News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashi

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on May 19, 2011, 03:41:12 PM@SFK:

Religion was a method for the unintelligent simple people of the past to be able to explain all of the natural phenomena that occurred around them.  As they lacked the methods to discover, prove, etc. why the sky was blue, why humans are the only ones that can talk, etc., they went ahead and made mythology to explain all of these things.  As we are now able to go ahead and actually find answers to things, the only thing that religion really does now is try and console people who are afraid of death.  Which is fine if you really need that.  However, the rest of it is simply outdated and irrelevant in the modern age.
Although some religions can certainly be proven wrong through the use of science, since most religions do have some sort of basis to stand on, as far as the existence of a God, or even Gods, or anything goes, no matter how hard science tries, it would be impossible to prove that a God doesn't exist.  Who knows, what if a God exists but is just a Deist?  It's definitely a major possibility with all religions of the world aside.  And for this same proof that God's existence can't be proven false, most religions can't exactly be proven false either; and if they can, not completely, they're still going to have some legitimacy.  Most religions rely heavily on history to hold themselves up, and it's difficult to prove some miracles of history incorrect without ever being there, so any theories that prove any historical religious events in the past false can only be qualified.
Not to say religion is definitely correct.  I think theories that science has created are equally plausible in explaining the cause of our existence, among so many other things.  I just don't like seeing religion automatically proven as invalid and false.  I feel that a person's view on religion is all a matter of perspective; both science and religion create plausible theories on our existence, so I believe it's easy to see how people can be split between things such as atheism, piety, agnosticism, etc.

But anyway, just wanted to say that and nothing more.

EDIT This is the worst grammar I have ever written in a while.  I apologize if I've left anything I've stated ambiguous, I'm rather tired at the moment and am too lazy to fix my post.

Piano_Pika_

Quote from: Harvest on May 19, 2011, 05:59:51 PMhey ATHEISTS if evolution is real how come the monkeys are the zoo aren't still turning into HUMANS?

Ever read the BIBLE?  That is all the proof you need!  It has been PROVEN after all!
that's exactly what my mom says, and I agree with her. we wouldnt have damn monkeys if we evloved from them!

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 06, 2011, 01:52:52 PM
I like your enthusiasm about everything. XD

universe-X

Quote from: Piano_Pika_ on May 19, 2011, 08:17:30 PMthat's exactly what my mom says, and I agree with her. we wouldnt have damn monkeys if we evloved from them!
This comment....

probably doesn't make any sense.

Piano_Pika_

Quote from: universe-X on May 19, 2011, 08:23:57 PMThis comment....

probably doesn't make any sense.
why? it makes total sense. if we evolved from monkeys, there will be no mok=nkeys

universe-X

Oh now I see what you're saying. But you still don't seem to know what evolution really is.

Harvest

Quote from: Piano_Pika_ on May 19, 2011, 08:17:30 PMthat's exactly what my mom says, and I agree with her. we wouldnt have damn monkeys if we evloved from them!

Well actually Pika....humans didn't evolve from the monkeys we have today...we just share a common ancestor!

Sorry, but Jesus had to give this point up!  He told me as I prayed!
-

Piano_Pika_

I think evolution is the process of one substance changing to another, but I might be wrong

Piano_Pika_

Quote from: Harvest on May 19, 2011, 08:28:58 PMWell actually Pika....humans didn't evolve from the monkeys we have today...we just share a common ancestor!

Sorry, but Jesus had to give this point up!  He told me as I prayed!
oh, well, yes, I told you I got a 94 in Science. >,>

Boo-yeah, one point for the Xians team!

Piano_Pika_

oh, and Harvest, I pray u lose the smoking habit.  ;)

Harvest

Quote from: Piano_Pika_ on May 19, 2011, 08:34:31 PMoh, and Harvest, I pray u lose the smoking habit.  ;)

Smoking habit?  I've never smoked anything in my life.

Nobody smokes anymore anyway, this isn't the 50s or 60s.
-

universe-X

Quote from: Harvest on May 19, 2011, 08:39:31 PMSmoking habit?  I've never smoked anything in my life.
Nobody smokes anymore anyway, this isn't the 50s or 60s.
Respect +5.

Quote from: Piano_Pika_ on May 19, 2011, 08:29:25 PMI think evolution is the process of one substance changing to another, but I might be wrong
Evolution: as I learned it, an organism (or a variation of one) that is better suited for its environment passes it's traits to it's offspring, if it is able to reproduce successfully. Organisms that are less suited, have a less successful chance of surviving, therefore dying off later.

Monkeys and humans are commonly associated because they share a common ancestor. I can't really define it all that well, look it up.
Also, look up vestigial organs if you want to know why men have breasts.

Dude

^I saw the word "Orgasm" somewhere in there.

universe-X

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: Mashi on May 19, 2011, 08:05:01 PMwall of text

Well that's the problem with ambiguous statements from single documents held up as indisputable proof, eh?

Also, in relation to the proving miracles statement, there's plenty of legitimate research looking at just such thing.  Example: http://news.discovery.com/history/moses-red-sea-parting.html

me irl
[close]

SlowPokemon

There is simply no way piano_pika is almost sixteen.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.