News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

EVs, IVs, and all that other crap, how does it work?

Started by Dude, March 26, 2011, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jub3r7

Hm. :/ That does make sense.
But what makes it different from past generations?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Cobraroll

^In previous generations, Exp. yield depended on the species and level of the opponent Pokémon. In this generation, they threw your level into the equation as well. As a result, it's no longer as feasible to power level a single Pokémon during the gameplay (as levelling up now has two factors that slows it down for each level you advance), and it's easier to train a low-levelled Pokémon up to the standards of your team (as it will rake in on Exp. points when it defeats a Pokémon whose level is higher than its own).

For example, I once had a newly hatched, internationally trained Deino who jumped straight up to level 29 after helping defeat a lvl. 67 Conkeldurr. This makes EV training a lot easier, as you can simply defeat a single Pokémon, level waaaay up without messing up your EVs (much), then your Pokémon is strong enough to plow through all the "EV hotspots" (for instance, beating Litwick in Celestial Tower).
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

fingerz

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 16, 2011, 01:02:51 AMAs a result, it's no longer as feasible to power level a single Pokémon during the gameplay...
I still managed to do that successfully. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Cobraroll

^I said not as feasible, not completely impossible. Audino will help you to a certain point, but from there on, it would be better to just proceed. Unless you stay in every area for a LONG time, you'll be slowed down to the level of the next area quite fast anyway. If you proceed through the story with weak Pokémon, they will quickly grow to suit the levels of the trainers there, whereas strong Pokémon won't gain as much from beating the trainers, thus slowing your progress further.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

fingerz

Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Dude

Mega bump, but...

I'm playing a Fire Red hack and almost have all of the stats I want EV trained to the max, is it ok to use rare candies to level it up when I'm finished or is it better to level up by battling?

Shadoninja

Quote from: Dude on June 14, 2012, 03:28:02 PMMega bump, but...

I'm playing a Fire Red hack and almost have all of the stats I want EV trained to the max, is it ok to use rare candies to level it up when I'm finished or is it better to level up by battling?
after EV training, you can use rare candies if you want.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Dude

Ok, I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not.

Thanks.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Dude on June 14, 2012, 03:32:17 PMOk, I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not.

Thanks.
No problem. The only reasons you would battle is to gain EVs or if you're one of those pokemon purists.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

jxjxjx

Quote from: Dude on March 26, 2011, 03:01:37 PMNow where can I get them in White?

You can get them in dream world.

spitllama

You're answering a question from March of last year xD
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

jxjxjx

Can I use this method to get 10 EVs each battle?
Pokemon( 1 ev)+ power item(4 evs) x 2(pokerus) = 10 evs total
Sorry.

spitllama

Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012