News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

Super Mario Galaxy Main Theme a PLAGIARISM?!

Started by Korados, September 05, 2010, 11:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korados

When I first listended to the third movement of Erich Wolfgang Korngold's Violin Concerto I noticed a significant similarity to the
Super Mario Galaxy Main Theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vniCuX5eak

From 1:12 to 1:26 both the key sig. and the notes are the same! Only the rhythm is slightly different and the SMG Main Theme being an octave higher. From 4:44 to 5:02, there is the big reprise of that theme, just in F Major, but the orchestration with the brass section playing the melody gives the polish to concern that this theme is a plagiarism made by Koji Kondo.

Compare it to the arrangements of that theme on the site and with the "original" here, the theme also is in SMG 2, as the soundtrack is mostly made from variations of the first game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqihUzi_714 (first seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppDiC7QThkg (first seconds)

What do you think about this? I wouldn't offend Kondo for this, as Korngold's concerto is often played in Japan, he just might had the melody is his head and didn't noticed the similarity, but if he would be confronted with that, he could be indicted of plagiarism.

universe-X

Nice ear you have there. :P Kondo may have just adapted to these styles, or for all we know, it's just a huge coincidence. :P

A lot of the stuff in SMG (especially music) is unoriginal anyway. ::)

dahans

First of all I must say, this violin concerto is amazing!

But I don't think it's plagiarism... it's just similar to the SMG theme. (I did not know that korngold was austrian! woo!)
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

MaestroUGC

This isn't plagiarism, a few seconds of music matching isn't much of a case.

Yes, there are similarties, but the odds that Kondo intended to steal this music is very minimal. The Concerto itself is relatively obscure so even if Kondo had heard it, that brief motif isn't anything special. That happens all of the time in music, one composer will write a few measures and years later another will write an entire melody that seems to match.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: universe-X on September 05, 2010, 11:56:38 AMA lot of the stuff in SMG (especially music) is unoriginal anyway. ::)

I have lost 99% of my respect for you.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Korados

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 05, 2010, 04:24:18 PMI have lost 99% of my respect for you.

Actually it is true, listen to the battle's against Bowser and Bowser Jr. Bowser's theme is severely based on russian folk songs, like "Volga Boat Men". Bowser Jr's theme is based on hungarian and bohemian folk songs, like from Dvorak, Liszt and Bartok.

SlowPokemon

Wow, now using styles of music that have been used before is considered plagiarism?

If you play through SMG and tell me it was 99% unoriginal, including music, and you aren't KefkaticFanatic, there is seriously something wrong with you.

universe-X

Whoa, whoa, whoa now.

I never said it was "99% unoriginal". But a lot of the stuff is based off of old Mario games. Actually, it's more of SMG2 than SMG1 that's bringing these nostalgia stuff back.

Koopa's Road Music
SMB Overworld theme (however, this is a must-have)
Remixes of various songs from SMG1 into SMG2
Peach's & Bowser's lines in SMG1 have basicly been copy+pasted into just about all the Mario games after Galaxy (NSMBW, for example, "Help!" or "Maarrriooooo!" -Peach)

So, it kinda goes back and forth. :-\

Utilizing a style is different; you get many more ideas for songs when studying different styles.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 06, 2010, 07:38:26 AMand you aren't KefkaticFanatic
and please, just drop him. Forget about him. If you don't like him, then stop talking about him. -.-

SlowPokemon

I do like him. He just irritates me to the point of occasional dislike (or hate).

Also, you forgot Throwback Galaxy. :D

They did that for nostalgia, not because they're running out of ideas.

All these frickin' Nintendo DSes... running out of ideas.

universe-X

Hahaha, well if you can think of a better design/platform such as the 3DS, please share ;)

SlowPokemon

No, I'm excited for it as much as the next Nintendo fanatic, but I'm just saying, they are really milking this DS thing. :)

KefkaticFanatic

Modern music is based off of classical all the time.

It could even be subconscious.  A composer could have heard the tune at one point in time, and in their head they think of the music and just add it in along with everything else.

me irl
[close]

Dude

A ton of ZUN's compositions have little tidbits of other songs.

I'd list them, but I'm lazy.

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]

Korados

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on September 06, 2010, 05:35:44 PMHMM THIS SOUNDS QUITE FAMILIAR EH

What a nice song. With Kirkhope it's the same. Listen to Bizet's L'Arlesienne Suite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y09pD1r-Qs

and compare it with the Gloomy Galleon theme from DK64:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5wZ8nla_g

Both songs are in c minor!