Dahans' arrangements: Christmas Surprise 2014

Started by dahans, November 13, 2009, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking for motivation... what do you want me to do nex?

Pokemon
19 (41.3%)
Super Mario
17 (37%)
Another medley
6 (13%)
Orchestrated arrangement
4 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 46

dahans

Looking ahead:
[MUS] [MIDI]

Update! :D
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

Korados

Looking ahead is a very good arrangement! But I would suggest to take the second layer out of the notes that are the same, starting in measure 13. You can make a tie onto that without a tied note, just that tie line, to say the piano player that this note is to be held down, you see that often in Alberto Ginastera's scores, just by the way.

May I now comment your own compositions? I listended to the Bowser and Bowser Jr. Battle and I was astonished how exiciting they are and the orchestra version is wonderful, the melody immediately goes to your heart. Further - as I'm German - it made me smile to read "dramatisch" in the piano score of the bowser jr. battle. BUUUT: I rather was reminded of a Mozartian Overture mixed with the "anglo-saxon way" of Grant Kirkhope or Robin Beanland than of a battle against the Koopa Family. To give some examples if you allow: The Battles against Bowser are strongly based on russian songs, like in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Ever listened to "Volga Boat Men"? ;) On the other hand the Bowser Jr. Battles are usually "alla zingarese", somewhat inspired by Liszt or the early Bartok (for the dissonances). The last and biggest point: Where is the Sitar?! I'ts the Koopa Family's hallmark! I was a bit disappointed that there was no the sitar in the orchestration.

Last but not least: I hope I didn't offend you now, I just wanted to give you a detailed feedback. ;D

dahans

Quote from: Korados on September 03, 2010, 10:16:56 AMLooking ahead is a very good arrangement! But I would suggest to take the second layer out of the notes that are the same, starting in measure 13. You can make a tie onto that without a tied note, just that tie line, to say the piano player that this note is to be held down, you see that often in Alberto Ginastera's scores, just by the way.

May I now comment your own compositions? I listended to the Bowser and Bowser Jr. Battle and I was astonished how exiciting they are and the orchestra version is wonderful, the melody immediately goes to your heart. Further - as I'm German - it made me smile to read "dramatisch" in the piano score of the bowser jr. battle. BUUUT: I rather was reminded of a Mozartian Overture mixed with the "anglo-saxon way" of Grant Kirkhope or Robin Beanland than of a battle against the Koopa Family. To give some examples if you allow: The Battles against Bowser are strongly based on russian songs, like in Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Ever listened to "Volga Boat Men"? ;) On the other hand the Bowser Jr. Battles are usually "alla zingarese", somewhat inspired by Liszt or the early Bartok (for the dissonances). The last and biggest point: Where is the Sitar?! I'ts the Koopa Family's hallmark! I was a bit disappointed that there was no the sitar in the orchestration.

Last but not least: I hope I didn't offend you now, I just wanted to give you a detailed feedback. ;D
Thank you so much Korados! :D You didn't offend me at all. That was a nice and detailed feedback!
(BTW, I am Austrian!)

Concerning the arrangment "looking ahead": you are right, I'll change that!

Concerning the compositions: Thanks for the compliments. I composed those 2 songs half a year ago and you are right! A russian style would have been more appropriate. If you say that my piece reminds you of a Mozartian overture, it doesn't offend me, it makes me very happy :D.

Once again, thanks for your comment!

dahans

The Deku Trombonist

Woody Woods - seems to sound alright, but a few layout issues.

Just wondering - What version of Finale do you use? Because if you've got the full one, there are a whole lot of cool layout tricks I can show you.

dahans

The Deku Trombonist

Okey. There are so many things to consider, it almost deserves a guide. Kinda like the NSM Resources idea that Ruto was on about a little while ago...

Anyway, first off. I know I said this before...but note groupings again. Take bar 18 for example. The second layer should be written as quaver rest->crotchet->quaver tied to another quaver->then the last three quavers.

Similar kind of issue with some of the off-the-beat rhythms in the left hand. The last 2 beats of bar 13 should be dotted quaver->semiquaver tied to a quaver->quaver. Same thing about highlighting the beat. There are other examples of this around the place that need to be fixed up.

And the red squiggly line in the last bar is overlapping the accidental in front of the "A." They're not too difficult to reposition but they tend to be a little awkward to move at times.

As for layout. A lot of the beams (the lines that hold a group of four quavers together etc) are overlapping with each other.

You can move the beams by going to Tools->Advanced Tools->Special Tools->Beam angle. To use this tool, you click on the bar you want (make sure you have the right layer selected too) and you should see handles (square boxes) on each beam. Click and drag to move them beams around.

Two things you need to be aware of when using this tool:
(1) The handle on the left moves the whole beam up and down
(2) The handle on the right only moves the right corner, therefore changing the angle of the beam.

Just experiment and you'll get the hang of it.

Also under Special Tools is a handy tool called Accidental Mover. Basically it lets you reposition the accidentals. Once again, select the bar and the layer you want and click and drag.

Just remember that once someone prints your sheet, they won't see any colours at all. Everything is black. So it's always a good idea to check that you can see everything seperately (no overlapping) when there are no colours. Seeing as there is no Print Preview option to my knowledge, you have to turn off the colours. Go to View->Select Display Colors... and uncheck the Use score colors checkbox at the top. Then click ok. When you want colours back, go back and tick the check box again.

There just a little bit to have fun with. There are a whole bunch of other Special Tools that are worth checking out too.

dahans

dahans

Korados

Duel Map is fine, but there are the usual two issues :D: You have some e#'s in that score, could you make them to F naturals? An e# normally only are written in F# and C# Major. The second, from m. 19 you have to pedal to the end of the piece, if you pedal all the way, the notes will sound more and more messy, 'til you get one chunk of music. So I suggest placing the pedal/non-pedal marks for every measure, it's annoying but the piano player will understand it better.

dahans

Thanks! I just put the pedal mark so that the piano player knows that he should use the pedal... but I will change that too. Thanks!

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

DrP

Ok, so I am planning that my big comeback comes with stuff I have written for the upcoming RSE medley... I'll give you the release date and the sheets will be much more secretive... so it is much more of a surprise for all of the rest of the listeners!!!

dahans

Great news DrP! :D

I am going to take a break... I have arranged quite a lot the past weeks. But I won't quit arranging! ;)

DrP