News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Criticism

Started by SlowPokemon, May 24, 2010, 12:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

I love bulbapedia! I use bulbapedia for reference, and serebii for news.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DrP

both websites are amazing!!!

if you look in my signature, you can find my bulbapedia page!

SlowPokemon

Saw that. Thought it looked cool, so I made my own! SlowPokemon was not taken as a user name, haha. How do I make a user page?

DrP

when you log in, you click your username (it's in red). you click it and then click start this page

SlowPokemon

Umm... click Start SlowPokemon article?

DrP

DrP

also, when you create your page, don't submit your edits more than three times a day... bulbapedia rules that I learned the hard way

pumpy_heart

The third generation was absolute garbage.
The only feature really worth discussing is the Battle Frontier, which was merely an upgrade from the Battle tower of Crystal.
The Pokemon designs were horrible. The storyline was pretty pathetic. The locations were gimmicks. The graphics... good God, what is that thing I have to walk around with? Is that a person?
I started with Yellow, back in the day. I know what a Pokemon game should feel like. I'm a full supporter of HeartGold/SoulSilver because they feel like how a Pokemon game should be done.
From the moment I picked up my copy of Ruby to the time I put it down (pretty quick, might I add), it never felt like Pokemon.

DrP

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 05, 2010, 11:11:30 PMThe third generation was absolute garbage.
The only feature really worth discussing is the Battle Frontier, which was merely an upgrade from the Battle tower of Crystal.
The Pokemon designs were horrible. The storyline was pretty pathetic. The locations were gimmicks. The graphics... good God, what is that thing I have to walk around with? Is that a person?
I started with Yellow, back in the day. I know what a Pokemon game should feel like. I'm a full supporter of HeartGold/SoulSilver because they feel like how a Pokemon game should be done.
From the moment I picked up my copy of Ruby to the time I put it down (pretty quick, might I add), it never felt like Pokemon.

i started with blue! but i'd give emerald one step above (a small one) your descriptions. I do have to say that the graphics were better quality than previous games, but they were still pretty atrocious. HeartGold/SoulSilver are my favorite Pokémon games to date, though I do prefer the battle frontier from emerald to that of Platinum and HG/SS. Heck, most of the Gen III Pokémon were lame too!

SlowPokemon

I disagree. Completely. Ruby is my favorite Pokemon game and always will be. I love all the other ones too except Sinnoh.

I'm sorry. Nothing anyone says will sway me. Although I played Blue, Red, and Silver, Ruby was my first Pokemon game and no one can take that away from me.  :P

DrP

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 06, 2010, 06:49:30 AMI disagree. Completely. Ruby is my favorite Pokemon game and always will be. I love all the other ones too except Sinnoh.

I'm sorry. Nothing anyone says will sway me. Although I played Blue, Red, and Silver, Ruby was my first Pokemon game and no one can take that away from me.  :P

Everybody has what they like, and what they started out with. I played Ruby and Sapphire cause there was nothing really else to do (so it kind of stuck on me).

I've never been an advocate of new pokémon (the first 252 were enough for me)... but that adds to the new game features coming out with each generation. I did like the graphics update for the gameboy advance better, though it still wasn't my favorite (firered and leafgreen have the best for Gen III). I did like the new addons to the generation and Hoenn (and the storyline) but just in general the game didn't "click" with me as it did you! i'll still play it on occasion, but my heart belongs to heartgold and the originals (haha)

SlowPokemon

Oh, I know, it's not like I'm mad, I can totally respect that

It's just that for me, the first 386 Pokemon were the originals. See what I mean? And then I played Silver and got to know the ORIGINAL originals, and I loved that game too. It's just that I don't remember it as much as my game's battery ran dry (same old story, i know). I know that I went through the game with only Meganium and actually beat Red... It was level 93 when my brother accidentally deleted it. I also had a level 40-something Hypno. I made the most of the cloning glitch and got a lot of master balls lol

I only wanted to train male Pokemon, so I remember looking for literally hours for a male Jynx, only to find out they were only female later.

Me and my friends played Silver together. I remember because one of my friends had Gold, I believe...

My brother borrowed a neighbor's Gold and played it alongside my Silver with me. Then he made the mistake of, when we were moving, asking to keep it. They wouldn't have remembered it at all if he hadn't said anything.

Oh, on an unrelated subject, me and said brother dug around our old stuff and found our ORIGINAL Game Boy Advances, not the SPs we still play. He lost his Sapphire (all three of them lol) a long time ago, so is planning to buy a used one. I already have a ruby. We're going to play them together using our old GBAs hahaha

/rant, I guess.

pumpy_heart

Your wrong view of nostalgia hinders your viewpoint of the rest. Your nostalgic value started late while ours started with the true originals.
If you're going to argue nostalgia for a later gen, just know that it's not the first true nostalgic value, hindering your argument.
It's like saying Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game/series ever created. Nostalgic value would say that the original Metroid and Super Metroid are better, but if ones nostalgia starts at the Prime level, he/she really can't argue nostalgia.

DrP

not a rant! haha. i cant find one of my SPs (with Ruby inside it). I still have my Gameboy Advance somewhere as well as the Pocket (the Original was just to... old at the time). Now, I just use my micro! woo! Silver and Gold were a big deal with me and my friends. That's when Pokémon REALLY became famous where I lived. I got silver first, then gold, and lastly Crystal. I remember the colors and the changing of time was amazing (not to mention, you could play with the colors of R/B when you played in a GB color or later... always inversing them was popular Like Ctrl+Alt+Cmd+8 on a mac). I remember in yellow, it would be colorless until you reached a city, then on a GB color, the towns and cities would display the color of their city on the rooftops and such... back then, I thought that was amazing.

I find it harder to play the older ones because I love the improvements, especially the organization efforts in the pack and the sprites for the ACTUAL Pokémon!

I think thats all!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: pumpy_heart on July 06, 2010, 01:33:23 PMYour WRONG VIEW OF NOSTALGIA hinders your viewpoint of the rest. Your nostalgic value started late while ours started with the true originals.
If you're going to argue nostalgia for a later gen, just know that it's not the first true nostalgic value, hindering your argument.
It's like saying Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game/series ever created. Nostalgic value would say that the original Metroid and Super Metroid are better, but if ones nostalgia starts at the Prime level, he/she really can't argue nostalgia.

I disagree. I think everyone has a different kind of nostalgia.

Dictionary definition of nostalgia:
1. a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time.
2. something that elicits or displays nostalgia.

There is no WRONG view of nostalgia. Just because I was born a bit after you all doesn't mean that Pokemon isn't nostalgic for me. A later gen CAN be nostalgic. It doesn't have to be the original to be nostalgic.

Which makes you wrong here in my field of vision. I'm so not trying to make you mad though. :P