Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Wow! Thanks so much Clanker! I'm glad I lived up to your expectations of epicness  ;D 

About bar 19 (and similar ones): I'm not actually asking the performer to specifically to play those exact notes in exact time, as it's not actually possible considering the tempo. I'm actually implying that the performer use an octave glissando to slide up (or down) to the final note while maintaining the octave position. I realize this technique is infamously painful if not done correctly, but such is the price of epicness. Besides, if you're using a keyboard, then octave glissando shouldn't hurt at all.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

K-NiGhT

Just got back on the forum...been away for a while...and i'm done learning the parting song :3 gotta admit, first time i played it i cried.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Oritendo

Trainer Battle (SOLO): yup, probably the best/easiest version by far.  :)

Bespinben

Thanks Oritendo! This is a song I actually tried to learn to play on the piano (most of the things I arrange I don't actually learn myself), so I made it so that the only sixteenth note runs in there were chromatic. I also made measures 42-49 more suitable for two hands, since the original requires 3 hands at that section. I also made the left hand very simple (just alternating perfect fifths [which it is in the original {most of the time}]), so that the player could let the left hand go on autopilot while he/she focuses on playing the difficult right hand. Finally, I made sure that the different voices in the song were distinct from eachother in the sheet music, making it so that you knew what was the melody, what was the countermelody, and what was the bass. Dahans' arrangement combines it all into one layer, so it's hard to see what's the melody in his arrangement. Anyway, I'm glad you like my arrangement!

And sorry I haven't posted any new arrangements for a while, I've been trying to convert my current arrangements to .mus. Once I'm done with that, I can get back to making new stuff.

Bespinben

INITIATE PROJECT .MUS CONVERSION!
Volunteers needed!

That's right, I am now attempting to convert my arrangements into .mus format thanks to my recent acquisition of Finale 2011 so that my work can be submitted to the site. I will need assistance in carrying out this project, as I have thus far arranged 21 pieces, each being fairly long and many being duets. To make this easier on myself (and to all potential volunteers), I downloaded a trial of version of the newly released Sibelius 7 which has built-in MusicXML export so I can convert my .sib to .xml, which converts better into Finale than through .sib to .midi and then importing the .midi into Finale. As such, I will post an .xml file paired with its .pdf of the original for each of my current arrangements so that I (and anyone willing to help) can import the file into Finale and edit the .mus until it matches the PDF.

Please proceed to the "Help" section of the forum and find the thread entitled "PROJECT .MUS CONVERSION" if you would like to contribute. Or click HERE if you're lazy.

Cobraroll

Just listened to your R/B/Y Trainer Battle (posted in the submission thread), and it is very good.

Apart from the beginning (the two first measures). Sorry to say, but it sounds like two out of three notes are missing. The song is meant to have an "exploding" start, this just stumbles awkwardly into the melody. I can't really see why you did that, could you please explain? The rest of the song is awesome, keeps going at the right pace, so why did you make the intro like that?
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Dudeman

Quote from: Bespinben on August 04, 2011, 12:38:45 PMYou see, unless you're a crazy asian pianist who can play non-chromatic sixteenth note runs at 170 bpm, most people can't play the beginning of the Trainer Battle. As such, I employed my creative faculties to reduce the former sixteenth note runs at the beginning to a string a eighth notes that maintains the same progression as the original.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Bespinben

^That would be my reasoning  ;)

I love it when people answer questions for you and they say exactly what you were thinking of saying XD.

Cobraroll

I still don't think it makes any sense, because the bass just a few measures later runs just at the same speed. Even though the notes are closer to each other, you still need the same finger speed to play it. It's just a matter of memorizing the intro.

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Bespinben

I suppose you're right. Here's the .mus with the introduction as per the original: [MUS]
I also re-did all my MUS, MIDI, and PDF links on the forums to link to the new version I just gave you.

If anyone still wants the version with the simplified introduction, please feel free to PM me, and I'll give it to you.

Cobraroll

That's more like it ;D
Could perhaps be stretched out a little for easier readability, but that would tip it over to five pages in length, with a single bar on the last page. I think that if you have trouble understanding which notes to play, this probably isn't the song for you anyway. Roll with this version. The rest of the arrangement was already fantastic. I really hope to be able to play this song one day; it's one of my favourite video game songs ever.

Thank you for arranging it.

Bespinben

You're very welcome Cobraroll! I actually took up piano as a hobby only 2 years ago so I could learn to play the Trainer Battle theme, as it too is one my favorite VG songs of all time. The simplified beginning that was in the old version was a remanant of my attempts of trying to learn the song. I got the song down pretty well now, but I'm still practicing my chromatic scales every day so I can build up the necessary speed to play the section of the song that has them.

Bespinben

In midst of my painstaking .mus conversion project, I still felt the need to arrange something new. This time however, I felt inspired to create a small ensemble as opposed to my usual piano arrangements. The piece in question would be "Bubbles Shining over the Sea" (alternatively known as "On the Beach at Dusk") from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, one my favorite songs from that game, as it's so peaceful and relaxing. This is also the first thing outside of piano I've ever done. Please enjoy!

[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bubbles Shining over the Sea / On the Beach at Dusk" (Small Ensemble)
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Be assured, I still will make a solo piano arrangement of this song, so worry not  ;)   

pumpy_heart

A few comments on your small ensemble arrangement of "Bubbles Shining over the Sea." As a bassoonist and a wind player, there's absolutely no way I would want to or be able to hold a Bb the entire song. You didn't show where to breathe or give the player any chance to rest. That Bb begins to get into the tenor range and any bassoonist's embouchure would die going for that long on that note.
I'd rewrite the Bb, F#, Eb chord as an Eb minor chord, or Eb, Gb, Bb where appropriate. Keep the inversions, but just change all the F#'s to Gb. Makes a lot more musical sense.
And for the solo cello part, double and triple stops (multiple notes at the same time) are doable and writable for that instrument. However, they are harder to play in tune the higher they are. Intervals of a 2nd (upbeat of the 4th beat in measure 15) are impossible to triple stop well. I'd recommend transposing this to Solo Viola when it reaches the higher octave and you'll find more of what you're wanting to write.
It sounds fantastic. Good job. Your RBY battle sounds great as well. There's some reach issues in the left hand at times, but it definitely sounds the most like the original. If only all the parts could be playable, it'd be perfect. Some songs from games just can't be replicated to the fullest as we'd all like.
That's a long post. I hope it doesn't sound all negative or bad. Just trying to help. Never said it before, so welcome to the forums. Good job on what you're doing and keep up the good work! :)

Shadoninja

an easy way to change all F#'s is to use the note mover tool.
click on a measure with the note, then the box next to it. up at the top click on "note mover -> search and replace...", you'll most likely want "in all octaves", then click on enharmonic. after that click search at the top and then replace all.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman