News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Dahans' arrangements: Christmas Surprise 2014

Started by dahans, November 13, 2009, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking for motivation... what do you want me to do nex?

Pokemon
19 (41.3%)
Super Mario
17 (37%)
Another medley
6 (13%)
Orchestrated arrangement
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

dahans

Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

dahans

Hmmmm..... people really should check out the submission thread before they request a song -.- .

Clanker37

Quote from: dahans on April 22, 2012, 08:35:41 AMHmmmm..... people really should check out the submission thread before they request a song -.- .
Sorry dahans D: I'm checking for the others now...

dahans

Alright alright... but... do you like it? ^^ Which version is better/more accurate?

pumpy_heart

Nice arrangement of Snowpoint City. I remember checking out the other one, but it was some time ago. Here's some tips to improve yours:
Anytime you have written D-D# or G-G#, it should really be spelled as lower neighbors, so Cx-D# or Fx-G#. That shows the melodic line clearly and helps with the harmonic function of each note.
Great song!

dahans

Thanks a lot! I know about this problem. I don't know who told me that, but someone advised me to avoid double sharps / double flats, because that would make it easier to read. I completely disagree with this idea, but well, if we are "allowed" to use them, I will definitely change it!

pumpy_heart

Oh, no doubt about it, easier to read without the double sharps and flats. I 100% agree. But when they're so clearly employed, you have to write them. 65% of the melody line on the first page alone are steps going up. This has to be clearly shown in the arrangement and can only be done with the double sharps. Spelling with double sharps and flats to make a triad should also be done in all cases. It's hard to read D#, Fx, and A#. But should it arise, it should never be spelled as D#, G, A#. An ascending chromatic line may use double sharps as well (say a passing line from C# to D# would use Cx, not D natural) and a descending chromatic line may use double flats (say from Bb to Ab). Harder to read in all of those cases. Necessary to the music for the correct spelling, absolutely.

dahans

Clanker37

Quote from: dahans on April 22, 2012, 08:48:33 AMAlright alright... but... do you like it? ^^ Which version is better/more accurate?
Definetly yours. Drp's is good, but yours has that speacial flare you put into all your arrangements which make them so awesome!

dahans

MoboMoga

Quote from: dahans on April 22, 2012, 08:02:57 AMSnowpoint city:
[MUS] [MIDI] [PDF]

Took me a lot of time to do it! :D Have fun!

thnx dahans! i always like ur arrangements the best cuz they have some difficulty in them. thnx in advance!  ;D ;D

dahans

pumpy_heart

Ah man. Glad my last comment ends with you.
Great arrangement, sounds fun to play. Hearing the references to other Mario pieces, well constructed piece.

The only problem that I see is that the E flats should be D sharps. The chord those measures are based on is an augmented triad built on G (so G B D# instead of Eb G B). The augmented chord is built on the V, dominant, of C. This leads to two notes (B and D#) to be chromatic lower neighbors to two notes of the tonic chord (C and E). Very common alteration of the dominant. Another one, not in this piece, is a diminished chord built on the dominant. This has two notes a chromatic halfstep away from the tonic (G B Db, where B and Db are a half step away from C).

Everything else works great. Fantastic arrangement. Keep it up.

SlowPokemon

"my last comment?"

Also, it's great to see you back in the arranging game.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.