News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Music Theory

Started by Winter, March 05, 2011, 03:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpy_heart

http://www.musictheory.net/
That's a good start. The exercises work quite well. I was referred to it from my theory teacher in high school. I've advanced far past it now, but for all those who have no idea where to start, I'd start there.

Offkey

Quote from: pumpy_heart on March 18, 2011, 09:32:25 AMhttp://www.musictheory.net/
That's a good start. The exercises work quite well. I was referred to it from my theory teacher in high school. I've advanced far past it now, but for all those who have no idea where to start, I'd start there.

Myeah I looked there before, but they sort of lost me somewhere near the part about thirds and fifths and stuff but I still went on clueless, maybe I just went too fast through it ^^
The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Youtube channel.
Video's coming soon(ish).

Neiryth

If you guys know any good books, plz let me know. I been reading "Muisc Theory For Dummies", but if you got anymore or advice it would be nice.
also not to jack in and take your post but if you guys have tips for composeing let me know, I been trying to make some stuff but its pretty hard.

kirby_superstar

At my dad's house I had a musical encyclopaedia. Despite not being structured as a treatise on harmony or whatever, it was really fun to look through. And if you needed something explained or discussed, you could look it up in the index. Everything from plagal cadences to Carmen. However, I'm sure an actual book on music would be more helpful. Something like what I mentioned is much more useful for reference, trivia, or fun if you're a music geek like me, ahahaha.

I find that the best way to study theory is to delve yourself into it if you enjoy. After some study and teaching yourself, find a teacher who's got a passion for teaching students about the science and mechanics of music. :) Honestly, some teachers noticeably don't enjoy doing it and overcharge. :P
x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

Sekter77

The difficult thing about music theory is that there are so many different topics to look at. Song structure and form, chord theory and harmonization, dynamics and articulation, etc. Music history is also pretty important too.

I only really know about rhythms and chords and stuff, and even then it's not a whole lot of knowledge. If I had time for real lessons again (hopefully this summer!) then I'd really like to learn more as it helps a lot when arranging and composing (something I'd hopefully like to try someday).

Finding a good teacher probably is the best thing you can do, then it just takes some practice to learn.
Guitar and video games.

Fleetstar The Flygon

Quote from: Offkey on March 05, 2011, 03:27:58 PMTbh, my theory knowledge is so poor, I don't even know this circle stuff. I should study it a bit, any suggestions for that? Unlike all you lucky sods I didn't have music classes starting at age 3, makes me feel so out of place :(
Same here!