News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

I Need Assistance...

Started by Fleetstar The Flygon, April 24, 2011, 09:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleetstar The Flygon

Uh, I haven't started theory classes yet, but I want to compose BADLY!
If anyone could give me some helpful hints on sheet music, that would be great. And what video game songs I should try to work on. (I usually play Pokemon and Mario, so something from that sort.)

Thank ya much!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 16, 2011, 05:42:27 PMSome songs that I think are pretty awesome to start with, Pokemon-wise, are N's Farewell from Pokemon Black and White, as well as my own Musical Hall and Route 4 arrangements which are on the site. I only recommend those two that I arrange because I like to think mine are fairly easy, yet accurate.

Also Azalea Town from GS is good... Look at anything by DekuTrombonist, particularly his Route 47 if you're looking for Pokemon.

Fluffy Bluff Galaxy and Chompworks Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2 are relatively easy and sound very good.

Sky Station from Super Mario Galaxy 2 if you're up for a challenge. Gusty Garden from SMG 1 as well. The sheets are practically impossible, but it's not that hard to pick and choose important parts so that you can create your own arrangement from it... sometimes you can even create more than one, it's pretty fun occasionally.

Hope this helped!

From someone else's thread about the same thing.

Okay, what do you mean by "tips" on sheet music? For learning songs, try doing the right hand separately from the left hand at first if you can't manage them together. It helps occasionally.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Fleetstar The Flygon

Thanks!  :)
Defining "tips", I mean anything from fingering to variations and such, anything that would be good to know. Sorry for being vague XD

Jub3r7

I'm really bad at arranging, and I also need to work on my theory.

I can learn and play rhythms just fine, but I don't know how to write them down. At all.  :(
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Raymondbl

Quote from: Jub3r7 on April 24, 2011, 11:53:49 AMI'm really bad at arranging, and I also need to work on my theory.

I can learn and play rhythms just fine, but I don't know how to write them down. At all.  :(
Same here.  My ear is probably the worst in the world. 
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

Brassman388

What are your favorite game composers?

Also, reading music alot like reading a regular ol' book. You do it constantly and it'll stick. Chord structures and melodies will reveal itself through basic study of them.

This is something I had to do, it's good practice as well as good reference. It makes transcribing easier.

Fleetstar The Flygon

Thanks, Brassman! That's a good way to look at it!

kirby_superstar

Brassman is really insightful. ^_^

I agree. I do also suggest, however, that you try your hand at arranging something for piano.
Or, make it even simpler, just arrange a short melody, single voice, for a wind instrument.
If you can't arrange. Just make one up. It doesn't matter how crappy or unprofessional or whatever you or anyone else thinks it is.
It's good practice. When I was younger I did arrangements with midi files.
It's not...an exact science...but you get to see how the different tracks fit together and how things work against and with each other.
Also, I have a feeling that if you're having a lot of trouble with rhythms or theory, you're not too advanced or comfortable with reading/playing music.
Make a genuine effort to learn an instrument and play it well!
And besides, even if you DON'T think you're any good. Don't be discouraged.
I started learning to play piano when I was 12. Way after the lucky kids who'd been taking lessons since they were 4.
And I play better now than some of them. Because I was passionate and dedicated and I still maintain that level of hunger for success, I mean I try.
I'm still not even fantastic at arranging, but, I plan on attending university for composition primarily, and the arranging--no matter how simple or trivial or unprofessional it is at times--is FANTASTIC progress. As is listening to all the music I can get my hands on, following scores, disciplining myself.
I wish you the best of luck. ^_^
Feel free to post any game arrangements in the submissions board.
And, any thing you do yourself in the home-made compositions section.
Good luck. C:
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

Fleetstar The Flygon

I'll try my hand at it! 
And I'm not struggling so much as... well.... struggling. :P I'm getting up there in skill and reading (But not too professional yet), I just don't get theory. I'd rather just listen to a piece, skim over the sheet music, and make my own version of it- I've never been one to look at those little fingering numbers... Even though I should. :-[
Thanks for the help! It means alot to me, what you said.