News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

The Introduction Thread

Started by Concerto No.20 in D minor, March 18, 2008, 08:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

It's more about the principle of the thing. like, if people are being openly homophobic on the forum and they're allowed to be, this is going to both a) discourage potential members who don't like homophobia from joining and b) make existing non-heterosexual members feel like this is not a safe space for them, and really we shouldn't be making NSM a non-safe space for people who need it. Like jub3r7, who came out to us and then the conversation devolved into people kind of more or less saying homosexuality was a sin. They weren't attacking jub3r personally, but that kind of conversation wouldn't make ANYone feel good about coming out. I just wish we could hold people accountable for making discriminatory statements like that. It's not fair to the community otherwise, I feel.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 05:50:00 PMWell, no, it doesn't make sense. However, I think this is better understood as a metaphorical statement. Perhaps it is meant to suggest that those who are constantly trying to find offense in other people's actions are, in actuality, insecure about their own identity. If you know you who are, and you are confident about that, you shouldn't feel threatened everytime sometime accidentally steps on your toes. And if they were trying to step on your toes, then just ignore them. Your pride isn't worth it.
^^^That's essentially what I was trying to say; I'm just not the best at properly expressing myself sometimes. But, now, I have cooled down, and can go back to being my own content self.
I don't mean to make NSM a hostile environment. If I do, it's completely accidental, and I am sorry in the highest sincerity because of it. NSM should be a place where arrangers/gamers worldwide can come together and talk with people on here without all of these little kerfuffles (which I am partly ashamed for feeling as though I contributed to one). Perhaps that's just me being my idealistic self, though.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

call me a homophobe to my face, I'll punch you

maybe not, but I wish people would stop saying it
unmotivated

Dude

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on April 10, 2016, 05:56:30 PM^^^That's essentially what I was trying to say; I'm just not the best at properly expressing myself sometimes. But, now, I have cooled down, and can go back to being my own content self.
I don't mean to make NSM a hostile environment. If I do, it's completely accidental, and I am sorry in the highest sincerity because of it. NSM should be a place where arrangers/gamers worldwide can come together and talk with people on here without all of these little kerfuffles (which I am partly ashamed for feeling as though I contributed to one). Perhaps that's just me being my idealistic self, though.
Honestly, I think your original comment was nothing major but Toby's was awful.

FireArrow

Quote from: Bespinben on April 10, 2016, 05:50:00 PMWell, no, it doesn't make sense. However, I think this is better understood as a metaphorical statement. Perhaps it is meant to suggest that those who are constantly trying to find offense in other people's actions are, in actuality, insecure about their own identity. If you know you who are, and you are confident about that, you shouldn't feel threatened everytime sometime accidentally steps on your toes. And if they were trying to step on your toes, then just ignore them. Your pride isn't worth it.

I could say the same thing about people who feel the need to assert "I am 100% straight, not a single particle of gayness no sir!" instead of just saying "I'm straight." Hell your post can apply to anyone trying to defend their religion as I could just as easily blow up the forum by saying "Christians are homophobes" rather than "Gays are icky." I don't see why minority groups should be expected to let everything slide whilst majorities can heroically defend themselves from "war on Christianity" and "reverse racism/homophobia."

Quote from: quote author=E. Gadd Industries link=topic=218.msg335120#msg335120 date=1460333290But come on people, I didn't mean to start all of this! All I did was say that I was 100% straight; I have a girlfriend to prove it!]But come on people, I didn't mean to start all of this! All I did was say that I was 100% straight; I have a girlfriend to prove it!

How is having a girlfriend (especially at your age?) proof of anything? Do bi people not exist?

QuoteWhatever your goal is in starting all of this mess (you know who you are), I'm honestly wondering if you are the homophobes and not me & Tobbeh. I don't mean to start more stuff (especially here of all places), but there's no easier way to say what I just said than how I just said it. If you hate me for that now, good for you. The whole reason I'm on this site is to have fun arranging sheet music, talking about video games, and possibly making a friend or two in the process, and not to be a crowd pleaser. Sure, what Tobbeh said could be interpreted as a little touchy, but come on, guys, cut him some slack; you don't see him blowing up on you guys for saying something that is offensive to him, do you? And you don't see him viewing every little thing you say as offensive? Also, another thing I want to mention:]Whatever your goal is in starting all of this mess (you know who you are), I'm honestly wondering if you are the homophobes and not me & Tobbeh. I don't mean to start more stuff (especially here of all places), but there's no easier way to say what I just said than how I just said it. If you hate me for that now, good for you. The whole reason I'm on this site is to have fun arranging sheet music, talking about video games, and possibly making a friend or two in the process, and not to be a crowd pleaser. Sure, what Tobbeh said could be interpreted as a little touchy, but come on, guys, cut him some slack; you don't see him blowing up on you guys for saying something that is offensive to him, do you? And you don't see him viewing every little thing you say as offensive? Also, another thing I want to mention:]Whatever your goal is in starting all of this mess (you know who you are), I'm honestly wondering if you are the homophobes and not me & Tobbeh. I don't mean to start more stuff (especially here of all places), but there's no easier way to say what I just said than how I just said it. If you hate me for that now, good for you. The whole reason I'm on this site is to have fun arranging sheet music, talking about video games, and possibly making a friend or two in the process, and not to be a crowd pleaser. Sure, what Tobbeh said could be interpreted as a little touchy, but come on, guys, cut him some slack; you don't see him blowing up on you guys for saying something that is offensive to him, do you? And you don't see him viewing every little thing you say as offensive? Also, another thing I want to mention:]Whatever your goal is in starting all of this mess (you know who you are), I'm honestly wondering if you are the homophobes and not me & Tobbeh. I don't mean to start more stuff (especially here of all places), but there's no easier way to say what I just said than how I just said it. If you hate me for that now, good for you. The whole reason I'm on this site is to have fun arranging sheet music, talking about video games, and possibly making a friend or two in the process, and not to be a crowd pleaser. Sure, what Tobbeh said could be interpreted as a little touchy, but come on, guys, cut him some slack; you don't see him blowing up on you guys for saying something that is offensive to him, do you? And you don't see him viewing every little thing you say as offensive? Also, another thing I want to mention:

Who are you to tell people that they're being overly sensitive? Tobbeh literally said he thought his statement would be OK because he though people would agree with him.

What if he said:
Race: White (better than being black.)
Race: Black (better than being white.)
Religion: None (cause it's stupid.)
Religion: Christian (better than being muslim.)

Like, when is it ever OK to do that? Why should gay people be held to less of a standard when it comes to this?

QuoteBut all that aside (I know this is derailing the topic to a degree, but I figured it ties to what I'm about to say), concerning the homosexual discussion held, my best friend is gay. Now, does that mean that I approve of his lifestyle? No. But I don't hound on him for it! In God's eyes, sin is sin is sin, and so what I don't understand is why so many people are SOOOO against LGBTs when they are committing sins just the same (well, maybe not the SAME, but you understand what I mean). God loves the sinner, but hates the sin, and if you're (this term is used generally) a true Christian, you want to be like God, which includes loving the sinner and hating the sin.

Yeah I think worshiping Jesus is a crime comparable to murder, the only viable option to be not to believe in anything. That being said, everyone has issues, and yours just happens to that you're christian, so I'll love you anyways. Also, I'm gonna parade my generosity of forgiving your horrible deed of being religious as a virtuous act of acceptance, because I'm such a good person.

See how that's not acceptance or kindness in any way? I'm just cloaking my bigotry with pretty words.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 10, 2016, 05:58:10 PMcall me a homophobe to my face, I'll punch you

maybe not, but I wish people would stop saying it

Stop being so sensitive, just suck it up.

oh wait

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

it'd be more believable if you weren't being so sarcastic
unmotivated

Waddle Bro

It's not really about feeling of threat or hate, it's more about showing someone the right path. If it's not possible to reason why any other sexual orientation outside heterosexuality is considered a "weird sex orientation", you can't be expected to show it understanding or acceptance, especially if they aren't willing to show it themselves. Reacting to someone as if they are a hopeless case is a cynical and semi-nihilistic view though, since that doesn't help anyone, while there's clearly potential in them to understand reason!!
It's not about "pushing your own values on others", it's about finding the common and stable foundation for everyone's values(before they can reasonably differ), since you're not the only person on this forum(forum can be substituted with the society). A social moral system has to admit facts and the intellectual worldview as its foundation, it has to be based on reason and rationality, it has to be universal(as in all identical cases need to be treated equally and it can't be situational) and moral has to be supreme(moral views are more important than any other views). These minimal requirements for a social moral system prevent moderate moral relativism from being associated with moral that supports discriminates minorities and hierarchical gender roles, while restricting liberty of speech and rights of the people.

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 10, 2016, 06:19:46 PMit'd be more believable if you weren't being so sarcastic

look whos talking
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

cashwarrior1

mikey

no really though if you were atheist and thought Christianity was very stupid it'd actually be believable, but for some reason the rest of your post makes it hard to swallow
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 10, 2016, 06:43:34 PMno really though if you were atheist and thought Christianity was very stupid it'd actually be believable, but for some reason the rest of your post makes it hard to swallow
It's probably just a personal problem at this point, then.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Bespinben

Quote from: Altissimo on April 10, 2016, 05:53:14 PMb) make existing non-heterosexual members feel like this is not a safe space for them, and really we shouldn't be making NSM a non-safe space for people who need it. Like jub3r7, who came out to us and then the conversation devolved into people kind of more or less saying homosexuality was a sin. They weren't attacking jub3r personally, but that kind of conversation wouldn't make ANYone feel good about coming out

Well, this is the introduction thread after all. Maybe it's high time you all got to know me better. I'll show NSM is a safe place for friendship and acceptance.

I'm asexual. Never liked anyone or anything, at least, not in THAT way. I can't even begin to count how many times in my life I've been asked "So, gone on any dates yet?", "Oh, aren't you married yet?", "Hey Ben, whaddya think of so-and-so? Eh, eh?"

...and you know what? None of those questions bother me. I've gotten it from friends, family, church sermons, co-workers... the lot. I've never once used the word "asexual" in my life until this post because IT DOESN'T MATTER if they know, or don't know. They're still good people. I'm me, and nothing is going to change that.

I don't need other people to validate who I am. I don't need the Social Justice Police to educate the masses about me, and NONE of us --straight, gay, bi, pan, trans, ace-- need them either.

We don't need FA's textwalls. We don't need Waddle's diplomacy. We don't need Ruto's call-outs. We don't need Tobbeh/Egadd/Dude preaching their orientations. We really don't even need my post here. All we need is friendship. Play some video games, make some music, share some funny stories with eachother... just live life and enjoy it.

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Latios212

Thank you Ben.

That is all.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

ben, it's not about validation, it's about people being insulting and getting away with it, i think we're on two different pages here and you don't seem to be understanding the issue and why people are upset

Bespinben

The point is, I have had MANY reasons to be upset in my life. I chose not to be upset. I chose not to be insulted. It's pointless.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday