Bespinben's Arrangements! (020: "The Way Home" [帰り]~ PKMN Super Mystery Dungeon)

Started by Bespinben, July 02, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

My discovery of Ninsheetmusic began when I was searching ever so diligently for some piano sheet music for the Trainer Battle theme from Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. As tribute to that occasion, I now present my very own arrangement of the piece that truly started it all for me. Enjoy!

[GB] Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow/Green:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trainer Battle (SOLO):
[MIDI] [PDF] [SIB]
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Dudeman

Finally, an arrangement I recognize! This is really good, Bespinben! I just have a couple of suggestions:
Measures 42-57: I don't think pedal is needed.
Measures 50-57: Does it really need to be slowed down to half speed?
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

...lemme guess mt. blaze will be a duet only? :C

At least the RBYG battle theme isn't!
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Bespinben

@Nebbles - Well you see Nebbles, Mt. Blaze's melody is actually a musical motif used in several dungeon themes throughout PMD 1 (see Sky Tower [2 & 1/2 minutes through], Sky Tower Summit, and Mt. Blaze Peak [which I haven't done yet]). The reason why we can identify that same melody line as a different tune is because of the unique instrumentation and harmonics characteristic to the respective dungeon theme. As such, writing Mt. Blaze as a solo or any other song that shares this melody would depreciate the very identity of the song, making it hard to tell whether or not the song is Mt. Blaze or Sky Tower two and a half minutes through, due to the fact that one simply can't fit all the musical parts unique to these songs in a solo. If I saw a way to write it as a solo like I did with Pokémon Square, I happily would do so, but I can't see a way to do it for Mt. Blaze. I'm glad that you're not disappointed with my RBYG Trainer Battle though  :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Dudeman - Thanks Dudeman! Yeah, I have a lot of obscure arrangements don't I? I'm glad I did something you recognize. Now about your suggestions:

Measures 42-57:
I used the pedal like I did there in order to sustain the low perfect fifth in the bass clef that the right hand crosses over to play in measures 42-49. I also think it gives that section an interesting "operatic" feel, which is why I kept pedaling up to measure 57. I also thought the ritardando and following accelerando gave a nice touch to measures 50-57, and really helped bring out that section as a climax to the song. (Just for reference, it didn't go to half speed - it went from 170 bpm to 130 bpm)  ;)

Oritendo

SlowPokemon

No thanks maybe later. You do know that if you open a MUS file and click the play button at the top, you can hear the midi? Btw that MUS file is gone, the real one is in the last page of my submissions. I'll fix the other links later.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SWMadness

Quote from: Bespinben on August 03, 2011, 09:15:15 AMMy discovery of Ninsheetmusic began when I was searching ever so diligently for some piano sheet music for the Trainer Battle theme from Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. As tribute to that occasion, I now present my very own arrangement of the piece that truly started it all for me. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trainer Battle (SOLO):
[MIDI] [PDF] [SIB]

There's a couple bits in there that have the right hand stretching too far, I think. It still looks a lot more playable than most other arrangements I've seen though.  :D

Dudeman

Quote from: Bespinben on August 03, 2011, 01:53:38 PM(Just for reference, it didn't go to half speed - it went from 170 bpm to 130 bpm)  ;)
I just listened to the original, and the speed doesn't change at all. Well, It's never a bad thing to derive from the original a little. although it grates on my perfectionist nerves...
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Oritendo

Quote from: Bespinben on August 03, 2011, 09:15:15 AMMy discovery of Ninsheetmusic began when I was searching ever so diligently for some piano sheet music for the Trainer Battle theme from Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. As tribute to that occasion, I now present my very own arrangement of the piece that truly started it all for me. Enjoy!

Trainer Battle (SOLO):
[MIDI] [PDF] [SIB]
I really like how you start the arrangement!  :)

Bespinben

@SWMadness - I peered through my arrangement, and it appears the most I ask the performer to do in terms of stretching is a 10th in the right hand at measures 65 and 67. Still, that's fairly hard to do for a number of people, especially when going at 170 bpm on staccato-ed eighth notes, so thank you for pointing that out.

@Dudeman - I know the speed doesn't change in the original, but considering Dahan's arrangement of this same song on site has a tempo that's way faster than the original, I thought a little creative license was acceptable. However, what I really want to know is whether you think the variations in speed in that section add to the song, or detract from it. Essentially, was it a good addition or not?

@Oritendo - Oh yes thank you for commenting on that Oritendo! You see, unless you're a crazy asian pianist who can play non-chromatic sixteenth note runs at 170 bpm, most people can't play the beginning of the Trainer Battle. As such, I employed my creative faculties to reduce the former sixteenth note runs at the beginning to a string a eighth notes that maintains the same progression as the original.

Dudeman

Well, I'm a perfectionist, so I'd say the speed should stay the same. That way, it's more of a transcription and people will recognize it better (sort of).

Bespinben

Quote from: Dudeman on August 04, 2011, 12:41:13 PMWell, I'm a perfectionist, so I'd say the speed should stay the same. That way, it's more of a transcription and people will recognize it better (sort of).

Thanks for the input! I'm usually the same as you Dudeman in terms of sticking precisely to the original if you see some of my other arrangements and compare them to the original, but I thought I'd go out of my norm for this arrangement and see what would happen. Now that I have seen what would happen, I'll probably switch it back to the unvarying tempo of the original when I decide initiate my .mus conversion project, which is gladly recruiting volunteers  ;)

Bespinben

Thanks Clanker! It's always my goal to have the highest degree of accuracy in my arrangements.

Quote from: Clanker37 on August 05, 2011, 12:45:43 AMI fail to see why it can't be turned into a solo piece...
Well you see Clanker, Mt. Blaze's melody is actually a musical motif used in several dungeon themes throughout PMD 1 (see Sky Tower [2 & 1/2 minutes through], Sky Tower Summit, and Mt. Blaze Peak [which I haven't done yet]). The reason why we can identify that same melody line as a different tune is because of the unique instrumentation and harmonics characteristic to the respective dungeon theme. As such, writing Mt. Blaze as a solo or any other song that shares this melody would depreciate the very identity of the song, making it hard to tell whether or not the song is Mt. Blaze or Sky Tower two and a half minutes through, due to the fact that one simply can't fit all the musical parts unique to these songs in a solo. If I saw a way to write it as a solo like I did with Pokémon Square, I happily would do so, but I can't see a way to do it for Mt. Blaze. I hope you understand  :)