EVs, IVs, and all that other crap, how does it work?

Started by Dude, March 26, 2011, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadoninja

berries can be grown in the dream world and then sent to the game. global link isn't available due to the earthquakes and the fact that they're conserving power.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Dude

Quote from: Roz~ on March 26, 2011, 03:22:45 PMwat
Meaning that I could wait till my pokemon reaches Level 100 to EV train. Isn't that what you meant?

Roz~

You could, but how would you raise them to lvl 100? By battling. So you should just EV train them while you're also trying to get them to lvl 100.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

Dude

Quote from: Roz~ on March 26, 2011, 04:09:21 PMYou could, but how would you raise them to lvl 100? By battling.
What about rare candies or the daycare?

Roz~

Daycare = D:
Too long.

Rare Candies are okay though, faster than last gens, because now you don't have to select them all from your bag.
You could do that, I guess I don't think it's a good idea just because I'm used to train them before getting them to lvl 100.

Nana1Popo2

how do you EV train your pokemon in battle?

is it simply, defeat a pokemon in battle, gain EV's? Like, if I were to look up how many EV's i would get for defeating a Rattata (1), then go in the game and defeat one, the EV's are gained?

and because the 1 EV i can gain from a Rattata is under the Speed column (im looking at the list of pokemon and ev's), i would get 1 EV in Speed for the pokemon that defeated the Rattata?
Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity; ASU Alumnus '16; DCP '16

Ruto

Quote from: Nana1Popo2 on March 26, 2011, 05:44:42 PMhow do you EV train your pokemon in battle?

is it simply, defeat a pokemon in battle, gain EV's? Like, if I were to look up how many EV's i would get for defeating a Rattata (1), then go in the game and defeat one, the EV's are gained?

and because the 1 EV i can gain from a Rattata is under the Speed column (im looking at the list of pokemon and ev's), i would get 1 EV in Speed for the pokemon that defeated the Rattata?

I haven't looked up the EV stuff in it first came out, but if the Pokemon gained any experience from defeating that Rattata, it would get the EV from it (+1 Speed).  So if you're using an Exp. Share, both the Pokemon holding the Exp. Share and the actual battler would get the same EV. Er...correct me if I'm wrong.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Roz~

IIRC you're right Ruto. If you defeat a Rattata and one of your Pokémon holds the Exp. Share, it will also gain 1 Spe IV.

Nana1Popo2 ~> Yep. Every time you defeat a Pokémon, you gain EVs. If you want your Pokémon to have 252 Spe EVs, you'd have to defeat 252 Rattata. But because of Pokerus and Items you'd have to defeat ~25 of them.

Taser9090

I already know about EVs and IVs, but I don't understand what you guys mean when you say EVs are recalculated after battles.

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

Roz~

EVs are recalculated after battles instead of being taken in consideration when your 'mons level up. That's all there is to it really.
I haven't tried it yet though so I'm still a bit skeptical about that. I'll try it with some random event Arceus.

Taser9090

Wait, does that mean that EV's will automatically be added to the stat once it there is four EV points?

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

Dude

Off topic: Taser, I found a better way of expressing how you feel about Animal Crossing in Japanese.

私がどうぶつの森ã,'大好きです
Or you don't even need the "Watashi" in the sentence, as "I" is already assumed.  Also, "Desu"  makes it more formal (I think), so if you want to get rid of it, that's fine.

どうぶつの森ã,'大好き
On topic: I think I'm starting to get it now. I just need to learn about natures and stuff and then just keep some paper nearby so I can write what EVs I want.

Thanks everyone!

Roz~

For natures you can just check them on Smogon/Serebii.
This thread reminded me that I have a buttload of 'mons to EV train. Bleh.

Jub3r7

It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Shadoninja

"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman