News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Schoolwork Help Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, April 08, 2011, 07:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruto

Lol I remember my teacher making it sound like the Americans really decided to split from England to avoid paying taxes. We didn't use any textbooks for the course, only "A People's History of the United States". I don't know if people agree that it's the main reason, but it was definitely the most overlooked one. America didn't seem so virtuous after that xD

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Mashi

Taxes may certainly have played a role (Considering James I ignored Parliament's existence and did whatever he wished, leading to the Plymouth Colony.), but religion was the primary reason as far as Plymouth and the Bay Colony go, considering that the Pilgrims (Separatist Puritans - Puritans wishing to separate from the Anglican Church.) desired to practise their beliefs in their own church without interference of England (Because the English Act of Superiority (After Elizabeth I's revisions) only permitted the toleration of Catholics (Though, discrimination still existed, of course), so to permit a sect of Puritanism probably would have earned the Puritans the ire of the monarch (Considering Puritans didn't like the Anglican Church in the first place!).  Furthermore, James I thinly veiled his Catholic tendencies and often ignored the pleas of the Puritans for Anglican Church reforms.  He probably resented the Puritans a lot too, considering the Puritans idea of purifying the Church was getting rid of nearly everything Catholic about it (Which in all essence, was everything)!

DrP

Dont we all love the Great British Ass-Kicking of 1776

SlowPokemon

Meh. Most history is nothing but useless bullshit in my opinion.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Mashi

Try saying that the next time there's a holocaust!
Although it's very cliche, that commonly distorted quote about those that don't pay attention to the past are condemned to repeat it is quite true!

In Frankenstein, (aside from the fact that Frankenstein created a monster), historical philosophies paved his way into modern science fields.  The idealistic beliefs of the creation of homunculi, alchemy, and immortality served only to augment the vast fervor Frankenstein had.  It was because of history (Because those philosophers were outdated and followed anachronistic ideas.) that the genius that was Frankenstein came to be.

If you would like a more real view, then I introduce you to Psychology.  This is merely me rationalising, but I believe that Psychology is deemed as a History subject for the particular reason that it investigates relationships with human beings, just as History does.

If you would like an actual historical example where ignorance in history has led to problems in society, I take you to current events; 9/11.  Because (ostensibly) many Americans were ignorant of Islam, they persecuted it a great deal.  Imagine all the ruckuses that could have been avoided if people just realised beforehand that Islam wasn't a terrorist religion!

Although AP courses are certainly arduous for many, so long as you try to do well, the fruits of your work will be worthwhile.  AP isn't about memorisation, it's about analytic skills.  I'm sure you've noticed that your teacher hasn't actually taught you some of the things on your quizzes, tests, and exams.  That would be because, unless your memory is absolutely perfect and you've memorised a bunch of textbooks, you're going to rely on your acumen in order to do well on the AP Exam.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Mashi on October 19, 2011, 03:33:47 PMTry saying that the next time there's a holocaust!
Although it's very cliche, that commonly distorted quote about those that don't pay attention to the past are condemned to repeat it is quite true!

In Frankenstein, (aside from the fact that Frankenstein created a monster), historical philosophies paved his way into modern science fields.  The idealistic beliefs of the creation of homunculi, alchemy, and immortality served only to augment the vast fervor Frankenstein had.  It was because of history (Because those philosophers were outdated and followed anachronistic ideas.) that the genius that was Frankenstein came to be.

If you would like a more real view, then I introduce you to Psychology.  This is merely me rationalising, but I believe that Psychology is deemed as a History subject for the particular reason that it investigates relationships with human beings, just as History does.

If you would like an actual historical example where ignorance in history has led to problems in society, I take you to current events; 9/11.  Because (ostensibly) many Americans were ignorant of Islam, they persecuted it a great deal.  Imagine all the ruckuses that could have been avoided if people just realised beforehand that Islam wasn't a terrorist religion!

Although AP courses are certainly arduous for many, so long as you try to do well, the fruits of your work will be worthwhile.  AP isn't about memorisation, it's about analytic skills.  I'm sure you've noticed that your teacher hasn't actually taught you some of the things on your quizzes, tests, and exams.  That would be because, unless your memory is absolutely perfect and you've memorised a bunch of textbooks, you're going to rely on your acumen in order to do well on the AP Exam.

I don't like it much. And it has nothing to do with analyzing, for the most part it actually is writ memorization. Psychology is more of a science, as it has to do with current theories. In addition, it's nothing to do with an AP class; I'm doing great in all of my other AP classes. I just don't see it as being useful in any of my career interests.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Mashi

I feel that Psychology can be deemed as both a scientific and historical subject.  Scientific because the perspectives deal with various scientific ideas and historical because it's based on human growth, interaction, etc.  I suppose it can be viewed more as a Science subject, but my school has it listed under History for whatever reason, so I consider it a History course too!

Anyway, if you're not analysing anything, then something probably isn't right in your class.  You're never going to be asked the dates of a war, or the names of the Native tribes in the Iroquois Confederacy (Though, these facts are certainly helpful to know in some cases.), but you will need to understand why the colonists didn't feel resentment towards Great Britain until after the French and Indian War; knowing facts such as the realisation that the colonists and Great Britain had grown more different between each other than the colonists believed, or that the colonists hated the British idea of impressment is all well and good, but it's also important to note that the Proclamation of 1763, which limited the colonists' rights to expand passed the Appalachian Mountains, caused the colonists to feel that the British policy of salutary neglect had ended, that their belief that the American land was rightfully their's was being challenged, that Great Britain was giving them an order, rather than a piece of advice or urging.  Not to mention that not being able to expand land would reduce the earnings of various colonial peoples, since there would be less land for them to crop, that many people would starve due to lack of food being produced, that colonies wouldn't be able to receive various resources they desired, etc.
Of course, this is an easy one (Since I can't think of one requiring more thought off the top of my head.), but so long as you can understand the significance of an event and what it means, then you should be good.

We should still study together though!

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Ruto on October 19, 2011, 07:11:53 AMLol I remember my teacher making it sound like the Americans really decided to split from England to avoid paying taxes. We didn't use any textbooks for the course, only "A People's History of the United States". I don't know if people agree that it's the main reason, but it was definitely the most overlooked one. America didn't seem so virtuous after that xD
lololol, the only textbook you used was goddamn Zinn?  Man that was painful to read every time we came across it.  He's so disgustingly hyperliberal with his ranting about how everything is a conspiracy against the poor etc etc wah wah wah -____-

me irl
[close]

Nebbles

Has anyone read the Canterbury Tales? At all? I really need help.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

DrP

Quote from: Nebbles on November 02, 2011, 01:44:16 PMHas anyone read the Canterbury Tales? At all? I really need help.
Yep, 2 years ago...

But I forgot, so I am no help

Nebbles

ugh

i'm gonna fail this essay /crawls into corner and sobs

DrP

Quote from: Nebbles on November 02, 2011, 04:47:24 PMugh

i'm gonna fail this essay /crawls into corner and sobs
Try Sparknotes?

KefkaticFanatic

Which part of Canterbury Tales?  Our teacher focused mostly on the Wife of Bath :P

me irl
[close]

Jamaha

Did you know that if an untrained level 12 Pikachu has 28 speed, its IV for speed somewhere between 12 and 19?

Thanks to Mathematics S3, I do now.

Nebbles

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 03, 2011, 08:16:27 AMWhich part of Canterbury Tales?  Our teacher focused mostly on the Wife of Bath :P

The satire that Chaucer used on the characters in the prologue. I got the Yeoman.