News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roz~

I know right?

Waking up after a partay w/ a swollen hand and not remembering what you did to hurt yourself = totally worth it. T'was great and I had a lot of fun for the first time in a long while.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Thanks. For a moment there I was worried, though. I almost needed to blow you.

DrP

Roz~

My hand is swollen. I'm pretty sure I didn't hit my hand on anything, plus you can see some small cuts on it. WTF.

Someone told me earlier today about a religion where they celebrate solstices and equinoxes. I lol'd.

Piano_Pika_

Quote from: Harvest on May 19, 2011, 08:39:31 PMSmoking habit?  I've never smoked anything in my life.

Nobody smokes anymore anyway, this isn't the 50s or 60s.
pot, smoke, I was trying to make a point  ::)

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 06, 2011, 01:52:52 PM
I like your enthusiasm about everything. XD

ETFROXX

Quote from: Piano_Pika_ on May 19, 2011, 08:17:30 PMthat's exactly what my mom says, and I agree with her. we wouldnt have damn monkeys if we evloved from them!

*gasp*

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Roz~ on May 20, 2011, 06:03:42 AMI know right?

Waking up after a partay w/ a swollen hand and not remembering what you did to hurt yourself = totally worth it. T'was great and I had a lot of fun for the first time in a long while.
Sounds like a textbook case of rape. Tell me, did your hand drink any beverages that might have contained roofies?

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Jub3r7

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 20, 2011, 01:26:43 AMThere is simply no way piano_pika is almost sixteen.
The guy who said the world is going to end tomorrow looks over 60.
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Piano_Pika_

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 20, 2011, 01:26:43 AMThere is simply no way piano_pika is almost sixteen.
yeah? so what age u think i am?  :P

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 06, 2011, 01:52:52 PM
I like your enthusiasm about everything. XD

SuperFireKirby

So no parents for the weekend. Massive Judgement Day part at my house! Be there or be not there

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Raymondbl

Hm, they think you are younger because of the way you talk.  It does sound more like a younger person, but I will take your word that you're sixteen until some other evidence emerges.  Try not to speak of religion on here - most people here have different views and will be rude to you.
The purpose of life is to survive.  Deal with it.

Cobraroll

Quote from: Roz~ on May 20, 2011, 09:04:53 AMSomeone told me earlier today about a religion where they celebrate solstices and equinoxes. I lol'd.

Indeed.
Ever wondered why Christmas is dated almost spot-on the Winter Solstice (Hint: it was the event of the year in heathen religions before Christianity was widespread)? I mean, seeing as Jesus was given newborn lambs from the shepherds when he was born, he certainly wasn't born in late December. That, or the detail about newborn lambs was wrong. Or the sheep around Betlehem choose to give birth at the darkest and coldest time of the year, when lambs are least likely to survive.

Same with Easter. Its exact dates are fluctuating, but it's always set around the spring equinox. By the way, have you heard about the Germanic godess Ä'ostre?

St. John's Day? Just overlapping with the Summer Solstice. Also still celebrated as Midsummer Day in several places.

All hallow's Eve, or Halloween as we might know it is also set at the time around Autumn equinox. The exact dates are all a little off, as calendars have changed throughout a couple thousand years, but it's fairly obvious that the dates were choosen so the transition between Pagan rituals and Christian celebrations would be easier for the newly Christened (or soon-to-be-Christened) heathens. To put it like that, Christianity absorbed and transformed the old religions. What we celebrate today is simply just adaptions.

By the way, I think it's nice celebrating solstices and equinoxes. At least, these dates have meant a lot to me this year, when I've been living so far North, and light conditions vary drastically between seasons.
Autumn equinox marked the end of summer as we knew it (wet and cold, basically), from there on we really got to feel what Winter really was like.
Winter Solstice was a happy day for us depressed soldiers. Finally, "days" were becoming longer (using quotation marks because all we had was twilight the hour around noon), and the fact that it would finally become lighter gave a huge morale boost.
Spring equinox marked a final goodbye to the eternal darkness of the winter months. Days were now longer than the nights, and it kept being lighter. The sun also provided some sought-after warmth.
Summer Solstice hasn't happened yet, but I'm looking forward to it. The lightest time of the year, with sun being up all day and all night. A wonderful contrast to the bitter Winter, certainly worth celebrating. Also, at that date, there's just a mere two weeks left of my service.

Quote from: Raymondbl on May 20, 2011, 12:03:24 PMTry not to speak of religion on here - most people here have different views and will be rude to you.

I think we could pull of this discussion in a civilized way. After all, most of the people who warns about others being rude are the ones who are rude themselves. We could have a separate thread for civilized and light-hearted discussion, where rudeness, un-serious critisism or trolling would result in temporarily or permanent user bans, and the thread could be locked for a week if the discussion got too heated.

Let's face it, most other forums have a "views on the world"-thread, and it works fine. I've got to know a few people on here, and I know we certainly aren't a bunch of immature kids can be civil if we want to.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

ETFROXX

Roz~

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on May 20, 2011, 11:42:49 AMSounds like a textbook case of rape. Tell me, did your hand drink any beverages that might have contained roofies?

I don't think so. My hand always watches her drinks carefully.

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 20, 2011, 12:05:14 PMtl;dr

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to celebrate solstices/equinoxes. Some of their beliefs are nice, but some are just... weird in my opinion. Their soul totem thing is kind of... lolwat
At least they believe in science. They're already better than Christians!
Oh and their "leaders" names reminds me of some MMORPG. Lolz.
http://www.spiracanada.com/

Cobraroll

^Celebrating the solstices, equinoxes and whatnot and believing in spiritual stuff like that are wildly different things that don't necessarily imply each other (could be compared to owning a computer and playing an MMO, for instance).  ;) I agree with you, though.

A similiar thing goes for believing in science and being a Christian. They aren't mutually exclusive, but tend to be portrayed that way by the hardcore people on both sides (I wish for them one day to see how similiar they are to each other. Extreme right and extreme left tend to make a circle).

Also, looking at that website, lolz seem to be the appropriate word of choice. They sound like nice people with a good idea, but presenting their leaders by their "spiritual names" is not the best way to go if they want to be taken seriously. I mean, "Ravendreamer"? It's okay to be into whatever you are doing, but if you want to cater to people, it's much better to appeal to your professionality rather than your devotion.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Roz~

Quote from: Cobraroll on May 20, 2011, 12:49:34 PM^Celebrating the solstices, equinoxes and whatnot and believing in spiritual stuff like that are wildly different things that don't necessarily imply each other (could be compared to owning a computer and playing an MMO, for instance).  ;) I agree with you, though.

A similiar thing goes for believing in science and being a Christian. They aren't mutually exclusive, but tend to be portrayed that way by the hardcore people on both sides (I wish for them one day to see how similiar they are to each other. Extreme right and extreme left tend to make a circle).

Also, looking at that website, lolz seem to be the appropriate word of choice. They sound like nice people with a good idea, but presenting their leaders by their "spiritual names" is not the best way to go if they want to be taken seriously. I mean, "Ravendreamer"? It's okay to be into whatever you are doing, but if you want to cater to people, it's much better to appeal to your professionality rather than your devotion.

They believe in that sort of stuff + celebrate solstices/equinoxes. I know they don't imply each other, it's just that this religion implies both celebrating them and believing in that spiritual stuff.
And yep, I agree with the circle thing, as do history, haha.
Oh and did you check their store? They sell some album thing one of their leaders did. Wonder what kind of music that is, haha. Not paying 20$ to figure it out though.