Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Thank you Clanker! Thing is, the song itself is inherently challenging, and I really don't see any way I could make it easier. Much appreciated though!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

pumpy_heart

It's late and I'm not in the best of moods. Just a warning. This is all meant to be critical critique and nothing against you. If I offend you, I'm really sorry. I'll try not to.

I looked at the duet you said I should from Clanker's topic. Apparently I missed something from both of yours. In measure 9, the half note is positioned wrong. Beat 3 must be shown.
It's a transition period either way you look at it, that measure. You could theoretically have one piano in 12/8 and the other in 4/4. You could have the part stay as written. Or you could write it all in 12/8, using duple divisions of the beat in 12/8 time. The duplets work like triplets, except it's two in the time of 1 beat. To get a duplet to fit a beat of dotted length, use two notes a third of the dotted length. So for 12/16, you would use 2 sixteenth notes.
There's a chromatic descent in measure 17. Think you know how to notate those now.
I think that could've been one of the best duets you wrote so far. Good job.

I looked at Monster House too. There's some descending chromatic runs notated with sharps. Better to do those with flats. Starting in measure 5, it's safe to say the key is D minor. It modulates in measure 17. I would bet the last note in the treble in measure 18 is supposed to be an F#. If so, yay. If not, I see why not. But it's heavily revolving around E minor until measure 22. Here, it starts modulating every measure. Instead of notating a key signature, it would be better to just notate the notes in which key should be altered. It starts in A lydian, based on the key of E major. It keeps modulating every measure to the end. I see no problems with how you notated those, but using the flats and sharps in a tonal area could cause confusion. So just change all the flats to sharps.

I probably didn't leave you any room to learn. But I feel a little better now. Maybe I can sleep now.
^ego.
Keep up the good work. It's great to see pieces being arranged daily. :)

Bespinben

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 11, 2011, 11:46:52 PMI looked at the duet you said I should from Clanker's topic. Apparently I missed something from both of yours. In measure 9, the half note is positioned wrong. Beat 3 must be shown.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I wrote this arrangement back in July before you had taught me about the conventions of rhythm notation, so that's why the problem is there.

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 11, 2011, 11:46:52 PMIt's a transition period either way you look at it, that measure. You could theoretically have one piano in 12/8 and the other in 4/4. You could have the part stay as written. Or you could write it all in 12/8, using duple divisions of the beat in 12/8 time. The duplets work like triplets, except it's two in the time of 1 beat. To get a duplet to fit a beat of dotted length, use two notes a third of the dotted length. So for 12/16, you would use 2 sixteenth notes.

Ooh! I like the idea of having piano 1 in 12/8 and piano 2 in 4/4, but I don't know how well Finale would like that. Besides, I don't think having those triplets is hurting anything really, so I think it's fine.

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 11, 2011, 11:46:52 PMThere's a chromatic descent in measure 17. Think you know how to notate those now.

