News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Schoolwork Help Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, April 08, 2011, 07:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Hey guys, if you have a few moments, would you mind filling out a survey? English class research project. :P It's about a hypothetical third world war.
http://surveynuts.com/surveys/take?id=16950&c=84207617LDND
(sorry if you're not in the U.S., pretend like you are for that last question)
Thanks.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

FierceDeity

Wait I just noticed this but it's already closed apparently because surveynuts keeps telling me I'm not allowed to see the results

Dudeman

Well, whaddya know. I copied the wrong link.

Fixed.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

well that's a really silly survey
2 superpowers can't just promise not to use nukes
any large scale war between multiple superpowers in the future would be a cold war
unmotivated

FierceDeity

Except the cold war was essentially two superpowers tacitly agreeing not to use nukes unless the other side did because of mutually assured destruction. Not to say that this means they "didn't play a significant part", but with the extremely vast network of nuclear weapons in the world nowadays, mutually assured destruction is an even greater threat than before, and it's not entirely unreasonable to assume that no one country would be foolish enough to bring down the wrath of every other country that's agreed not to use nukes except in retaliation, even if just by threatening. Even if it were, though, that hardly makes it a silly question to ask when gathering people's opinions on the subject (if it were meant to provide an accurate prediction, it'd make quite a bit more sense to ask professionals), and even if it were a silly question, that hardly contaminates the entire survey.

MaestroUGC

The next world war will be one for my supremacy. That much I can promise you.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

braix

I need to fill out a table

Type of Decay: | Alpha Decay | Beta Decay | Gamma Radiation
Mass               |                  |                  |
#Protons          |                  |                 |
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

InsigTurtle

I believe it would be
4/0/0
2/0/0

(I'll write an explanation if you need it)

Mashi

That's correct, InsigTurtle.

Alpha Decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atom splits into two more atoms; a Helium atom with two neutrons (called the alpha particle) and a new atom with two fewer protons.
This alpha particle (the Helium), having 2 protons and 2 neutrons (and also 2 electrons whose weight is estimated to 0), weighs approximately 4 atomic mass units, or 4 daltons.  Not sure what term you've learnt.

There are actually two types of Beta Decay; Beta Minus Decay and Beta Positive Decay.  I'm presuming you're learning the former.
Beta Minus Decay is a type of radioactive decay in which an atom transmutates (i.e. or in simpler terms, changes) into an element with one more proton and releases an electron (called the beta minus particle) and an electron antineutrino (basically the same thing as an electron, but with negative mass and positive charge).
The beta particle (electron) has approximately 0 mass and, obviously, has no protons.

And in case you're curious, Beta Positive Decay occurs when an atom transmutates into an element with one fewer proton and releases a positron (called the beta positive particle; has the same mass as an electron, but a positive charge) and an electron neutrino (same thing as an electron, but with negative mass).

Gamma Radiation is a type of radioactive decay in which a gamma ray (in very very simplistic terms, it's basically very high frequency light) is released.  A gamma ray is deemed as a high energy photon if that makes sense to you (but if not, you can ignore it, as it's a technical term).  A gamma ray, essentially being a component in light, has no mass (this isn't approximation like with the electron, it has literally 0 mass) and also has no charge.  So evidently, it would have 0 protons as well.

braix

Actually, I haven't learned this. It's in a review packet I have to finish, 30% of the problems in it I haven't learned because of the weeks I wasn't at school for like 2 weeks.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

ThatGamer

I'm doing a report on Lego, any facts that I don't know that I could add?
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mikey

It hurts when you step on one
also googling "history of LEGO" and "fun facts about LEGO" would be overwhelmingly useful for people who actually know how to google :/
unmotivated

ThatGamer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 13, 2015, 01:33:51 PMIt hurts when you step on one
also googling "history of LEGO" and "fun facts about LEGO" would be overwhelmingly useful for people who actually know how to google :/

What is this Google? I should Google it...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mikey

unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber