News:

Up-to-date news?! Preposterous!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 11, 2017, 11:55:48 AMHas anyone here ever heard of Planet 9, the supposed planet in our solar system far past Neptune's orbit and is supposedly almost as big as Neptune?
There. I wish Pluto wasn't demoted, but then again, Eris is more massive than Pluto.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

Last I heard there were 13 planets in our solar system
unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

The requirements for a planet are that they need to be a big rock or a big pile of gas and for some reason Pluto and the others don't count, and are considered "Dwarf Planets", because apparently they aren't big enough.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2017, 12:11:24 PMLast I heard there were 13 planets in our solar system
I looked & didn't see anything. Planet 9 is hypothesized to be 10x larger than Earth, so it wouldn't be considered a dwarf planet by any means.
We HAVE discovered over 300 dwarf planets, though.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 11, 2017, 12:21:17 PMPlanet 9 is hypothesized to be 10x larger than Earth
I know very little about space but how do you not notice a planet 10x larger than Earth?
innit

mikey

Because earth is mindbogglingly small, being 10 times larger than earth isn't saying much at all.
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

That and the fact that it's easier than you'd think to miss a planet. Even with the Hubble Space Telescope, Pluto (dwarf planet or otherwise) is a blurry dot about 20 pixels in diameter, and that's all we knew of it before New Horizons. Now imagine a planet that, while it is much larger, has an orbit not unlike those of the KPOs (although it's hypothesized to be on the opposite side of all of that), meaning that it is CRAZY far away from the Sun. There are/were only 2 indicators that pointed to such a thought of the existence of said planet:
1. Back in 2011, astronomers and astrobiologists tried to, using supercomputers, recreate the formation of our solar system. In all cases, it never worked. Until someone added a 9th planet in the mix. Then suddenly, everything seemed clear. But through this model, scientists thought (since no 9th planet was known) that this planet got too close to Jupiter and was flung out of the solar system early on in the solar system's life.
2. I don't remember exactly how this goes, but scientists found here recently that something was screwing with orbits of (memory gap), and so they tried to delve back into this theory.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

OK. Pluto was not removed from the planets for it's size alone. it's orbit is not in the same plane as all the other planets, not is it's orbit circular. If it was, it would have been created by the disc that coalesced around the sun when it formed, like every other planet. Thus, it is not considered one.

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Zunawe

I made round identicons. I thought I'd share.

NinSheetMusic

[close]
JaMaHa

[close]
Koji Kondo

[close]
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

braix

Quote from: braixen1264 on March 17, 2016, 07:05:38 AMit is maec 17
i am not birday
it is apache helicoptre
i hav no frend
gg
fwish~
In retrospection, I think I realize now why I had no friends.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Nebbles

guys it's valentine's day who wants to be my valentine
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Maelstrom

Quote from: Zunawe on February 13, 2017, 08:02:23 PMI made round identicons. I thought I'd share.

NinSheetMusic

[close]
JaMaHa

[close]
Koji Kondo

[close]
What do these even mean.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Nebbles on February 13, 2017, 09:00:40 PMguys it's valentine's day who wants to be my valentine
double post but I will nebbs