Main Menu

The Will to Go On

Started by SlowPokemon, July 17, 2010, 07:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the ending?

It was a suitable finish.
Flawless.
What were you thinking? That was awful.
Not that great; it could have been better.
I still haven't read it.

SlowPokemon

This chapter may have some clumsy tone shifts as I wrote it over several different days. I rather like the way it turned out, though.

Chapter Fifteen
Lucian’s Big Mistake

â€œSo, where do we go next, Kare?” said Aaron, walking a little ahead of her.

Karen was frowning at a map of Johto.

â€œCianwood City seems like a good choice. There’s a Pokémon Gym there.”

â€œGreat!” said Aaron happily. “How you coming, Lucian?”

Lucian was walking behind everyone, sulking. He was not used to waking up as early as our trio did.

â€œMy feet are killing me,” he moaned. “It’s too hot out, and it’s still early in the day. It’ll get even hotter later.”

Will glanced at Aaron, his eyebrows raised.

Aaron looked angry for a second, but swallowed and said, “That’s nice. I’m sure it’ll get cooler later on.”

â€œI doubt it,” said Lucian sulkily.

Aaron swallowed again.

â€œOkay,” said Karen, “we need to cross the ocean to reach Cianwood. Any ideas?”

â€œWe could get Slowbro to carry us there,” said Will.

â€œWater?” whined Lucian. “I hate traveling over water. I get seasick.”

Aaron swallowed again.

â€œI’m sure you’ll be fine,” was all he said.

Will released his Slowbro into the water and they all climbed atop it, Lucian in a reluctant manner.

They rode on peacefully for some time, Lucian muttering all the while. Every once in a while they could make out words like “ridiculous” and “seasick” and “fools”.

â€œAnd who wants to ride on a Slowbro, anyway?” complained Lucian. “It’s uncomfortable and not fast at all.”

Aaron looked dangerously mad for a second, then swallowed again and said, “Well, at least you don’t have to walk and hurt your feet.”

â€œSmall comfort,” grumbled Lucian, and Aaron swallowed yet again and said, “But the sea breeze is so nice!”

Lucian sniffed and said, “It’s too cold. I’ll get hypothermia and die.”

Aaron just swallowed for the umpteenth time and remained silent.

Finally, they reached Cianwood City. The day was beautiful. They climbed off of Slowbro, who followed them out of the water. It looked happy and dull as usual. They found several Carvanha with their teeth digging into Slowbro’s underside. It hadn’t noticed.

Will smiled affectionately and called it back. The Carvanha fell to the ground, where they flopped about somewhat uselessly.

â€œAre we finally there?” griped Lucian. “That trip was a nightmare. I hope we have a different way of getting back to Olivine.”

Aaron swallowed againâ€"Will figured his throat must have been getting sore by that timeâ€"and simply said, “Yes, we’re there.”

â€œOh my God,” breathed Will, and everyone turned to look.

The legendary Pokémon Suicune stood before them, looking out over the ocean, and appearing elegant and superior. It actually shone with a bright light, and all three of them were mesmerized.

â€œIs that…” murmured Karen, but she found that she couldn’t complete her sentence.

â€œI think it is…” said Aaron, his eyes wide.

â€œSuicune…” said Will softly.

â€œFriends!” said a delighted voice behind them. They all broke free of their trances and saw Eusine running to them.

â€œEusine,” whispered Karen. “Look.”

Eusine turned to see Suicune staring right at him. The noble Pokémon nodded its head before dashing away across the water at top speed. It was gone within a few seconds.

â€œSuicune,” moaned Eusine with delight. “The Pokémon of pure water…the life-giver…the canine beast so wickedly fast…”

â€œâ€¦that no man in history has ever been able to catch it,” finished Karen with a faraway look in her eye. “Yes… I can see why you want so much to capture it, Eusine,” she said with a slightly dreamy tone.

â€œAh,” said Eusine, grinning. “You now see that I am not crazy, miss. I am very justified in chasing that wonderful beast.”

Karen shook herself and said, “Yes…well. So, what brings you here, Eusine?” she said, looking interested.

â€œWhat else, miss, but the aforementioned Pokémon of pure water?” said Eusine brightly. “I am getting better at this! I meet you three, and I see Suicune for the second time in my life!”

â€œYou’ve devoted your life to chasing that thing?” snorted Lucian. “What a waste! I’d hardly call it a life! That was the most boring, plain-looking Pokémon I’ve ever seen! My Ralts has more class!”

â€œShut up,” advised Will quietly.

Aaron swallowed.

â€œAh,” said Eusine, his grin fading. “Who is this friend of my friends?”

â€œThis is Lucian,” said Karen, glancing at Aaron; he didn’t open his mouth. Possibly he didn’t trust himself to speak.

â€œHello, Lucian,” said Eusine, taking his hand and shaking it. “What a pity it is that you don’t appreciate Suicune’s otherworldly beauty.”

â€œOtherworldly beauty?” chortled Lucian. “You must have a screw loose, kid!”

Eusine was definitely not smiling now; rather, he looked quite insulted.

â€œI’m sorry if I offend you, your rudeness,” he said icily. “Either way, I must be going now.” He glanced at the trio behind him. “I do not understand why you travel with this lowlife, but you all deserve better than himâ€"you especially, madam,” he said to Karen. He collected himself and walked away.

â€œAre you out of your freakin’ mind?” shrieked Karen, grabbing Lucian by the shoulders and shaking him violently. “Why the heck are you so evil?! I can’t believe I ever felt sorry for YOU! You don’t deserve my pity!”

â€œYou’re the biggest idiot I’ve ever met,” said Lucian calmly, rather enjoying her anger.

Aaron triedâ€"he really and truly triedâ€"to swallow his anger once more. But all of the day’s anger had piled up and up and up inside of him, and this last swallow was like the tenth piece of pizza that causes one to regurgitate the original nine. All of his rage and irritation came pouring out of his mouth.

Karen and Will took a step back as Aaron let loose with a hugeâ€"and loudâ€"string of curses and screams. They could catch a few words here and there:

â€œâ€"BIGGEST LOWLIFE I’VE EVER MET IN MY LIFE, YOU DON’T DESERVE TO BE HERE, YOU SHOULDN’T EVEN BE CONSIDERED A HUMAN BEINGâ€"”

The other two glanced at each other, eyebrows raised.

â€œâ€"WILL’S SLOWBRO HAS MORE SENSE THAN YOU, AND I BET IT TAKES HITS BETTER THAN YOU AS WELL, DOESN’T IT, OH I WOULD LOVE TO FIND OUT, AND YOU ARE PUSHING ME OVER THE EDGE, CALLING KARE AN IDIOT WAS A HUGE MISTAKEâ€"”

Lucian was cowering up against a wall; although he was a few inches taller than Aaron, he was shaking in his shoes.

â€œâ€"AND I’VE BEEN PUTTING UP WITH YOU ALL DAY, BUT I CAN’T PUT UP WITH THIS FOR ANY LONGER! THIS IS IT, YOU ARE OUT, WE’RE NOT GOING TO TAKE YOU JUST BECAUSE YOUR LITTLE FRIENDS WALKED OUT ON YOU! YOU’RE ON YOUR FREAKIN’ OWN!”

Lucian’s mouth fell open. He stammered a bit, and backed away towards the water. Karen and Will joined him in slowly advancing on him.

â€œâ€¦you can’t do this, guys, you really can’t…I was just joking, heh heh… Seriously! Joke’s over!” He looked over his shoulder nervously. “Guys, one more step and I’m in the water…” He gulped and entered the water. “What can I possibly do now?” he whimpered.

â€œSWIM!” shouted the three together, and they watched him swim frantically until he was off the horizon.

They stood there for some time, until Will finally said, “You had better get to the Gym, Aaron.”

â€œHuh?” said Aaron, looking confused. “Oh. Right.” He looked around and located the Pokémon Gym. “Do you guys want to come?” he asked.

â€œI’ll come,” said Karen.

â€œI will too,” offered Will.

â€œOh, but I thought you said you wanted to get some fresh air,” said Karen a little pointedly.

â€œRight,” said Will, cottoning on. “Umm, I’ll just stay out here, then,” he said a little helplessly.

â€œGreat!” said Karen happily, and she took Aaron’s arm and walked with him to the Pokémon Gym. Will had a strange feeling that wasn’t the only place they were going, but he brought his mind to other things as he sat down on a smooth rock and stared out at the sea. Any little kids that had been playing out on the beach were inside now as the sun was setting. The only other people out was a couple, holding hands and walking slowly.

â€œSo…” said the girl with a very southern accent. With a bit of a jolt, Will realized it was Margaret, the Gym Leader of Goldenrod.

â€œSo…” said the boy with her. Upon cautious inspection, Will noted that he looked very strange. He had a few pimples dotting his unassuming face. Underneath a small mop of hair, bright blue eyes gazed into the clear blue eyes of Margaret. He looked decidedly strange, but not unlikable.

â€œListen,” said Margaret to the Strange Boy. “This time we’ve spent together…it’s been great. But…” she continued, then hesitated. “…I can’t do this anymore.”

â€œCan’t do what anymore?” said the Strange Boy, his smile faltering.

â€œThis,” said Margaret gently. “Look, I like you. I really do. But I can’t go out with you any longer.”

â€œYou’re…breaking up with me?” said the Strange Boy, looking shocked.

â€œYes,” said Margaret. “Look, don’t make this difficult. You’re just not the guy for me. I really hope you understand,” she said anxiously.

â€œI understand,” said the Strange Boy dejectedly.

â€œI’m sorry,” said Margaret softly. “But it’s over.” She leaned forward and kissed him lightly on the cheek. For a moment, she looked as though she might say something, but in the end she simply walked away, leaving him.

The Strange Boy stood there for a moment, then finally sat down on a rock near Will, and gazed over the crashing waters, appearing to be in deep thought.

Will wondered whether he ought to say something, but decided that it was best not to. They sat in silence for a while, and the Strange Boy finally seemed to notice him. He broke into a wide grin and said, “Will!”

â€œUmm…” said Will, looking startled, “do I know you?”

â€œI suppose not,” said the Strange Boy. “I knew that the others didn’t… but I thought perhaps you…Well, never mind.”

â€œSo, horrible luck, huh?” said Will.

â€œWhat, you mean Margaret?” sighed the Strange Boy. “I wouldn’t call that luck. It was inevitable… Pretty sad, really.”

â€œOkay, then,” said Will, more than a little confused. “So, how did that happen in the first place?”

â€œHow did what happen?” asked the Strange Boy.

â€œYou know… you and Margaret,” said Will awkwardly.

â€œWell, that’s a story far too long to tell,” said the Strange Boy with a sad sort of smile. “Although I suppose if anyone can tell a long story, I can. Margaret is an old friend of mine. We were never truly meant to be.”

â€œI see,” said Will, but he really didn’t.

â€œI must be off, my friend,” said the Strange Boy, getting up abruptly. “I have many places to be, and Karen and Aaron should be getting back to you soon. Good luck,” he said, his piercing blue eyes meeting Will’s as they shook hands. He began to go forth, but stopped suddenly and turned around. “Oh, and truthfully, Lucian isn’t all bad,” said the Strange Boy. “But you already knew that, didn’t you?”

He walked off, and although Will knew they had never met prior to that, he couldn’t deny that there was something familiar about the boy.

He had little time to ponder all of this, however, as the Strange Boy was correct in thinking that Aaron and Karen were coming. They didn’t say much as they went to book rooms at the Cianwood Pokémon Center, but it wasn’t a negative silence; rather, everyone seemed to have much on their mind.

Will wondered what the boy had meant about Lucian, but very soon fell asleep.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Winter

DrP

I actually like this chapter... but for it's content, rather the story

You have departed from the threesome, with Karen and Aaron bickering constantly (the best part, I might add)... but you added yuppie/snobbish Lucian and the recurring crazy Eusine that I find quite funny!

And I keep on liking what you're doing with Margaret... nice!

Hopefully when I finally open word again, I will finish writing, and you shall see what happens with a certain someone in the chapter after that (oh, and the Anastasia I added in the last chapter is my cousin!)

SlowPokemon

Quote from: drpamplemousse on September 26, 2010, 07:30:51 PMI actually like this chapter... but for it's content, rather the story

You have departed from the threesome, with Karen and Aaron bickering constantly (the best part, I might add)... but you added yuppie/snobbish Lucian and the recurring crazy Eusine that I find quite funny!

And I keep on liking what you're doing with Margaret... nice!

Hopefully when I finally open word again, I will finish writing, and you shall see what happens with a certain someone in the chapter after that (oh, and the Anastasia I added in the last chapter is my cousin!)

You've probably figured out who the Strange Boy is by now (if you know, don't post it here!).

Quote from: winterkid09 on September 26, 2010, 07:22:13 PMslow, that was beautiful!
LOL
Thank you very much.

DrP

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 26, 2010, 07:48:46 PMYou've probably figured out who the Strange Boy is by now (if you know, don't post it here!).
LOL
Thank you very much.

Oh, I won't... the secret boy's identity is safe with me!

SlowPokemon

You may get a bicker chapter soon, since you so nicely told me that was entertaining.

Jub3r7

What is the color of the strange boy's eyes?
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

DrP

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 27, 2010, 04:12:44 AMYou may get a bicker chapter soon, since you so nicely told me that was entertaining.

its my favorite part!!!

I actually might write something today before my Wind Orchestra rehersal!

Jub3r7

I just wrote an extremely short story; you don't mind reading it, do you?
http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=2354.msg72474#msg72474

BTW, your story is looking really good. Keep it up!!!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Jub3r7 on September 27, 2010, 12:09:39 PMWhat is the color of the strange boy's eyes?
A very deep blue that is quite different from Margaret's clear blue eyes.

Quote from: Jub3r7 on September 27, 2010, 12:52:15 PMI just wrote an extremely short story; you don't mind reading it, do you?
http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=2354.msg72474#msg72474

BTW, your story is looking really good. Keep it up!!!
Done! :D

DrP

There is an 90% chance of my posting Chapter 13 tonight!!!

SlowPokemon

SURPRISE!

This chapter is very meh, so don't get your hopes up. This story is becoming something of a disappointment, most likely, but that's okay. I just want to finish it--then I can revise all I want.

I had meant this to be a bicker chapter, but I will do one two chapters from now instead... I'm doing something different with the next chapter.

Chapter Sixteen
The Will to The Show Must Go On

A few days later, our three favorite heroesâ€"no, I’m not talking about Harry, Ron, and Hermioneâ€"were walking out of Ecruteak. They arrived on Route 42 with high spirits. Upon walking a bit, they saw a large traveling circus. Rides were set up, from the small kiddy rides to the monstrous, rickety roller coasters. The ticket booth had a small line, but there were hundreds of people inside.

â€œCome on, Aaron, let’s go!” said Karen excitedly.

â€œAre you sure?” said Aaron skeptically.

â€œAbsolutely!” she said. “It’ll be fun!”

â€œFor who?” muttered Aaron, but he followed her to the ticket booth. “Three tickets,” he told the portly man behind the counter. He was huge; it was a wonder he could fit into the tiny booth.

â€œSeventy-five dollars,” said the man promptly.

Aaron’s jaw dropped.

â€œSeventy-five…?” he sputtered. “That’s highway robbery! There are only three of us!”

â€œRight!” said the large man. “Thank you for reminding me.” He typed something into his computer and printed the check again. “Eighty-five dollars,” he said smoothly.

Aaron turned purple and said, “What’s that for?”

The huge man pointed to a sign near the counter. It read, “Two is plentyâ€"three’s a crowd! Additional $10.00 fee will be charged for every person after the first two.”

Aaron looked at the man in disbelief.

â€œAre you kidding me?” he said incredulously.

â€œYou are the kid here,” said the man seriously. “So pay me now, or you will be forced to leave the premises.”

Aaron grumbled something under his breathâ€"Will could hear a few not-so-nice wordsâ€"but he paid the man eighty-five dollars.

â€œDon’t worry,” said Karen briskly. “Like I said, it’ll be fun!”

â€œFor eighty-five freakin’ dollars, it better be,” muttered Aaron.

And so they entered the fair. Karen pointed out something every few seconds: “Ooh, Aaron, look! â€"it’s a snack bar!” “Look, guys! â€"a roller coaster!” “Look at that! â€"guess your weight or win a prize!” “Look!” “Look!” “Look!”

Finally Aaron just said, “We can see it, Kare. We’re right here. You don’t need to point out every little thing.”

â€œI know!” said Karen. “I’m just happy to be here!”

â€œWhat are you doing that’s so fun?” demanded Aaron.

â€œWalking and seeing the sights!” she said defensively.

Aaron looked at Will in a “she’s completely nuts” sort of way and said to Karen, “I paid eight-five dollars so you could walk around? You can do that for free anywhere else!”

â€œIt’s not the same, and you know it,” said Karen, no longer smiling.

â€œDo I?” said Aaron in a stressed sort of way.

â€œWell, why don’t we do something, then?” said Karen angrily. “If you want to so bad?”

â€œBecause you’re having too much fun enjoying the sights!” shouted Aaron.

â€œFriends, let’s not argue!” said a voice quite near them. Will, Karen, and Aaron turned to see Eusine, grinning broadly.

â€œHi, Eusine!” said Karen, forgetting her argument and making a smile to match his.

â€œHello, miss!” said Eusine, bowing deeply. “And hello to my other friends as well! Are you having fun at this place?”

â€œYou’re looking for trouble,” said Aaron warningly, and Karen flashed daggers at him.

â€œWe absolutely are,” she said. “Are you here with anyone?” she asked.

â€œNo,” said Eusine. “Surely you jestâ€"you know that I have no companions on my solitary journey! That’s what makes it solitary!”

â€œHow is your journey a card game?” said Aaron, very confused.
   Karen rolled her eyes.

â€œSo…” said Will, breaking the silence. “…Is there anything you wanted to do?”

â€œThat looks cool!” said Karen enthusiastically. She was pointing at a small tent with a sign in front that read “Want to know your future? Ready to be amazed? Come to the PSYCHIC tent, free of charge!”

â€œWhy do you need a psychic?” said Aaron curiously. “We already have Will.”

â€œThose visions have been stopping lately,” said Will suddenly. “I haven’t had one since the night my Hypno went berserk.”

â€œLet’s just go in!” said Karen, dragging her friends inside. Eusine waved them off and ran somewhere else.

In the tent, there was a boy sitting at a small table. He was absentmindedly writing in a notebook. His blue eyes lit up the darkness.

â€œYou!” gasped all three of them.

â€œMe,” said the Strange Boy. He smiled wryly. “So, come to have your fortunes told, have you?”

They were all gaping at him.

â€œI guess so,” laughed the Strange Boy. “Well, if you want to do that, I would like to see you all separately. Will first, please.”

Karen and Aaron looked at him strangely as they walked out of the room.

â€œWill,” said the Strange Boy, smiling. “Hmm. How ironic is it that you of all people are at a psychic’s tent.” He laughed. “That’s perfectly fine, though.” He took out a deck of tarot cards and spread them facedown on the table. “Pick three, please,” he said, still smiling.

Will picked three of the cards and set them aside.

â€œExcellent choices,” said the Strange Boy. He flipped over the first one. “Hmm…” he said, frowning. “Strength. You have a great destiny… But we both knew that.” He flipped over the second one. “Chariotâ€"long journey. Again, obvious.” He flipped over the final one. “Justice. You shall get your dues in the end.”

The Strange Boy sat awhile in thought, then finally announced, “Bring me Karen.”

Karen entered the tent after Will had departed. She looked a little nervous.

â€œSit down,” said the Strange Boy. She obliged. “Pick three cards, Karen,” he said.

She took three cards and handed them to the Strange Boy.

He flipped over the first one. “The Lovers… there is someone very dear to your heart,” said the Strange Boy, smiling wryly again. “Judgment… Oh yes, you will have to choose… And finally, World. The sky is the limit with you, is it not?” said the Strange Boy, blue eyes shining brightly. “Bring me Aaron, please.”

Will left to find that it was dusk outside, really almost completely dark. He delivered the message; Aaron walked through the door a moment later and sat down.

â€œPick three,” suggested the Strange Boy, and Aaron did as he was told. The Strange Boy flipped them over. “The Fool… of course, you can’t help being who you sometimes are… The Star… there is one big bright light in your life, I must say… and finally, Death.” Aaron looked up at the Boy, alarmed, but the Strange Boy merely said, “Comes to us all in time. Could mean…nothing at all… Aaron, could you bring me Will again?” Startled, Aaron left and sent Will back inside.

â€œI apologize, Will…” said the Strange Boy apologetically, “but I can’t permit you to remember this meeting… You’ll understand…”

â€œWait, what?” said Will.

The Strange Boy reached for a PokéBall and released a Hypno. It stood face to face with Will, waving its pendulum sideways. Will found himself unconscious within a few seconds. He was dimly aware of someone murmuring instructions in his ear, but soon those words were locked in his subconscious. The Strange Boy sat him in a chair behind the tent, then entered again and called outside, “Aaron, here, please!”

Aaron entered to find the Strange Boy looking a bit pitifully at him. “Sit, Aaron.”

â€œWhat are you doing now?” said Aaron curiously.

â€œIt’ll all be over soon,” was the Strange Boy’s reply. Aaron suddenly saw a shining, silvery thing, in motion back and forth, and suddenly everything grew fuzzy…

â€œKaren!” called the Strange Boy, and she timidly walked back inside.

â€œWhere are the other two?” she asked hesitantly.

â€œSit, please,” said the Strange Boy firmly. She sat down.

â€œWhat are you doing?” she asked, somewhat frightened but not about to show it.

â€œNothing,” said the Strange Boy soothingly. “Just relax, please…”

â€œRelax?” said Karen suspiciously. “Whyâ€"?” Suddenly, Hypno loomed over her and she cowered into her chair. “Help,” she whimpered.

â€œJust look at Hypno…” said the Strange Boy. He hated to do this, but it was absolutely necessary. “I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t have to, Karen,” he said gently.

â€œNo…” she whispered.

The Hypno locked eyes with her and swung its pendulum seductively in front of her eyes… she was slipping into unconsciousness… she had to fight it… she struggled to keep her eyes open…

The next thing she knew, she was being carried down a long route by Aaron. It was early in the morning, she could see glimmers of a sunrise barely peeking over the horizon.

â€œWhat happened…” she croaked groggily.

â€œWe don’t know,” admitted Aaron. “Will and I woke up in chairs behind the Psychic tent… funny, though, I don’t think we ended up going in there…”

â€œOkay…” she mumbled. She slipped back into sleep once more as they approached Mahogany Town.

Comment and rate, please!

DrP

meh... i wish i had time to write. In my Monday schedule, from 9-9, I have about four hours in between class times collectively... it sucks! im just glad finals are over

Jub3r7

Your readers are waiting, Slow.

Winter

Meh, If it takes a bit longer than normal for Slow to make a work of art, so be it. Don't forget his name either :) note "work of art"