News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

What is the most nostalgic game for you?

Started by SlowPokemon, November 28, 2010, 09:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Quote from: fingerz on April 06, 2011, 05:25:56 PMGlares are always exchanged between my bros and I when we play this. :P
god, its nonstop yelling and violence when my friends and I play this.  -_-"
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

fingerz

Hahaha. Well I'm a meat shield between both of mine. :P
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Greg

It's pretty sad. I've done the final battle FIVE TIMES and my brothers kill me every time.

This should give you an idea of how good my brothers are.
I have 26 continues.
My bros have 50 AND 55 APIECE.
(and the one with 55 is in a bubble on EVERY hard level, so... you get the idea.)

SlowPokemon

Quote from: fingerz on April 06, 2011, 05:25:56 PMYeah, I have that game. Expletives are always exchanged between my bros and I when we play this. :P

*fixed to fit my situation
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Greg

Expletives? Ooooh, that's pretty bad.  :o

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how this game is nostalgic...  ;)

kirby_superstar

I haven't read through this thread yet but I must say that my most nostalgic game is probably LoZ:MM.
I don't even know if I can begin to describe how I feel about the game. Everything in it.
The atmosphere. The music.
The stress. The themes. The heart-break.

The game really reaches out and plucks at my heart strings.
The game is so escapist for me. I dunno if anyone else feels that way though.
It's that alienation. You (Link) go through time, repeating the same period over and over again--
rushing around helping everyone out, doing your best for them. But of course. It's in vain. They can't ever really know you've done this. You're effectively and constantly wiping their memories or the footprints they've made in 3 days worth of time.
Moreover, you never have enough time to help out everyone in one cycle. It's an insurmountable task and it's simply impossible.
So? You soar back through time and help someone else out this time. But. Are you an altruist then?
If these people never remember the events, then you must be doing it for yourself--unless you believe that the people you helped live on in an alternate universe (in which they're still doomed to die). And at other hush times, you have to ask yourself with a weird tone, does someone's spirit transcend death? You can't repeat the events whereby you save Darmani or Mikau. Are you going crazy? Jumping so devotedly into a game with so many eerie and inexplicable elements.
And then there's that aspect of the game where if you get too caught up in it, you too wonder where YOUR friend went.
....Even though most evidence points to Navi, a part of me feels like it's Saria too. And even though Link should love the princess and it's the most logical choice,
I think he's always been in love with Saria. Always.

I dunno how the directors and writers and composers and everyone did it but the game is SO cathartic.
I can honestly feel all these different emotions from the people that put work into the game and it goes way beyond the satisfaction of completing the notebook, or the quest for the heart pieces, or upgrading your sword, finding all the masks or even beating the game. I think for many people, the question is, "What the fuck were those crazy Japanese smoking?"
But for me, the question is, "What were they feeling?" The game is so poignant and heart-wrenching despite being just that, a game. I could honestly go on FOREVER about this epic.
The utter ridiculousness of the games fantasy elements, the dark humour, the chaotic atmosphere, the undercurrent of love or something, it all hits home so hard.
I know I sound like a loon, and justly so, but I can't deny the effect that game had on my young young brain.
Even to this day I wish I could warp back in time and fix any little mistakes I've made--even if it's just to make an old woman smile.

x = y + 1. Where x = current post count, and y = previous post count.

Jub3r7

You get the same feeling of missing Saria in Ocarina of Time.

But, alas, she symbolizes the innocence that he leaves behind as he grows older.
In life you have to say good-bye to old friends, and make new ones.

Unfortunately, if Link were to have a crush on Saria later in the game, it would be considered pedophilia...
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

kirby_superstar

Oh, I know. I love OoT almost as much.
And I get the feeling. I mean, calling her up on the ocarina to hear her voice? How her song plays in the woods.
The saddest part is when she's no longer sitting there under the entrance to the Forest Temple.

I don't think it's really pedophilia. Link's growing-up is very artificial.
He is much more mature at the end of OoT (where he is a child again) but I think Saria would be too, recognizing her role as a sage.
Saria might not have grown up physically, being a Kokiri, but unless Saria is much much older or ageless or whatever...
I think they'd be the same age, regardless of appearance. In any case, their friendship just rips my heart out... for some reason.

Jub3r7

It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

fabbemannen

Most emotional game?
hmm...probably one of the older pokemon games, or the Spyro-series (3 first ps1 games)

My first game (I bought and owns) is NHL 2000 for PS1
But I'm not sure over the first game I've played.
I have some really old memories about Jazz Jackrabbit and some other small pc-games
Then I used to borrow a couple of neighbours Sega Megadrive (mm...talespin)

kirby_superstar

Quote from: Jub3r7 on April 14, 2011, 12:51:09 PMYou're running to leave the forest behind forever...

And you don't even say good-bye.

When I was young, I just didn't understand their feelings. And now that I get it, I find it heartbreaking.
I feel like it hurt so much he didn't even have the strength to say bye.
I'm never saying good-bye to someone on a bridge. :(