News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on August 04, 2014, 09:26:59 PMYou're better off with going for two Meteor Mashes, instead of having to Trick and then Earthquake. Trick is a waste of a moveslot that cripples you until you use it.
The whole point is to cripple whatever you Trick the Iron Ball to (especially something that would threaten Metagross without it). Since Metagross is already so slow, Iron Ball doesn't hinder it very much in the first place.

QuoteAnd "commonly used" my fucking ass. Ladder up to 1500 and then tell me how many Iron Balls you see.
I said "commonly used as part of a Utility set" not just "commonly used" (e.g. people who use a Utility set might use Trick/Iron Ball).

Additionally, I'm currently at 1476 (trying out a variety of different teams, currently one centered around Mega Heracross) and I haven't seen very many Metagross in general, Assault Vest or otherwise (most likely because of the Knock Off buff and Steel nerf).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Olimar12345

Off topic here, but does anyone happen to have a pokemon with the ability analytic they would spare? I'm breeding and could really use the help :/
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Waddle Bro

Again, Thunder Wave is a much superior option to Trick/Iron Ball(although that seems like a waste of a moveslot with Rocks to me!) and I'm not going to argue about it any further. Also Metagross is UU, so it's more seen in that metagame.

What Pokemon are you trying to breed, Olimar? btw you're not off-topic one bit

Echo

Okay, Iron Ball + Trick Metagross is a thing, but it really shouldn't be.

Like, the things you would swap an Iron Ball on, either still threaten Metagross regardless so you have to do it on the switch, or you would get similar or better results using other moves. Rotom-W's probably the best thing you could use the anti-Levitate gimmick for, but it can still pack Will-o-Wisp, so you lose. Metagross doesn't do more than 50% to Skarmory with Earthquake, so it still laughs at you with Roost. Stuff like Thundurus, you could just Rock Slide/Ice Punch or even Zen Headbutt for a lot of damage anyway. And so on and so forth, until you get to stuff like Air Balloon Excadrill/Heatran where it could be useful, but it's too situational, and you could just break the Balloon on the switch anyway since you have to rely on getting them on the switch with Trick. And that's not even mentioning Pokemon that don't worry too much about losing Ground immunity anyway and still threaten Metagross, like Landorus or Gyarados (who could even be Mega and not be able to be Tricked).

Just looking at Metagross w/Trick overall, Scarf is probably a better option, since unlike Iron Ball which ignores Metagross's poor Speed, Choice Scarf mitigates that disadvantage instead, while being even more useful in crippling utility Pokemon like Skarmory.

Quote from: UnknownKirbyMan on August 04, 2014, 03:31:55 AMWell...
It's been quite a while since I've been here.
I'm needing a Metagross with trick, stealth rock, and adamant nature.
No way to get those moves without B2/W2.
Any willing to trade for that?
I only have a copy of X right now.

I mean pokemon,  not games...

I could help you, just send me a PM or something so we can discuss when to trade. Although, I would consider the above discussion depending on what kind of Metagross moveset you want to use.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 04, 2014, 10:58:31 PMOff topic here, but does anyone happen to have a pokemon with the ability analytic they would spare? I'm breeding and could really use the help :/

I could probably help you too, but yeah, it'd help to know which Pokemon in particular you're breeding.

Waddle Bro

Echo my main man over here serving like no end :]

You forgot Zapdos, but it's uncommon and carries Heat Wave.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Echo on August 05, 2014, 12:02:52 AMRotom-W's probably the best thing you could use the anti-Levitate gimmick for, but it can still pack Will-o-Wisp, so you lose.
252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 234-276 (76.9 - 90.7%)

252+ Atk burned Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 117-138 (38.4 - 45.3%)

Even with a burn, it still 2HKO's Rotom-W (assuming the first attack was without a burn). Afterwards, you can get rid of the burn with Chansey's Heal Bell/Aromatherapy so Metagross isn't complete dead weight.

QuoteMetagross doesn't do more than 50% to Skarmory with Earthquake, so it still laughs at you with Roost.
True, but using a physical attacker against a physical wall generally isn't a good idea in the first place. :P

QuoteStuff like Thundurus, you could just Rock Slide/Ice Punch or even Zen Headbutt for a lot of damage anyway.
252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 330-390 (110 - 130%)

252+ Atk Metagross Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 248-292 (82.6 - 97.3%)
252+ Atk Metagross Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 248-292 (82.6 - 97.3%)

QuoteAnd so on and so forth, until you get to stuff like Air Balloon Excadrill/Heatran where it could be useful, but it's too situational, and you could just break the Balloon on the switch anyway since you have to rely on getting them on the switch with Trick.
If you Trick Iron Ball to Excadrill on the switch, you don't take the heavy damage that Excadrill will do to you, and can OHKO it (and you get an Air Balloon :3). Heatran, as well, can potentially burn Metagross.

QuoteAnd that's not even mentioning Pokemon that don't worry too much about losing Ground immunity anyway and still threaten Metagross, like Landorus or Gyarados (who could even be Mega and not be able to be Tricked).
Even so, it allows other Pokemon (that would otherwise be outsped) to handle the threat; this also includes Pokemon which aren't specifically a threat to Metagross, but to other teammates.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

Actually like 70% of the Rotom-Ws are physically defensive to counter in this metagame to wall threats like Talonflame.
252+ Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 170-200 (55.9 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
After burn, the Metagross would be rendered useless and easy setup fodder for half the metagame and wouldn't give a shit if you got rocks up. Besides, no good player would leave their Iron Balled Rotom on an incoming EQ if they knew it'd kill.

And if I were to run Metagross as a support Mon, I wouldn't give it max Attack anyways. I recommend noting how common Knock Off is nowadays. Thunder Wave is far more reliable.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Waddle Bro on August 04, 2014, 11:22:13 PMWhat Pokemon are you trying to breed, Olimar? btw you're not off-topic one bit

A female Elgyem/Beheeyem if possible.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

unmotivated

Waddle Bro

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 05, 2014, 09:02:47 AMwat
how
The Gen VI Steel resistance nerf gave it two new weaknesses.

And Olimar, I recommend checking GTS for easy Elgyem trades, if you get lucky, someone might be offering an Analytic one they got as a leftover from IV breeding.

FireArrow

Cummon people, Iron Ball/Trick Klefki is where it's at.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Nebbles

Nah, Iron Defense Klefki all the way. Physical attacks don't do jack shit.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

FireArrow

Wynaut both.

Klefki @ Iron Ball
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 SpD, 4 Def
-Trick
-Iron Defense
-Light Screen
-Moonblast or some shit

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Nebbles

Nah, mine's purely for Prankster purposes only in Doubles.

Klefki @ Leftovers, Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Thunder Wave
-Foul Play
-Swagger
-Iron Defense
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Waddle Bro

Nebbles you're such a cunt for running that set