News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Oronoco

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 29, 2016, 08:54:38 AM
Spoiler
I need some music advice that's basically just throwing my thoughts out there and idk if anyone can give me advice.
I am seriously considering a music minor, despite how badly it goes with a Biochem major, but I fould out a lot about it today, and I'm not so sure, but I'm still kind of torn.
You see, there's some requirements I'm not as much a fan of; I have to take 4 semisters of music leasons, which are, as expected, not cheap by any stretch of the immagiination, take 2 years of music history (while I'd find this intersting, I'd rather take more theory/other stuff), and be in 2 ensambles, which also sucks because they won't have apiano ensamble until next year, and that's not even a certainty, AND, to get into those ensamlbes, I need to audition, and with some piano literature. That would not be a problem, but I havn't doen any piano lit in quite a few years (shame on me, I know).
So, with all those complains, why am I still considering it? Well, it's a music minor, AND I'd need to "test" into each music class I take without being a music major or minor. Yes, you heard that right. Every class. I just had to take a painfully easy one to get into music theory 1.
So, yeah. That's what's been going through my mind.
[close]

I don't know if I've got any advice, but I've felt the same way before. My first semester I was just a Biology major, and I thought "Wow. I really love all my Bio and Chem and Physics classes, but I sure miss the music in my life." So I auditioned and jumped through all the other hoops to pick up a Composition Major.

The workload is horrific, and there's absolutely no overlap between the two majors. But for the past couple of years, I've kind-of felt more balanced. I'm in two ensembles, going through the Theory and Music History courses, and I take private Composition lessons and private primary instrument lessons every semester. I think what ultimately made me decide to do it all was when I imagined myself after college, hopefully in an Ecology job, missing my chance to learn about music while I still could.

I could rant a lot about it because it's basically my life. But I think in the end, it's been worth it. I'd always be happy to talk more about it if you'd like.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 29, 2016, 09:26:45 AM"Ensamble"
I can't slepel, ok

Anyway, nothing's getting done my 2nd semester, because I have 3 lab classes and I'll probably shoot myself for that later.

Oronoco

You could also consider just some private lessons with a professor, even for 30 minutes a week. A lot of music professors feel really happy and proud whenever non-majors are interested in music. And he or she could incorporate theory lessons or other stuff into your studies if you were enthusiastic about it.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

BlackDragonSlayer

Thinking about going into an Applied Mathematics minor, but the first required class that fits my schedule is closed... would likely have to start this semester because that class is a substitute for another class in my major (that I'm taking this semester).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Maelstrom

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 29, 2016, 10:25:54 AMThinking about going into an Applied Mathematics minor, but the first required class that fits my schedule is closed... would likely have to start this semester because that class is a substitute for another class in my major (that I'm taking this semester).
If you talk enough with the right people and have the right connections, sometimes you can still get in. Keep at it until you're told there is no possible way you could get in, I guess

Nitro Indigo

The problem with asking people for ideas is that I end up saying that I don't like their choices. No offence, Maelstrom, this happens with a lot of people. (On an unrelated note, there's a ride at Drayton Manor called Maelstrom.)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 29, 2016, 10:53:20 AMIf you talk enough with the right people and have the right connections, sometimes you can still get in. Keep at it until you're told there is no possible way you could get in, I guess
There were two people who didn't show up to the class so the professor ended up approving my request; all the teachers here are so friendly and helpful!

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 29, 2016, 08:54:38 AMI need some music advice that's basically just throwing my thoughts out there and idk if anyone can give me advice.
I am seriously considering a music minor, despite how badly it goes with a Biochem major, but I fould out a lot about it today, and I'm not so sure, but I'm still kind of torn.
You see, there's some requirements I'm not as much a fan of; I have to take 4 semisters of music leasons, which are, as expected, not cheap by any stretch of the immagiination, take 2 years of music history (while I'd find this intersting, I'd rather take more theory/other stuff), and be in 2 ensambles, which also sucks because they won't have apiano ensamble until next year, and that's not even a certainty, AND, to get into those ensamlbes, I need to audition, and with some piano literature. That would not be a problem, but I havn't doen any piano lit in quite a few years (shame on me, I know).
So, with all those complains, why am I still considering it? Well, it's a music minor, AND I'd need to "test" into each music class I take without being a music major or minor. Yes, you heard that right. Every class. I just had to take a painfully easy one to get into music theory 1.
So, yeah. That's what's been going through my mind.
For the ensembles, could you get into a quintet/other chamber music related ensemble? If it's a classical studies minor that you're pursuing, chamber music might be the way to go. It's really fun to play with other musicians and almost all of them have a piano/harpsichord accompaniment (depending on time period ofc).
If you're playing jazz or some other style, almost all of them have pianos too. The great thing about our instrument is that we can play in damn near anything and sound great.
what is shitpost

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

BlackDragonSlayer

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Nitro Indigo

I sent my review of The Last Wild to the author on Goodreads the other day. He still hasn't responded.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Sir Dino

I'm breaking my LoZ virginity tonight, I just bought Ocarina of Time 3D.
there was also this really sweet cute employee at gamestop, nice 10/10