News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Music Theory

Started by Winter, March 05, 2011, 03:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winter

Ever been playing an instrument and had a breakthrough with music theory and wanted to share it? this is the place.

During my piano lessons yesterday, my teacher told me it would be good to learn Some music from Spirited Away. he showed me how they use this really relaxing chord that is just notes climbing up the circle of fifths.

I never thought they would sound good together... But it really works xD

Play in order ascending up the piano: D>A>E>F>C>G

Sounds amazing. :p

anyway.
__________________________________________________________________________________

universe-X

If you play a string instrument (besides bass), that's an evident truth :P I always pluck all my strings at once before I tune my cello. If it sounds good, I know I'll have an easier chance with the fine tuners. From lowest to highest, the strings are C>G>D>A... fifths :P

MaestroUGC

Circle of fifths...really guys? I thought you meant music theory as in the stuff beyond the first week of classes.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Offkey

Tbh, my theory knowledge is so poor, I don't even know this circle stuff. I should study it a bit, any suggestions for that? Unlike all you lucky sods I didn't have music classes starting at age 3, makes me feel so out of place :(
The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Youtube channel.
Video's coming soon(ish).

MaestroUGC

Neither did I, I didn't start with music until 5 years ago. I just took the time outside of high school to educate myself.

Winter

Um yeah I know my circle of fifths, sharps/flats/related keys, I get all that, but I never thought of using the notes together in chords, it was interesting, it gives you Suspended 2nd chords of of each of the notes as if they were all roots.

interesting.

Anyways I've only been studying theory for 2 years.

And Maestro, you make me feel like I /can't/ mention the Circle of Fifths. it's an integral part of music.

Slow, you may recognize that chord from the beginning of some Spirited away music?

MaestroUGC

Speaking of breakthroughs, I found that tone rows, when used in fugues, can allow the composer to jump voices and still retain the necessary elements that make the fugue unique. That means the subject can be introduced by one voice, but can be completed by another due to the nature of tone rows. Of course the actual material is fragmented, but if done using vocals, it can lead to some very trippy effects.

Brassman388

I like to write shit that sounds cool.

MaestroUGC

Brassman388

Yeah, I've been kinda lazy about the whole theory part of it. I got the gist of it so far and seems to work fine. I'll get around to it eventually.

Jub3r7

....I, really, fail at theory when writing out the sounds on a sheet of paper.

When I mess around with chords on the piano it can sound cool and unique, but I can't tell you at all what kind of chord it is.  :'(
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

SlowPokemon

You can be a good pianist just by learning music, just playing perfectly, picking up songs that everyone likes.

You can only be a GREAT pianist if you learn songs that you perhaps don't like. And even if you don't like them, you understand why they were written the way they were. You cannot be a great pianist unless you understand music theory, at least to a point.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

universe-X

I must be a great pianist then. But definitely no virtuoso... :-\ lol

Anyone know of a good site to study theory?

Olimar12345

no websites-the internet sucks at that kind of thing... i use books.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!