News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

TheDreamingHawk

Quote from: Altissimo on February 26, 2016, 08:01:12 AMholy shit you're like my polar opposite first you dislike explorers and then oras

Explorers I only hate due to the characters. ORAS I hate due to the heartbreak. I'd go into more detail but ATM I'm going to take a test. I'll just come back later and explain why I really can't trust game freak any more. (Early TLDR: it was lazily made compared to the superior remake that HGSS provided)

My Video Game review website: http://www.seafoamgaming.com

My Youtube Gameplay/retrospective channel: https://www.youtube.com/SeafoamGaming

Latios212

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on February 26, 2016, 08:17:30 AM(Early TLDR: it was lazily made compared to the superior remake that HGSS provided)
I don't not trust Game Freak or anything but I do agree with this point. ORAS didn't really feel very fresh and didn't bring much new aside from the Delta Episode. They didn't even include the Battle Frontier. I easily have only a fraction of the hours logged on ORAS as I do on many of my other games.

Oh, and the music. None of the remixes are particularly remarkable, especially when you compare them to how HG/SS had a great amount of wonderfully re-imagined tracks like Cianwood City, National Park, New Bark Town, Route 29, Pewter City....
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

BlackDragonSlayer

WOO NEW GAMES HYPE.

Quote from: TheDreamingHawk on February 26, 2016, 08:17:30 AM(Early TLDR: it was lazily made compared to the superior remake that HGSS provided)
Personally, I thought that ORAS did more justice to their original games than HGSS (though maybe I was expecting something more along the lines of what Black/White did later).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SlowPokemon

@Latios and TDH
I mean there's nothing I can do except disagree haha but I am pretty sad that some people feel that way. I constantly see "They didn't even include the Battle Frontier" in complaints about the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire and this argument just pisses me off to no end. I get it, you want the Battle Frontier and they opted for a straight remake of Ruby and Sapphire with only a couple elements of Emerald. Is that really enough to dislike an entire game over? The original elements of Ruby and Sapphire were enhanced immensely. Complaining about the music? They went for (in most cases) a straight revamping of the original instrumentation--not because they were lazy, but because the only reason they changed the GS music so much was because the GBC was so limited that they couldn't produce the type of atmosphere they really wanted. They'd have been foolish to make three line arrangements of all of the 8-bit stuff, but if they already accomplished the mood they were after in the GBA's midi files, it's their creative call to use them and update them.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dudeman

I agree with Slow about the soundtrack. I'm a Gen 3 child, and hearing the tracks beautifully remastered, not rearranged, was probably the largest nostalgia overload I've had. Why should we get a completely new soundtrack? The old one is so good that all they had to do was update the soundfont.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Latios212

The lack of Battle Frontier isn't the reason I dislike the game :P I just don't feel that motivated to play it; I can't exactly place a finger on what it is, but I just enjoyed XY (if we're comparing gen 6 games) or HGSS (if we're comparing remakes) a whole lot more.

In regards to the music, I gotta disagree there too haha. I wouldn't buy a remake just because they've assigned new soundfonts to the tracks. I'm not saying they should re-do every track, but I didn't feel like there was enough to keep it feeling fresh. Furthermore, I feel like the emphasis on melody and bass in the ORAS soundtrack even diminishes the appeal of these tracks - I agree that the soundtrack did a good job of setting the mood in RS, but I don't feel the same certain charm when listening to the new tracks. Take Route 101, for example. Where did the 16th-note runs (starting at around 0:17) go from the original? They're not even audible unless you're listening really closely. This sort of route (no pun intended) taken with many of the tracks leaves ORAS tracks all sounding sort of similar to each other, if that makes any sense. Even in terms of preservation I don't feel like the ORAS soundtrack did a great job. Of course, it's still good and that's why I bought it and have it on my phone to listen to :P

No offense intended, just stating why I like one more than the other. I respect your valid opinions of course ^^

ninja'd by Dudeman but same applies

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

I dislike the inclusion of so much forced railroading but pretty much everything else was on point. HGSS i took issue with because while they did expand a lot of stuff it wasn't enough to fix the inherent issues I had with GSC. In general ORAS felt like a revamp of RSE and thar's what I prefer. FRLG are my least favorite main line games because they are too much like a point for point faithful remake (which resulted in psychic remaining a horribly broken type bc there werent any dark or steel mons available, among other things) whereas I prefer a little bit of new ingenuity. So i like ORAS best as remakes and as games. They felt fleshed out and I liked that.

mikey

unmotivated

Altissimo

I don't mind the sevii islands. My hatred of most of the rest of frlg outweighs that.

Nebbles

The Sevii Islands were kinda lackluster to me ngl
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Dudeman on February 26, 2016, 08:57:50 AMI agree with Slow about the soundtrack. I'm a Gen 3 child, and hearing the tracks beautifully remastered, not rearranged, was probably the largest nostalgia overload I've had. Why should we get a completely new soundtrack? The old one is so good that all they had to do was update the soundfont.
Yeah, same here. Except for one piece of music: Fortree City. While it might not be a big deal to some people, Fortree City is quite possibly my favorite town in the entire series, so remixing it in a way that didn't jive with me was definitely a bit of a letdown. It's not bad, but I love the faster & upbeat track in the originals a lot more.

Since I bring it up: What are your favorite towns/cities in the main games? I'd love to hear!

BrainyLucario

Opelucid City (White) was always my favorite. It's music is really soothing and the old design of it is really spectacular.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Nebbles

Kanto: Lavender Town. Yep, you heard me. I dig the spooky.
Johto: Ecruteak City without a doubt. Best music and the atmosphere is so charming.
Hoenn: Lilycove City, the music is beautiful and it's a beautiful city by the ocean.
Sinnoh: Toss between Hearthome and Canalave. Both have great music, and Canalave has just a special feel to it.
Unova: Drifveil City had the best music, favorite town wise uhh, not sure.
Kalos: lol
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Latios212

Oh god so many to choose from. Picking from original versions here.
Kanto: Idk, Celadon maybe? They're all around the same level of awesomeness.
Johto: Nope just nope can't pick. I love New Bark, Cherrygrove, Violet, Azalea, Goldenrod, and Ecruteak to death. That's all of them.
Hoenn: Verdanturf is a step above the rest.
Sinnoh: There's a bunch of great ones but Canalave is my favorite.
Unova: I'm with Brainy here. Opelucid White is fantastic. Anville's pretty good too.
Kalos: Probably Lumiose. Coumarine is also great.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

Kanto: Cinnabon Island
Johto: Goldenrod (I don't know any of the cities really)
Hoenn: Lilycove bro.  I'm SOOOO confused why they updated mauville when lilycove seemed to be the hub town of hoenn
Sinnoh: ohhh... uh... Sunyshore
Unova: ???
Kalos: what is this place never heard of it
unmotivated