News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Mr. Linden's Library

Started by universe-X, May 07, 2010, 04:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

universe-X

Mr. Linden's Library
          It had been a regular day for the pair of Kyle and Stacy. They were just taking a walk around their neighborhood, talking about anything that came to mind. While they were good friends, the two had many differences and disagreements. Matters such as "Who should be president?" or "Who needed this more?" would usually threaten to end their friendship - but they knew better than that. However, today was going to be one of those days.
          "So, what books have you read lately?" Stacy asked.
          "None," Kyle replied, "You know I hate reading." And he meant it. Kyle hated reading with a passion, while Stacy could finish a book while eating.
          "Well I just finished reading Nothing But the Truth, by Avi. It could've been better."
          "Exciting." Kyle said sarcastically, "Hey, you told me how you've visited all 63 libraries in the state, right?"
          "That's right." Stacy replied, grinning.
          "Well, I did some research for you and it looks like you're missing number 64." Kyle smirked.
          "You're lying! I can see it on your face!" Stacy retorted
          "I'm not lying, there is another one." It's right up our street, the Charles Linden Library."
          "Charles Linden? I've never heardof him. He must've been pretty special to get a library named after him. Can you come with me?"
          "Of course, but it closed down over 30 years ago, when the guy died."
          "Doesn't mean we can't go, c'mon!"
          Once there, Stacy was already fascinated by the look of the palace. It held over 50,000 books and the walls had kept statues of roses on the walls, covered in dust and webs. There were some bookcases knocked over, creating a maze-like venture for the two. Then, there came a desk. It was Charles Linden's front desk and all of his last records.
          "Interesting." Stacy said, looking through the names. Suddenly, she saw a stand that held "Mr. Linden's Last Work." It was a book named the Inferno Nexus. It had a picture of a rose on the cover, surrounded by black emptiness. he plaque under it indicated it was his last story he had written. . . and that Stacy and Kyle weren't the last visitors of the illusional building.
          "I don't think he would mind if I took a peek," Stacy remarked.
          "I dunno, Stacy. Can this place really be trusted? I mean, that book already looks bad! Look at the title!" Inferno Nexus loosely translated to "Hell Tightening."
          "But that's what makes it all the more interesting!" Stacy was now immensely captivated by the dust-covered back.
          "Ok, whatever. Let's just get home quick! This place isn't getting anymore pretty."
          When they went home, Stacy had locked herself in her room to read. This will only take a few minutes, she thought to herself. However, as she kept reading she felt compelled to go to a certain page in the book. She decided to flip through the book more rapidly and found a rose-shaped bookmark on page 216. Stacy now wanted to study the exquisite design it.
           While doing so, vines had started to appear from between the pages. They were starting to wrap around Stacy and tied her to her seat. The book was now floating in mid-air. In thick black letters, across the two pages, it read "The curse of Charles Linden is unleashed." Stacy read in horror as she continued to struggle from the now thorn-developing vine trap. She realized what Kyle had done to her: why he wouldn't he go near the book, why he knew more about the library already, why he had brought up the title. Was this all a trap? Or was Kyle trying to protect Stacy? After all, he had warned herabout the book. Now it was too late.

Moral: Books kill. And so does this story.

universe-X

Yeah, the story sucks. Especially since it only got one night of planning I wasn't able to implement some of Kefka's and Sauce's ideas. :-/ I couldn't find a place for them to fit. It's not the worst, at least.

Maretocks

You can do better. Give it more than one night next time. :D Not saying it's bad btw. :P
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

universe-X

:P Thanks, a lot of it sucked. It took up 4.5 pages of my notebook... When I printed it, it was only a 1.5 pages :( My teacher wouldn't have taken over 5 pages anyway :P I don't think it's worth failing... who am I kidding?

Maretocks

Meh, it's no testament to your writing skills. IF you get a low mark don't worry about it, like you said, it was only one night's work.

I hate that. Mic Word makes everything so much smaller. >.<
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

universe-X

MaestroUGC

...The Curse of Charles Linden...I sense some inspiratation...
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

universe-X

Yeah, I was learning about Charles Darwin in Science :P

Anyways, my teacher told us to pick one of 14 topics/titles to choose from. A lot of people chose this one, as did I. When we picked the topic, it had a title on the top and a quote on the bottom and a picture in the middle of the paper. The picture helped a lot as to where I should take the story (it was something coming out of a book. The quote is "He had warned her about the book. Now it was too late." The title was, of course, Mr. Linden's Library.

And there's your "inspiration" :P

Maretocks

I hate when teachers inhibit creativity like that.
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

SuperFireKirby

Creativity= Failure.[/mindset of teachers]

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

universe-X

And then a week earlier, our teacher was gonna give us extra points on another project for creativity. I gave shit (no color).

Maretocks

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on May 08, 2010, 03:53:37 PMCreativity= Failure.[/mindset of teachers]
Ever had to research Aesop in english? We had to write fables. My God...*has war flashback*
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

ETFROXX

I only read the moral, BOOKS DO NOT KILL! sjdfiejurjds D:<

universe-X

I beg to differ (thanks again, Savvy!)

Fox IV

I actually like that story, but it felt pretty rush (I imagine you had only a limited space).  A lot of the dialogue at the beginning was unnecessary and took away from space you could have used for the main part of the story, but I enjoyed when they approach the book and she takes it home.  (Though I don't understand how it could have been a set up.)