turned into murky woods, parts of the title theme are used in everything else, and Vs. Rayquaza is pretty much Defy the Legends.

I also didn't know about the different title theme for Time and Darkness...

I would work towards that list, but there are two reasons I don't.
1. Other people like working on these, and I don't want to stop anyone.
2. The original reason: I suck at arranging stuff... you've done really well.

Ah ok, makes sense. I'm not too much disturbed by PMD2 "stealing" from the original, since I actually kind of liked the throwbacks - it gave a sense of continuity to the series (though I'm still trying to devise theories as to how Rescue Team and Explorers relate to eachother chronologically).

Ah yes, that's a very unloved track, but awesome still. I think that is because there is sizable group of Pokemon fans whose first time trying out a Mystery Dungeon game was with Explorers of Sky.

It's really just a one-man band here. I haven't seen anyone trying to arrange any PMD songs for a long time on the forums, besides myself of course. If you want, I'd could recommend a PMD song I think even you could find easy to arrange, which would be good practice for you ("Aftermath" from PMD1 seems easy enough).

Arceus79

I think PMD2 happens later, because time wasn't messed up in the Red/Blue as far as I know. If Red/Blue was later, it would be very dark because of Darkrai destroying the Temporal Tower in that timeline. Before you went back in time, time was frozen. It is on the same piece of land, the shape is the same, just some locations are different.

My problem is getting the bass, and getting the tune right. I tried Mt. Horn, before I realized it was done, because I wanted to play it. My bass was all over the place, like it shouldn't be.

I try to learn music I actually know. Never played PMD1 games.

Oh, yeah! I'm also missing a program (which I'm not allowed to download), and my computer needs to be taken tomorrow or the day after for updating.

I love fate. I went to see what the Mt. Thunder song sounded like, then I listen and think to myself, Wait, what? This is from Time and Darkness, but where? I eventually figured out that it and Sky Tower, as well as Mt. Freeze Peak and Thunderwave Cave, are all from Blizzard Island Rescue Team Medley, the theme for Blizzard Island.

spitllama

Which is the more updated version of your "I don't want to say goodbye/farther away"? The youtube link or this one?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bespinben

Quote from: spitllama on July 07, 2012, 06:34:14 PMWhich is the more updated version of your "I don't want to say goodbye/farther away"? The youtube link or this one?

There are three:
1.) My original Sibelius arrangement (least up-to-date)
2.) The youtube link (more up-to-date)
3.) Ninsheetmusic (most recent revision), or the DESCRIPTION in my Youtube link.

Arceus79