News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

General Pokémon

Started by DrP, July 18, 2010, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite Mega Evolution (G2)

Ampharos
Scizor
Heracross
Houndoom
Tyranitar

E. Gadd Industries

20th Anniversary.
And the whole trading thing was my thought for why it shouldn't be, but I didn't think about the whole "Pocket" aspect.
(And sorry, Slow :P )
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

JDMEK5

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on May 04, 2016, 07:47:20 AMIs it just me, or have they been throwing legendaries around a lot recently? ORAS, PSMD and the Hoopa movie all seem to be marketed as "LEGENDARIES ARE COOL, BUY OUR STUFF!".
Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on May 04, 2016, 07:50:00 AM20th Anniversary.
Nope. (With the exception of the large number of legendary events taking place this year) Here's the correct answer:
The Pokémon movies are always purposed to showcase one or two legendaries. They're the focus of the plot and often are even named in the title. I don't know about PSMD, but the deal with all the legendaries being obtainable in ORAS has to do with the icon that ends up on the Pokédex entry of obtained Pokémon in X/Y/OR/AS. Either it's a pokeball icon or a Kalos icon. The Pokeball icon means the only Pokemon that registered in the pokedex was obtained originally through earlier generations. That is, it wasn't originally caught in X/Y/OR/AS. A "complete" pokedex has all pokemon registered obtained with the Kalos icon, which is obtained through registering a pokemon native to one of the 3DS games. Thus, catching legends in OR/AS results in the complete Kalos icon, where any other (non-cheating) method would result in the "incomplete" pokeball icon. This is also why they're redoing all events for legendary pokemon this year. It's the only way to "complete" the pokedex.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Nitro Indigo

PSMD was marketed as having legendaries in it, and some people have said that the plot focused too much on "legendaries are cool" rather than the consequences of the disasters.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

SlowPokemon

^it definitely felt exactly like that

"Oh the plot's not interesting enough? How about we have seventeen more legendaries show up"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

While PMD1's plot wasn't the greatest, at least they didn't throw legendaries into EVERYTHING. If it'd been made today, Ninetales probably wouldn't be a Ninetales. It's like the writers see legendaries as gimmicks.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Altissimo

Xerneas and Yveltal were very much a part of the plot in PSMD though I can't speak for like, the legendary beasts or anything

one thing about PMD1 is that there were a shitton fewer legendaries ahaha

SlowPokemon

I really, really didn't care for the plot of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon at all. I didn't care about any of the characters. And I really, really wanted to--my partner was a cute little Froakie, after all! But at the end, he was the only one who really mattered to me

Spoiler
and even HE turned out to be a legendary.
[close]

Though the gameplay of all of the Mystery Dungeons is roughly the same, I think the others were more successful simply because of the sheer power of the writing--though it's all like a dorky after school action special, PSMD went too hard on "action" and forgot "special."

I mean, come ON. Has anyone felt so moved in any game as when you and your partner in Explorers have to fight your way back from the future after being betrayed? Things look absolutely hopeless, but you two do your best to stay positive because you've been through so much and accomplished so much already. And in Rescue Team, how about when you're being forced to leave town because no one believes you, and your partner comes with you? Your partner sacrifices their home and everything else they hold dear because they believe in you so much that they would literally climb into an active volcano for you. How about the partner in Gates to Infinity, keeping everyone positive and giving everyone encouragement not to give in to despair? It's things like these that made the first few games something more than a boring dungeon-crawler.

What's the equivalent in PSMD? The part where
Spoiler
you all get turned into stone? With the ragtag group you met literally a couple chapters ago? Why do I care about them? I definitely didn't, but the game was acting like I should. Then they disappear and lazily get saved at the end for no real reason? It definitely didn't work for me. Where's that raw element of friendship that made all the tedious dungeon-crawling so worthwhile? I ended up giving up trying to rescue my partner post game because I literally didn't care about him enough to do the necessary grinding to make it through the dungeons.
[close]
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Nitro Indigo

In particular, the part where
Spoiler
the partner says Mew erased Protagonist's memories makes no sense because it renders the earlier scene with Nuzleaf in the undersea ruins completely pointless.
[close]

Altissimo

Yeah it wasn't my favorite. Loved the music though lmao

mikey

it made plenty of sense.  Nuzleaf thought that the beheeyem had made Mudkip lose his memories
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

I also remembered that the main selling point of PSMD was that it has 720 Pokémon in it. Um...

BrainyLucario

I liked PMD: EoS ending the most. It threw a lot of plot twists in and  made it difficult to separate the fact from the fiction.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

braix

PSMD was great cuz I could be a Fennekin adventuring with Bespinben.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Ōkami~MD

Quote from: BrainyLucario on May 04, 2016, 10:27:43 AMI liked PMD: EoS ending the most. It threw a lot of plot twists in and  made it difficult to separate the fact from the fiction.

I have spent ages thinking of continuations of this story with my team bcause there are so many characters that don't actually 'disappear' like the lake trio and dialga and stuff so you don't feel so bad when writing a fanfic because you aren't ruining someone elses idea off the game
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow
*hairflip*
FABULOUS

hello? there should be GIF here can u help me find it

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SerebiiThe first details for Pokémon Sun & Moon have been revealed. These details come via the first footage of the game which showcases some new Pokémon including the starters and the legends. It will be released on November 18th 2016 in the US and Japan and November 23rd in Europe. The game takes place in the Alola Region and th three starters are the Grass/Flying Rowlet, the Fire-type Litten and the Water-type Popplio. The Japanese trailer also confirms that you can alter your skin pigment in the game, just like X & Y. Keep checking back as we get more details.
Edit @ 13:19: New details have come via the official site. Rowlet knows a new move called Leafage

WOO.

Starters

Rowlet.

Litten.

Popplio.
[close]
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber