News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Schoolwork Help Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, April 08, 2011, 07:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braix

Quote from: Mashi on May 16, 2014, 07:48:59 PMSentence structure could use some work.  Not sure what grade you're in, but I figure it's acceptable enough for your average aptitude.  As it is now, your sentences are factual, but not necessarily connected.  In a well written essay, information and sentences should flow together.  If you change your diction (word choice) a bit, it can do wonders.  Looking at your initial paragraph:

"There were lots of weapons in the Medieval ages, and the sword was one of them. Knights used them and they, along with the armor and horse of a knight, were very expensive. Medieval swords were the main weapon of the knights in the Middle Ages. Medieval swords changed over time. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, they used a double-edged sword, but later they started using a diamond-shaped sword that could destroy chain mail more easily. There were many different types and styles of Medieval swords.

"Among the variety of weapons available during the Medieval Era (such as maces, pikes, daggers, spears, etc), chiefly the sword was used among the higher classes.  Notably, the knights are closely associated with them, and they heavily relied on them, whether for sport, competition, or training.  Relative to the population, only a small percentage was composed of knights, as the costs of training, swords, horses, and armor were incredibly expensive.  In addition to this expense, knights also had to be particular about what type of equipment they chose for themselves.  The sword, for example, had a variety of forms and even evolved through the Medieval Era.  At its start, swords were primarily double-edged, but as time passed, knights began using swords with a diamond-shaped edge instead, because it would more easily destroy chain mail.  In fact, the changes that occurred to the sword are more intricate than simply alterations to its edges, and there are many more parts to it.

If you take notice, the latter paragraph is slightly longer (but not enough to be redundant), while also supplying more connective ideas and facts.  Of course, the latter paragraph is written in my own style and there's naturally more than one way to express thoughts in cohesive and expressive ways.  The "colour" of one's writing style isn't something that can appear instantly, but it's something you should keep in mind as you continue writing in the future.

maelstrom's suggestions are good.  In addition to his suggestion, maybe write more in depth about the purpose of each part of the sword, why the sword gained popularity for use among knights, why equipment was so expensive (chiefly swords), go more in depth on the types of swords there were, etc.

As for finding this information, you can honestly just Google for it.  This site was the first result for "medieval swords" and it's informative enough.  Be wary of false information, sure, but chances are that it's the first result for a reason!

Anyway, good luck!  You still have the weekend, which should be plenty of time to write it out.  Just write it little by little and you should be fine.
Thanks~
I think I can get the two pages all down, now. :3
This was so rushed I didn't pay any thought to sentence structure at all. I'll fix zat right away. xD
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Ruto

Ha, pretty much everything I know about swords came from "The Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare." There was a huge section on how the blades were made, grade of steel/iron used and how swords were repaired, sharpened, and major problems when using the sword. You can probably do some research on those things too?

The LotR book is good for a general facts about swords, but the information isn't specific to one era.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

mikey

Problem #2:
My youngest son likes a hot shower, and wants to stay in the shower as long as possible. We do not have an on-demand water heater. He is a small boy, so he doesn't need that much water. The incoming water supply is at 45 deg F and our water heater is rated at 45,000 BTU/hour. Write a MATLAB script to compute the maximum flow rate of the shower (in cubic feet per minute) so that my son can stay in the shower all day in 95 deg F water.

I don't even know where to begin
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

Sounds like you convert BTU to Joule, then use specific heat formula to determine the energy required to heat from 45F to 95F, then just algebra to find maximum rate possible.

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on September 23, 2014, 11:31:15 AMSounds like you convert BTU to Joule, then use specific heat formula to determine the energy required to heat from 45F to 95F, then just algebra to find maximum rate possible.
I don't know what BTU, Joules, or specific heat formula is ;_;
but I'll keep that in mind
unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

Google all of the above :D  Any explaining I do would just be paraphrasing top results anyway ;)

me irl
[close]

braix

I'm learning linear equations but I don't know what numbers go where. And what the heck is peak air time?

You are moving to Houston, Texas, and you are switching your phone company. Your new peak air time in Houston is $0.23 per minute. Your bill also includes a monthly charge. For 110 minutes of peak air time your bill is $51.30.
a. Write an equation that models the cost C of your monthly bill in terms of the number of minutes m used. (All of your minutes during peak airtime.)

b. How much is your monthly bill for 60 minutes of peak air time?
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Bubbles

Woah!! Something I can help with!!

a. The first thing you need to do is find the monthy charge. I'm assuming "peak air time" just means the rate. Since it says it costs $51.30 for 110 minutes of usage, the equation would be (110minutes)($0.23) + X = $51.30. The X is the monthly charge, since it is not affected by the number of minutes and stays the same no matter what. Solve that out and you get $26 a month. If you were to not use your phone minutes at all all month, you would still pay $26.

Turning that into a linear equation is just a matter of logical thinking. If every minute is $0.23, then that would be shown with 0.23m. One minute would be (0.23)(1), two minutes would be (0.23)(2), etc. Add in the constant and the final equation is C = 0.23m +26

b. Simply plug in 60 for m and solve out -- a total monthly bill of $39.80

braix

Ohhhh all right I get it now, thanks~

mikey

unmotivated

braix

yeah, i didnt think to do 51.30-0.23(110) for the monthly pay. i assumed that 0.23(110)=51.50 >-<

mikey

%Problem 2
%There's an enormous chance I did this wrong and I don't think I should get
%points off if I did.
%Specific Heat formula: Q = m c (delta)T
%Q = 47477513.368 J
%(delta)T or Td = 50 degrees F
%c = 4.186 J/gram
%Solve for m: 1/m = (c * Td)/Q
c = 4.186
Td = 50
Q = 47477513.368
m = 1/((c*Td)/Q)
m = m * .000035 %convert to cubic feet
m = m / 60 % convert from hours to minutes
unmotivated

braix

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 26, 2014, 08:13:22 AM%Problem 2
%There's an enormous chance I did this wrong and I don't think I should get
%points off if I did.
%Specific Heat formula: Q = m c (delta)T
%Q = 47477513.368 J
%(delta)T or Td = 50 degrees F
%c = 4.186 J/gram
%Solve for m: 1/m = (c * Td)/Q
c = 4.186
Td = 50
Q = 47477513.368
m = 1/((c*Td)/Q)
m = m * .000035 %convert to cubic feet
m = m / 60 % convert from hours to minutes

The answer is 1 Potato

Yugi

So for a Japanese assignment, I'm supposed to do a day in the life of a fictional character. Progress is going well, but I accedently put stuff in that is ahead of the currliculum and I don't want to start it again or use a translator. If someone can tell me how to write the following sentences that would be great.

"I must complete a video game whithin 24 hours, or else I will face demotion."

"Luckily, I have assistants who will help me through a difficult section of a game, in case I need help."

FireArrow

yay bump
So, school work, due to today, I've been trying to do it for the past week but I can't get the right answer.

Problem:
The Table shows the height of a ball x seconds after being hit. Write a quadratic function that fits the date by solving a system.

Table:
Time/Height
1 sec/48ft
2 sec/60ft
3 sec/40ft

My work:
I plugged in the points (1,48), (2,60), (3,40) into y = ax^2 + bx + c to get a system of:
a + b + c = 48
a4 + b2 + c = 60
a9 + b3 + c = 40

Plugging it as a matrix into my TI, I get the equation:
y = -16x^2 + 60x + 4

Problem is that that equation has a vertex (maximum) smaller than the y values I'm supposed to get. halp
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department