Woops :P  I'll fix that when I make the .mus

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 11, 2011, 11:46:52 PMIf I offend you, I'm really sorry. I'll try not to.
~~~~~~
I think that could've been one of the best duets you wrote so far. Good job.

You worry too much :D Heck, if that's offensive, I have no clue what polite is. And thanks  ;D

Quote from: pumpy_heart on October 11, 2011, 11:46:52 PMI looked at Monster House too. There's some descending chromatic runs notated with sharps. Better to do those with flats. Starting in measure 5, it's safe to say the key is D minor. It modulates in measure 17. I would bet the last note in the treble in measure 18 is supposed to be an F#. If so, yay. If not, I see why not. But it's heavily revolving around E minor until measure 22. Here, it starts modulating every measure. Instead of notating a key signature, it would be better to just notate the notes in which key should be altered. It starts in A lydian, based on the key of E major. It keeps modulating every measure to the end. I see no problems with how you notated those, but using the flats and sharps in a tonal area could cause confusion. So just change all the flats to sharps.

I probably didn't leave you any room to learn. But I feel a little better now. Maybe I can sleep now.
^ego.
Keep up the good work. It's great to see pieces being arranged daily. :)

Yippee! Thanks for the help again :) All suggestions have been applied (I think). And don't worry, you did leave some room for me to learn; I had to look up what you meant by "A lydian." Apparently, it's a type of scale I've never heard of before! Based on what I read, would "Lost Woods" from LoZ Ocarina of Time be in F lydian? Back on topic, I know you told me not to change the key signature for every modulation, but I thought I should try to figure it out anyway for practice. Once I know I got them right, then I can get rid of the signature and just let the notes themselves reflect it. The same link should bring you the updated .mus.

Nebbles

MONSTER HOUSES

LEAVE ME ALONE AKSFDHSLDFS /hides I hate monster houses ahhhh
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

fingerz

Bespinben! Orchestral version of Sky Tower is awesome!! Very well done! :D :D
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

pumpy_heart

Sweet dealz, all around.
I had to double check, but yes. Lost Woods is definitely F lydian. Good tool to remember.
Thel modes can be seen in video game pieces from time to time, but I think if you can just recognize apparent key signatures, there's no need to learn the names.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Nebbles on October 12, 2011, 05:42:51 AMMONSTER HOUSES

I KNOW!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I'VE GOTTEN TO THE LAST FLOOR OF A DUNGEON ONLY TO BE THWARTED BY ONE VNFJEIWOSKDFMDJKESOFMDKSOW
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jub3r7

I also hate monster houses, but I just less than three the music that seems, like, 1000x more intense because I'm really close to dying.
Anyways, that's what Foe Fear Orbs are for; I like to use Slumber orbs or the ones that make them pause, but the effects aren't as permanent.

But yeah Bespinben, thank you for making that.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

DonValentino

Where is your Monster house arrangement? I can't find it and I wanna listen to it!  :-[

Bespinben

It's on page 17. I haven't updated my front page yet. Thanks for taking an interest!

DonValentino

Quote from: Bespinben on October 14, 2011, 03:18:46 PMIt's on page 17. I haven't updated my front page yet. Thanks for taking an interest!

Ah! Thanks!  :D
You did an awesome work, that song should have been difficult to arrange, right?  :)

Bespinben

s
Quote from: Nebbles on October 12, 2011, 05:42:51 AMMONSTER HOUSES

As bad the monster houses may be, you cannot deny the sheer awesomeness of the song.

Quote from: fingerz on October 12, 2011, 02:03:20 PMBespinben! Orchestral version of Sky Tower is awesome!! Very well done! :D :D

Thanks fingerz! That arrangement took me 2 whole weeks of dedicated work (about 3 hours a day), so I'm very glad you like it.

Quote from: Jub3r7 on October 12, 2011, 06:46:05 PMI also hate monster houses, but I just less than three the music that seems, like, 1000x more intense because I'm really close to dying.
Anyways, that's what Foe Fear Orbs are for; I like to use Slumber orbs or the ones that make them pause, but the effects aren't as permanent.

But yeah Bespinben, thank you for making that.

My pleasure! It was a fun song to arrange.

Quote from: WarioMan98 on October 15, 2011, 04:04:12 AMAh! Thanks!  :D
You did an awesome work, that song should have been difficult to arrange, right?  :)

No problem! Yes, I must say that was a considerably difficult song to arrange, but the effort definitely was worth it.

Bespinben

This wasn't on my to-do list, but I'm usually the most productive when I arrange from spontaneous desire. Now presenting my solo piano arrangement of the "Buried Relic" theme from PMD 1!

[GBA/DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Buried Relic" (SOLO):
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

I really like the chords in the second section of the song. The progression from the 7th chords to minor 6ths feels so dramatic, almost tragic in fact, reminding me of my foolishness for forsaking my humanity to explore accursed 99 floor dungeons. I mean sure, being a Pokémon was fun and all, but I really wanted to return to being a human at the end of the game. What about my family huh? Wouldn't they be worried if I suddenly disappeared out of nowhere and never came back?

fingerz

Nice, Bespinben! :D
You've done an excellent job with that arrangement! I was gonna add that to my TO DO list, but since you've done it and done such a wonderful job, I don't have to!
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

pumpy_heart

Neat little piece there.
You spelled all the chords correctly too. Good job!
I would think of this piece in G dorian (key of F major built around G). The Eb serves as a mixture. Saves you an accidental here or there and never is a B natural called for.