News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Providing PDF and MSCZ?

Started by Shy Guy, September 13, 2010, 11:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Winter

Heres an idea... Have all members create a sort of Assembly Line with all of the active members. W'e'd get a lot done that way

Jub3r7

That doesn't sound like it would run too well. There's nothing wrong with the idea, but it seems like
the process of getting a partially completed one to the next person would be as easy as doing the next part yourself...
Although I could be wrong. I'm not an expert at conversions and uploading, as suggested earlier when I mentioned megafire. >_<
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Ruto

I'm up for it. Better get this to whoever does the layout xD

I use PDF Creator since I haven't gotten Cute Pdf to work, but I guess that you guys should post here next week with links to the pdfs you've created. Be sure to include the original arranger's on the file info when you create the file, and any other relevant information. We don't want any more thieves like that ebay jackass. Also, it makes up for all the sheets I've started but never gotten around to finish!

Quote from: Jub3r7 on October 27, 2010, 06:54:50 PMThat doesn't sound like it would run too well. There's nothing wrong with the idea, but it seems like
the process of getting a partially completed one to the next person would be as easy as doing the next part yourself...
Although I could be wrong. I'm not an expert at conversions and uploading, as suggested earlier when I mentioned megafire. >_<

There are a lot of sheets by people who are no longer active or who don't want to change the massive amount of sheets they already arranged. Helping them out would but good for people who haven't arranged stuff yet :D

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Shadoninja

if we are going to go through with this idea, I think it'd be best to concentrate on the properly formatted and accurate songs first.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

The Deku Trombonist

There's one little thing I'm not following with this idea. How are people going to download the PDF files if they are not going to be on the site? There are plenty of people who use this site and never look at the forums.

Ruto

Would it hurt to post the "sample links here" and then start a section for it later when you guys have time to?

Winter

What i meant was (example)

ruto converts them to pdf then sends them to someone else through forum or email, and the next person uploads them and creates a new column for pdf files on the main site and as the process goes along, they add the new pages to the list.

I could do that all on my own, but that would be smoother, plus person needs privelages to update. and formatting.

The Deku Trombonist

It's not up to me or the other mods to start a section for PDF's, it's up to JaMaHa because the organisation of the database and so on needs to be modified (Although I can't see that adding an extra column to a database would be too difficult).

As for sample links, I'm a little lost as to how that would work/where the links would go.

The forum apparently informs me that new reply has been posted. So everything above the line was in reply to Ruto's post.

And now for next post. It's not just about the formatting. Many of the old arrangements on the site have serious fundamental flaws regarding correct notes and playability (not to mention readability). And as I've said before, if/when PDFs are added, I'm quite happy to personally go through and convert every good sheet on the site (and maybe fix up some shit ones while I'm at it too). But, none of the updaters (to my knowledge anyway) have the ability to add PDFs, as I said in the top half.

Shadoninja

Quote from: Shadoninja on October 27, 2010, 07:01:42 PMif we are going to go through with this idea, I think it'd be best to concentrate on the properly formatted and accurate songs first.
as i've said.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Winter

I think that makes sense, although  we COULD do all of them, and convert them, and every time a sheet is fixed, that person would go in and up the pdf along with it, problem solved?

The Deku Trombonist

Not quite "problem solved." There's still this.
Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 27, 2010, 07:34:14 PMIt's not up to me or the other mods to start a section for PDF's, it's up to JaMaHa...

Ruto

@Deku

Jamaha's probably not going to be around long enough until Christmas, and if not that, then whenever his military service is over...like I said, the most that can be done right now is to convert some sheets, and provide a link to them in a forum post, not the main site. There could be an announcement on the front page that leads to that forum post, but yeah, that's it.

I guess if a designated forum post happens, whoever's up to converting the sheets would reserve the first posts on the thread, and keep editing the same post to add links. Suggestions, and tips for which sheet is..qualified? >__> to be converted into a PDF would follow these reserved posts.

Here's what I mean:

1st post in thread: [PURPOSE of post, relevant info]
2nd: Converter #1's links
3rd: Converter #2's links
All the way up to the nth contributor, no comments should be placed in between the reserved posts!!

When all the spaces are filled, then come the comments, eg:
Deku post: I think this sheet from X should be done next.
Slow post: I think this sheet should be done, lalalala.

If there are any conflicts, like "I don't think this should be a PDF yet" then the contributor's link to the would be removed and will only be back up if the edited sheet meets the standard.

Winter

What board would this be under?

I'm thinking about sending JaMaHa a message so I could get the privelages needed to do this, but would he trust that I'd follow through? Personally I know I'd be a big help

But yeah what board should I start the topic?

Ruto

It seems that "NSM>Submissions" would be the way to go. Better get some moderator to say "I approve this idea to create this post there" before we start changing anyone's files!

Also, if someone requests that their work should NOT be allowed to be changed into pdf, they can say so as a comment. If anyone would also like to add their links but don't have a "reserved post", PMing their file links to anyone with a reserved post should be done. This should make the thread more organized and probably result in less cluttered inboxes.

I think this pdf idea would be good to have direct proof for future thieves if we can provide a pdf created before they "came out" with theirs. In this case, it's really important to enter the necessary, correct info for every single file!