News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Kirby Superstar's Arrangements

Started by kirby_superstar, April 13, 2011, 01:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirby_superstar

This post will be edited and updated regularly. Please check back! :D

Submissions

Bubbly Clouds Revision (Dream Land).mus

In Progress

[GBC] Kirby's Dream Land - Green Greens for Four Hands
[GBC] Kirby's Dream Land - Green Greens (Replacement)
[Wii] Super Paper Mario - Bounding Through Time

Upcoming/News

I am currently working on a four hand duet for Green Greens and a replacement for the current one.
I then plan to tackle my old sheets, and a handful of replacements not currently being worked on.
My next big project will be Bounding Through Time (EDIT: I seem to have made much more progress on this one, so this is the current project bahaha).
It's one of my all-time favourite Mario songs.
It's a toughie though. I'm doing it by ear. It'll take me a while. Wish me luck! ^_^
As a complement to Bounding Through Time, I'm doing a remake of Memory from SPM. It's the ending theme to the same piece, arranged differently and what not in game though.
Anyway, it needs to be in 6/4 (among other small details). So, I'm going to fix that.
I don't plan on getting any of these things done immediately. I have a lot of major projects due soon in school, then finals, then all summer I'm going to be in Alberta--probably with limited access to computer resources. Aside from the things I mentioned, I'll probably do sheets/replacements at my own whim. Anyway, those are my realistic expectations. :D
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

The Deku Trombonist

Partly to do with the use of a document that was started in Finale '07. The long solution which will solve all future problems would be be to edit the expression, copy all the text, go to tempo marks, create tempo mark, paste text, go to the playback tab and check the box that says match playback to metronome marking text.

The short solution is to edit the thingy, go to the playback tab, and change the number in the box from 120 to whatever number you need.

Hopefully that makes sense. I've kinda assumed you know how to do some things, if I made that assumption in error, I can explain it in more depth.

kirby_superstar

Are you saying that I should copy and paste it all into a new document? The thing that confuses me is that the playback worked fine. I gave it both a written tempo mark AND one in the playback controls panel. Then. Boom. Today it doesn't work. And it will not change tempo. I don't understand. D:

The Deku Trombonist

Erm...
Right-Click on your tempo marking on the page.
Click "Edit text expression"
On the window that pops up, click the "Playback" tab.
Find the text box with the value of 120 in it and change that.

kirby_superstar

That worked perfectly.
I guarantee I tried every playback option...but that. xD
Thank you kindly.
Posting fixed tempo version now.

Sekter77

Um...
Your sheet says this song is from Kirby Superstar, but the arrangement is actually much closer to the Kirby's Dream Land version of the song (except for the tempo). The differences are most notable in the bass. So, you should probably change the subtitle and speed. I think the original arranger is partly to blame for the mix-up though.
For comparison: Super Star; Dream Land
EDIT:
Oh. Just saw your post in the submission thread. It really is a better fit for replacing the Kirby's Dream Land version of the song.

I just got on a huge Kirby kick recently (never played the games until now) so I'm hooked on the music. When I finish with SMW replacements I hope to get to work on some Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's Dream Land stuff too! (If that's ok with you anyway. It seems like this is your project for now.)

Oh yeah, one more thing: the game titles on the site are a bit wrong. Dream Land and Super Star should not be one word.
Guitar and video games.

kirby_superstar

I honestly always spell it Superstar because of my username (like as if I'm a superstar and not a super star haha). xD I'm embarrassed that I did that on the sheet though. However, I dunno if you saw, but I brought up this issue on the update thread where I posted the sheet. SO, I'm glad you comment on it. I noticed after finishing the sheet that it seemed much like Dream Land, so, for the sake of remaining true to my intent, I removed pedal markings I had and asked that the second section be played legato and kept the up tempo. I believe that the notes in the bass are true to Super Star...the dynamics are much more detached in Super Star though. Although, going off my initial doubts, I think I have to agree with you on origin of the arrangement.

I will not change it tonight, however, I'll do it tomorrow. I plan on working on Float Islands, The Meta-Knight related themes, etc.

Also, if you do Kirby replacements, please allow me to work on all those done by Jesse J.K. They're embarrassing. And they're my old sheets. Lol. In regards to the original arrangements. I was self-taught and knew hardly a thing about the thing I love, music obviously. Also lazy. ;) It was easy enough to copy/paste MIDI tracks to make a sheet. I try to go off ear now, use recordings to help, MIDIs for tough spots. I feel obliged to fix those sheets for myself and for the site I love.

ALSO. I LOVE KIRBY MUSIC. BAHAHA. Hence the name. And want of doing the arrangements. Do you like the arrangements on Epic Yarn? I just about died when I listened to the soundtrack. They're fantastic.

Sekter77

It's a good thing I just beat Kirby's Dream Land today because finishing it made me want to download the soundtrack which, coincidentally, I have to use now! After listening to it again, I'm positive that the bass pattern in your arrangement matches the Dream Land version. The right hand notes are all the same I think, but the left hand is definitely different. It shouldn't be too hard to change that part to get the Super Star version though since both games have an arrangement for Bubbly Clouds.

But anyway, go ahead and fix up all your old arrangements. I have no idea how long it'll take me to finish the stuff I'm working on right now anyway, so you might even get all of them finished up before I get to start any. I'll be sure to offer suggestions in the meantime though. My arrangement method pretty much is just me matching the notes on my guitar while listening to the original song slowed down in Audacity. It's a little bit of a brute force method, but it gets the job done usually. Hopefully the practice will make things easier over time.

Also, I can't believe I've never played any Kirby games before! I was really missing out. Epic Yarn was the first Kirby game for me and the soundtrack was amazing! It's definitely on my iPod right now cause it's so relaxing and well thought-out. I haven't heard all of the re-arrangements from the soundtrack as I'm only halfway through the game right now, but if they're anything like the other songs, they'll be fantastic.
Guitar and video games.

kirby_superstar

I'm shocked too! :O Lol. My favourite all-time Kirby song is Butter Building. I HATE the Brawl arrangement though. The guitar part is really really gross and out of tune.
I play it on saxophone.
Yeah the Dream Land version is much MUCH better matched up to the arrangement. I will make an edit for the Super Star version.
I payed close attention and the bassline definitely deviates way more. Also, before the last figure of 8th notes going up and down towards the end is very different.
I'll fix up the name.
Thank you so much! Your input as a Kirby music lover is invaluable. C:

Sekter77

No problem. I'm glad to help!

I actually really like the Brawl version of Butter Building though. Maybe it's because I play guitar, but I think it's a neat touch to the song. My favorite Kirby song right now is probably Sky High or Candy Mountain or whatever it's actually called on Kirby Super Star. It's followed closely by the Title Screen from Kirby's Dream Land.
Guitar and video games.

kirby_superstar

Yeah, I'm really kind of an odd one out. Everyone loves the Brawl arrangement. lol

I have to agree with you in saying that's a fantastic one.
I love Kirby music. The jazz and disco influences, the frantic rush, fast bass patterns. ....mmmmmmm <3
Maybe we should have a thread to discuss it, ahaha.

Korados

Quote from: kirby_superstar on April 14, 2011, 10:25:05 AMYeah, I'm really kind of an odd one out. Everyone loves the Brawl arrangement. lol

My bro and me, we both hate the brawl arrangement, it just takes the tranquility out of this piece which is necessary for the music of kirby games.
Besides the music of the Pokemon games, I totally love the tunes from the kirby games.
Kirby Air Ride and Kirby 64 are the best, we need much more of this games here!!! Hirokazu Ando is just a GOD of video game music imo! ;)

kirby_superstar

Quote from: Korados on April 15, 2011, 12:03:37 AMMy bro and me, we both hate the brawl arrangement, it just takes the tranquility out of this piece which is necessary for the music of kirby games.
Besides the music of the Pokemon games, I totally love the tunes from the kirby games.
Kirby Air Ride and Kirby 64 are the best, we need much more of this games here!!! Hirokazu Ando is just a GOD of video game music imo! ;)

Don't forget Jun Ishikawa!! >.< Forgive me if I'm wrong...but I'm pretty sure he composed all the main themes. ;)
I love Kirby 64 so much. They did so many new things with the music. Canvas Curse introduced new melodies.
And now we have Epic Yarn with some of the greatest arrangements ever. <3

Korados

Quote from: kirby_superstar on April 15, 2011, 02:10:24 PMAnd now we have Epic Yarn with some of the greatest arrangements ever. <3

Eh, I disagree. The music of Kirby Epic Yarn is just BOOORING! All of Nintendo's recent games are just boring or simple in any point, mostly in gameplay and sound
and so is Kirby Epic Yarn. Super Mario Galaxy 2, Pokemon Black and White are also weird and for beginners AND SHORT I mean Unova is half so big then the other regions, is Nintendo out of money or ideas or both?! And I fear that Zelda Skyward Sword will be easy in play and music, too. Is it sure by now that Koji Kondo will write the music? If he doesn't, the game will be sooo... NRGH! The only thing in which Nintendo increased is with the graphics, but wo needs that if the game isn't good?

kirby_superstar

Well...I'm a jazz musician so I can't argue with Epic Yarn's OST.
You're not the first person to tell me this, but I COMPLETELY disagree.
I have, however, not played the game. So I dunno how exciting it is.
I like Black and White. It's got some stuff to do, but you're right, it is definitely lacking in material.
I almost never buy the "3rd Editions" so I always get shafted and get no Battle Frontier or the likes. >:P
My favourite place to spend time with games is usually RPGS for PS2. Level-5. Stuff like that. hahaha