We all saw it coming... Pokémon's fifth generation announced

Started by Cobraroll, February 07, 2010, 12:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oni-Link

Since there's always a 3rd game for a new generation, how much do are you gonna bet that it's gonna be called Gray/Grey?

Cobraroll

^I guess that, partially because of the spelling difference, it will be grey, but named something like "Brown" or "Shade".
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Oni-Link

Quote from: Cobraroll on June 04, 2010, 01:06:42 AM^I guess that, partially because of the spelling difference, it will be grey, but named something like "Brown" or "Shade".
Shade sounds nice.

Tranzlater

Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

SlowPokemon

Or maybe there won't be a third one. o.o
There will be, but only to make money. I mean, how many of you actually like the remakes better than the first two versions? :P
There is only one, so you can't play with a friend, like I get Ruby you get Sapphire sort of thing, plus you can't find many Pokemon from the original two. The trainers get a minor and stupid redesign.
I prefer the originals, save for more experienced Pokemon and the Battle Frontier rather than the Battle Tower (which, let's face it, is the most fun of the facilities anyway).
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Oni-Link

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 04, 2010, 09:28:28 AMOr maybe there won't be a third one. o.o
There will be, but only to make money. I mean, how many of you actually like the remakes better than the first two versions? :P
There is only one, so you can't play with a friend, like I get Ruby you get Sapphire sort of thing, plus you can't find many Pokemon from the original two. The trainers get a minor and stupid redesign.
I prefer the originals, save for more experienced Pokemon and the Battle Frontier rather than the Battle Tower (which, let's face it, is the most fun of the facilities anyway).
The Battle Frontier in Emerald was better than R&S

IMO

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Oni-Link on June 04, 2010, 09:51:26 AMThe Battle Frontier in Emerald was better than R&B

IMO

Umm, I think you mean R&S for one thing, but yeah, I agree.  :-\

Oni-Link

Cobraroll

I'm bored. Like, really bored. Time to write a long post. My PC decides to screw with me, so I won't start writing Emergence until I've fixed it. It goes into Bluescreen at random, so I may lose all progress any second. For that reason, this (quite long) post will be submitted, then I'll edit more into it progressively.

It's time for speculation. Namely, the final evolutions of the starters:

I'll start with Tsutarja, the Grass type starter. Tsutaria appears to be a cross between a lizard and a snake, and is my personal favourite among the starters. So, what will it do?

My bet is that the first (or second, depending on your definition) evolution will be more of a lizard than Tsutarja is. Adding a set of fangs, and possibly go down on all fours (making it the first Pokémon to go from bipedal to quadrupedal during an evolution). Most likely secondary type is Poison. The leaf on its tail will probably be bigger as it evolves, becoming almost fan-like.

The final evolution should be exciting. My guess is that it would lose all limbs during evolution, and become almost Rayquaza-like: a snake. I picture it being roughly the size of Seviper, but not resembling it at all. For example, not as curled up, and with a large leaf on its tail, resembling a bush or a tree as it sneaks up to its prey. However, it will play a lot differently from Venusaur, even though they will share types. This new one will have more Attack than the previous Grass starters, and a lot of speed too. However, it will be more frail, having less Defense and Special Defense than for example Meganium and Torterra.

Up next: Pokabu, the Fire type:

Pokabu is a piglet of sorts, giving it only one way to go upon evolution: Warthog. I bet the first evolution will be a bigger, but not totally badass pig. Excelling in HP and Attack or Special Defense, its evolution will be an atypical Fire type. Perhaps it will gain a secondary type upon evolution, if so, my bet is Ground. This will make it extremely vulnerable to Water attacks, though, and perhaps upset the balance of the type triangle, so I'm not sure. However, I don't see any other likely option. It's that, or keeping its type. Pokabu is partially black, but I don't see another Fire/Dark type coming any time soon.

The final evolution will most likely be a warthog. With a body type much like Bastiodon, typing like Camerupt and a play style much like Rhyperior, I don't see it make the higher tiers of competitive play. However, it will have a high Attack stat and good HP, so it should make a fine addition to any team. Just don't expect to see it ploughing through teams, or sport a lot of different moves. It won't be nearly as versatile as Infernape or Blaziken, for example.

Last, Mijumaru, the Water type:

Mijumaru resembles Piplup in my eyes. It's something about the colour choice or the eyes or something. This little Sea Otter looks like it would prefer a colder climate, perhaps gaining a secondary Ice type upon evolution. This would allow it to hit the Grass starter hard with STAB attacks, but leave it more vulnerable to the Fire type. This would, however, not allow for a balanced type triangle like the one we got in D/P, since the Grass type would be inferior to the Fire type in every way. So expect at least one of my type predictions to be wrong.

Now well, onto the evolution. To be honest, I'm not expecting much from the secondary evolution. Among water types, they've all been a little "meh". However, the final evolution could be an exciting one. I'm not sure what it would look like, but I think it would be bipedal, with the shell on Mijumaru's chest having evolved into a full chest plate. It's possible that it would be a beaver of sorts, and hopefully, it will be better than Bibarel. Perhaps a little more bulky, with good Special Attack and... gah, I just described Empoleon.
All in all, the Water type is very uncertain to me. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think I'd pick the Grass or Fire one.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Oni-Link

Quote from: Cobraroll on June 04, 2010, 01:19:15 PMI'm bored. Like, really bored. Time to write a long post. My PC decides to screw with me, so I won't start writing Emergence until I've fixed it. It goes into Bluescreen at random, so I may lose all progress any second. For that reason, this (quite long) post will be submitted, then I'll edit more into it progressively.

I'll start with Tsutarja, the Grass type starter. Tsutaria appears to be a cross between a lizard and a snake, and is my personal favourite among the starters. So, what will it do?

My bet is that the first (or second, depending on your definition) evolution will be more of a lizard than Tsutarja is. Adding a set of fangs, and possibly go down on all fours (making it the first Pokémon to go from bipedal to quadrupedal during an evolution). Most likely secondary type is Poison. The leaf on its tail will probably be bigger as it evolves, becoming almost fan-like.

The final evolution should be exciting. My guess is that it would lose all limbs during evolution, and become almost Rayquaza-like: a snake. I picture it being roughly the size of Seviper, but not resembling it at all. For example, not as curled up, and with a large leaf on its tail, resembling a bush or a tree as it sneaks up to its prey. However, it will play a lot differently from Venusaur, even though they will share types. This new one will have more Attack than the previous Grass starters, and a lot of speed too. However, it will be more frail, having less Defense and Special Defense than for example Meganium and Torterra.

Up next: Pokabu, the Fire type.

SlowPokemon

Alright, I don't wanna quote your entire post, so just know I'm talking to Cobraroll.
I agree.

Tsutaja is my personal favorite (though I think I'm just Grass-oriented at this point). It looks really cool. Grass-Poison is the probable Type, although (don't start putting me down, it's just a thought) it could also be Normal. Doesn't seem probable, and it's not worth much battle-wise (except for not being affected by Ghost-Types), but it IS a snake, after all. Dunsparce was normal. Or maybe it'll be Dragon. Not likely in either case though.

Pokabu (perhaps English name Porkabu? ;D) looks sort of goofy but has potential to be epic. Fire-Ground is the only way to go with that one.

Mijumaru is very ugly, looking more like a Bidoof than a Piplup, but I didn't see Piplup as any cute either, so that may be me. Ice is most likely the secondary Type. If it has one. Or maybe Nintendo'll surprise us and give it some random epic Type. Like Fighting xD.

Oni-Link

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 04, 2010, 04:50:17 PMAlright, I don't wanna quote your entire post, so just know I'm talking to Cobraroll.
I agree.

Tsutaja is my personal favorite (though I think I'm just Grass-oriented at this point). It looks really cool. Grass-Poison is the probable Type, although (don't start putting me down, it's just a thought) it could also be Normal. Doesn't seem probable, and it's not worth much battle-wise (except for not being affected by Ghost-Types), but it IS a snake, after all. Dunsparce was normal. Or maybe it'll be Dragon. Not likely in either case though.

Pokabu (perhaps English name Porkabu? ;D) looks sort of goofy but has potential to be epic. Fire-Ground is the only way to go with that one.

Mijumaru is very ugly, looking more like a Bidoof than a Piplup, but I didn't see Piplup as any cute either, so that may be me. Ice is most likely the secondary Type. If it has one. Or maybe Nintendo'll surprise us and give it some random epic Type. Like Fighting xD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJI_EH6qytU

KefkaticFanatic

Basically, Smugleaf wins, the other two are dumb.  All you need to know.

me irl
[close]

Tranzlater

Quote from: Cobraroll on June 04, 2010, 01:19:15 PMI'm bored. Like, really bored. Time to write a long post. My PC decides to screw with me, so I won't start writing Emergence until I've fixed it. It goes into Bluescreen at random, so I may lose all progress any second. For that reason, this (quite long) post will be submitted, then I'll edit more into it progressively.

Up next: Pokabu, the Fire type:

Pokabu is a piglet of sorts, giving it only one way to go upon evolution: Warthog. I bet the first evolution will be a bigger, but not totally badass pig. Excelling in HP and Attack or Special Defense, its evolution will be an atypical Fire type. Perhaps it will gain a secondary type upon evolution, if so, my bet is Ground. This will make it extremely vulnerable to Water attacks, though, and perhaps upset the balance of the type triangle, so I'm not sure. However, I don't see any other likely option. It's that, or keeping its type. Pokabu is partially black, but I don't see another Fire/Dark type coming any time soon.

The final evolution will most likely be a warthog. With a body type much like Bastiodon, typing like Camerupt and a play style much like Rhyperior, I don't see it make the higher tiers of competitive play. However, it will have a high Attack stat and good HP, so it should make a fine addition to any team. Just don't expect to see it ploughing through teams, or sport a lot of different moves. It won't be nearly as versatile as Infernape or Blaziken, for example.

Last, Mijumaru, the Water type:

Mijumaru resembles Piplup in my eyes. It's something about the colour choice or the eyes or something. This little Sea Otter looks like it would prefer a colder climate, perhaps gaining a secondary Ice type upon evolution. This would allow it to hit the Grass starter hard with STAB attacks, but leave it more vulnerable to the Fire type. This would, however, not allow for a balanced type triangle like the one we got in D/P, since the Grass type would be inferior to the Fire type in every way. So expect at least one of my type predictions to be wrong.

Now well, onto the evolution. To be honest, I'm not expecting much from the secondary evolution. Among water types, they've all been a little "meh". However, the final evolution could be an exciting one. I'm not sure what it would look like, but I think it would be bipedal, with the shell on Mijumaru's chest having evolved into a full chest plate. It's possible that it would be a beaver of sorts, and hopefully, it will be better than Bibarel. Perhaps a little more bulky, with good Special Attack and... gah, I just described Empoleon.
All in all, the Water type is very uncertain to me. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think I'd pick the Grass or Fire one.

It's gonna be funny if they're all wrong, and even funnier if they're all right
Quote from: Arison The Bat
oviosly so far i've only got "little unmature kids" to respond to this thread
After months of mediation and exams, I return.
Probably not for long.

SlowPokemon