News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Dahans' arrangements: Christmas Surprise 2014

Started by dahans, November 13, 2009, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking for motivation... what do you want me to do nex?

Pokemon
19 (41.3%)
Super Mario
17 (37%)
Another medley
6 (13%)
Orchestrated arrangement
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

SlowPokemon

Quote from: dahans on August 08, 2011, 06:39:19 AMAlright... This took me ages to finish it. Anyway, I hope you will like it :D!
The Great R/S Medley:
[MUS] [MIDI]

I will admit it: when I first saw you had finished arranging this, I was somewhat skeptical. However, upon looking/listening to it, I believe it is your most epic and fantastically well-done arrangement to date. I love it, and I can't believe how well you've done it.

There are only a couple things I've noticed that I have issues with:
A) the dynamics make the midi very "bipolar", by which I mean the sound goes from very loud to suddenly really quiet, then very loud again. I realize it's meant to, but it makes it very abrupt. xD This is purely an audio issue, though, of course.
B) This could also be classified as a purely audio issue, but it's also in the way it's played: your ending theme arrangement, while great, has a couple issues: there are supposed to be ritards in the second half of 297, 299, 315, 331, and 339; immediately followed by an "a tempo" the next measure.
C) It's very hard to play! (But this comes with such an epic arrangement that this complaint shouldn't be taken seriously)

Here are my favorite things:
A) The Verdanturf Town remix, it shows that you really are talented as an arranger, and you're not just transcribing the songs
B) The bridges between the songs are very clever
C) The Ending Theme arrangement is so fantastic! I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it! :-\

Overall, after a minute or so, I had a silly grin on my face listening to this arrangement, it brought back very nostalgic memories, and really was great overall. Perhaps with time, I will master this medley! xD (But I don't see that happening anytime soon)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bespinben

Here's what I like about you Dahans --- some arrangers on NSM just arrange a bunch of short, obscure pieces just so they can have their topic at the top of the submissions thread and gain popularity. You, on the other hand, put so much time, effort, and quality into your work, as evidenced by this fantastic R/S medley. 
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Bespinben on August 08, 2011, 09:31:01 AMsome arrangers on NSM just arrange a bunch of short, obscure pieces just so they can have their topic at the top of the submissions thread and gain popularity

xD Guilty as charged...actually it's not for those reasons, I just really have a passion for music and I arrange songs that I like (which are often short), but I have little or no talent for it.

dahans

Woah... I am almost crying right now^^. Thank you so much... and concerning the ending theme I will change it of course^^. :D:D:D

And I also think that this is my best work so far!
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Brassman388

There's nothing wrong with just transcribing. It trains the ear and helps with arranging methods.

Jub3r7

No one said anything against transcribing. Bespinben was describing how much time and effort he puts into his pieces.

And hurray!
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

dahans

Haha xD thank you^^ :D And that's true there's nothing wrong with transcribing.
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SlowPokemon

In fact, transcribing is usually~always better. In this case, though, it gave the piece a little something extra because it was for the most part well done :)

pumpy_heart

I'd check out the RS medley, but I skipped that whole generation of critters. Maybe after they release Rosy Ruby and Sassy Sapphire remakes..
Anyways, I listened to your Pokemon Theme Song arrangement and the only comment I have is that every time you use a g flat, it should be an f#. The song changes key centers a few times and the times the g flat is used, the key is more in g minor than the original b flat. And the dominant triad in g minor is d major, which would be spelled d f# a.
Otherwise, it sounds great. Good job.

Nebbles

I'll look at the RS medley one day. But lord I'll have to wait until I'm good enough ;_;
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bespinben on August 08, 2011, 09:31:01 AMHere's what I like about you Dahans --- some arrangers on NSM just arrange a bunch of short, obscure pieces just so they can have their topic at the top of the submissions thread and gain popularity. You, on the other hand, put so much time, effort, and quality into your work, as evidenced by this fantastic R/S medley. 
WHAT'S WRONG WITH OBSCURE PIECES >: ((((((((((((((((((((

Quote from: Nebbles on August 08, 2011, 08:20:29 PMI'll look at the RS medley one day. But lord I'll have to wait until I'm good enough ;_;
you'll never be able to play it well with the way he writes impossibly difficult right hand parts :P
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Shadoninja

it was less about your playing ability and more his arranging style.
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

SlowPokemon

Yes, it would take a pianist talented beyond belief or possibility to play any of his arrangements. That's why I kind of adlib from his arrangements.

Bespinben

Quote from: Shadoninja on August 08, 2011, 08:35:58 PMWHAT'S WRONG WITH OBSCURE PIECES >: ((((((((((((((((((((

Not that I have a problem with them, it's just sometimes I get a little frustrated when they seem to take precedence over more desired pieces. For example, my favorite two songs from Chrono Trigger, "Secret of the Forest" and "Corridors of Time" (aka "Zeal"), were not anywhere to be found in the Chrono Trigger section on the home page of NSM, and I think I may not be the only one who wishes to see these on site.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 08, 2011, 09:00:27 PMYes, it would take a pianist talented beyond belief or possibility to play any of his arrangements. That's why I kind of adlib from his arrangements.

I don't think Dahans' arrangements are that hard, at least compared to Maestro's arrangements.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday