News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

The grammar topic

Started by dahans, October 28, 2009, 11:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Different English speaking countries many times have diffent ways to spell, pronounce, and puncuate the language.(biggest difference is usually between U.S. and UK) So yeah, it really depends on who you ask and where they're from.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Maretocks

Quote from: Seeker on December 26, 2009, 04:14:27 PMIf you're in America you say burned, if you're in England, you say burnt. If you're in Australia, you cry because no one cares about you.

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=146420
I may be crying right now, but it still means I can use whichever one I want!  ;D
<INSERT WITTY SLOGAN>

dahans

Quote from: Maretocks on December 30, 2009, 04:03:33 PM
Quote from: Seeker on December 26, 2009, 04:14:27 PMIf you're in America you say burned, if you're in England, you say burnt. If you're in Australia, you cry because no one cares about you.

http://www.onestopenglish.com/section.asp?docid=146420
I may be crying right now, but it still means I can use whichever one I want!  ;D
Is there a big difference between Australian/B and AEnglish?
Check out my arrangements! I mean it! Check them out!

SuperFireKirby

Australian English is almost the same as British English, but American and British English have alot of differences. Such as the fact that many British terms for various thing send up becoming a word for homolexual in america( Gay=happy, fag= cigarette, queer= an adjective describing something odd or strange) three fairly random words all mean homosexual in the US for some reason.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

dahans

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on December 31, 2009, 06:46:25 AMAustralian English is almost the same as British English, but American and British English have alot of differences. Such as the fact that many British terms for various thing send up becoming a word for homolexual in america( Gay=happy, fag= cigarette, queer= an adjective describing something odd or strange) three fairly random words all mean homosexual in the US for some reason.
Wow... nice description

SuperFireKirby

I'm just pointing out the oddities of language. You can find some pretty interesting words if you just read through your dictionary.

dahans

Which English is the best one?

universe-X

There's no such thing as the BEST one. Only the more preffered to use, which is American (I would think) since most countries learn "American English" if they were to have emmigrants come here one day.

SuperFireKirby

But American English can be a bit more annoying for non-english speakers just because of how some of the grammar is.

dahans

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 04, 2010, 11:35:01 AMBut American English can be a bit more annoying for non-english speakers just because of how some of the grammar is.
As far as I am concerned, I learn the British English in school. I spent 1 week in England and it was easy to understand. I have neither talked with an American, nor with an Australian.

universe-X

Quote from: dahans on January 04, 2010, 01:20:57 PM
Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 04, 2010, 11:35:01 AMBut American English can be a bit more annoying for non-english speakers just because of how some of the grammar is.
I have neither talked with an American, nor with an Australian.

I have neither SPOKEN with an American, nor with an Australian.

dahans

Quote from: universe-X on January 04, 2010, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: dahans on January 04, 2010, 01:20:57 PM
I have neither talked with an American, nor with an Australian.

I have neither SPOKEN with an American, nor with an Australian.
Thx a lot^^.

dahans

What's the difference between economic and economical?

universe-X

Quote from: dahans on January 06, 2010, 08:56:56 AMWhat's the difference between economic and economical?

*Checks dictionary*

Ah, here it is.

Economic(s) has to do with business, paying to help the "owner" of something, or the practical and theoretical science of the production and distribution of wealth.

Economical: conservative, avoiding waste. Basically anyone that really doesn't like giving money.

Hoper this helps.