News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 08, 2016, 08:27:44 PMactually they're slightly different things
^ Truth.

I'm trying to get a friend of mine to stop thinking it's the same thing but he won't listen. It's starting to get really annoying.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Oronoco on September 08, 2016, 07:29:03 PMYup, I've been through it. Hype is good, but remember to look at it realistically, too (in case you're one of those people who thinks it's a magical faerie-tale where everyone's dreams come true. I had a great experience, but not quite on that level :))).
I know it won't be. :P Methinks I'm misinterpreting hype as competitive fire, but either way, I'm pumped!
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

daj

On the long walk back home, someone was playing a choppy rendition of the ASGORE theme on piano, so I stopped to listen. Turns out it was one of those classic four-part Christian hymns. Welp.

You can't go crazy from too much good vgm right? :p

Maelstrom

daj

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 09, 2016, 04:34:50 AMDid you find out what hymn it was?

How deep the Father's love for us! ^^

(in my defense it was being played in f major)

Oronoco

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on September 08, 2016, 07:56:03 PMwhat's the difference between a fairy and a faerie

I'm not actually sure, but I feel like a fairy would wait in a fountain to give me special powers and a faerie would sneak up on me to drag me down into the underworld. But I've got a bad habit of writing "faerie" because it looks cooler.

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on September 09, 2016, 04:17:18 AMI know it won't be. :P Methinks I'm misinterpreting hype as competitive fire, but either way, I'm pumped!

That's great! I waited until the morning of to finish the application. Not fun times. But you're smarter than I am and you got that competitive fire, so I doubt that would happen.

Quote from: dajwxp on September 09, 2016, 04:19:41 AMYou can't go crazy from too much good vgm right? :p

Not crazy. You probably just went the extra mile and connected the song to a loving father from a video game. So smart!!
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

mikey

nobody considers the possibility that mr toby fox "recycled" this hymn
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Well, he recycled Touhou music, Zun's style and instrumentation, and (a) boss battle(s), so I wouldn't put it beyond him.

MasterProX

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 09, 2016, 09:16:29 AMWell, he recycled Touhou music, Zun's style and instrumentation, and (a) boss battle(s), so I wouldn't put it beyond him.

I don't know what you're all talking about, but now I want to know.

WaluigiTime64

Well, uh... not really... Maybe 1-2 songs had this. The bullet dodging aspect of the gameplay is just part of a general gaming genre (Shoot 'em Up/Danmaku), but Toby Fox did say that he likes the Touhou series, and some things were (obviously) influenced by it, so my opinion is divided on this.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on September 09, 2016, 12:09:29 PMWell, uh... not really... Maybe 1-2 songs had this. The bullet dodging aspect of the gameplay is just part of a general gaming genre (Shoot 'em Up/Danmaku), but Toby Fox did say that he likes the Touhou series, and some things were (obviously) influenced by it, so my opinion is divided on this.
While it is true there's only really 1-2 musical references, the style of some songs, especially Heartache, while not containing any references, sound a heck of a lot like Touhou

Quote from: MasterProX on September 09, 2016, 12:03:30 PMI don't know what you're all talking about, but now I want to know.
Yes, these are actual spoilers
2 Musical References
Final Boss References
Disclaimer: I may have been a little bit strong when stating this, but, in my opinion, it's too strong of a resemblance to be a coincidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnGfdiUcWQ
[close]
[close]

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 09, 2016, 02:50:10 PMWhile it is true there's only really 1-2 musical references, the style of some songs, especially Heartache, while not containing any references, sound a heck of a lot like Touhou
Yeah, I can agree with that. It's natural though, people can get influenced by another composer's style very easily. I myself struggle to compose songs that don't sound like Grant Kirkhope's music.
(Though I will say that Battle Against a True Hero bares more resemblance than Heartache, not because of the soundfont, but also because of the chord progressions in the later section of the song, however that may be characterised regardless as "references")

Pianist Da Sootopolis

In my jazz band class today, we were deciding on music. I asked if my combo-mates wanted to play giant steps, and the following conversation went down.
"Hey, do you guys wanna play Giant Steps?"
"What key is that, again?"
"Yes."
what is shitpost