News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daj

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 25, 2016, 09:20:35 PMYup, I did that, I was just unsure of the step where you divide something by infinity, since I didn't think it was proper. We didn't go over this in class, either, since we're squeezing a course that usually takes an entire school year into 5 weeks.

Erm, tiny little bit of input from my end to this, if you don't mind ^^

The way I was taught it, you shouldn't really need to divide by infinity in your workings, because as you said, it's conceptually incorrect. Kinda. Lots of weird math-y stuff that I don't get either.

But the idea of bringing a point charge to "infinity" actually is derived from the definition of "electric potential energy"; as I recall, it's defined as the "work done to bring a positive test charge from infinity to that point". "Infinity" exists as a point in space where there is no influence from electric fields, and thus potential energy is zero.

It's one of those "wtf" concepts haha, maybe I can draw a graph and send it to you in a pm if you don't get it, it's kinda hard to explain in words ^^;

But anyway to answer your question, the work done to bring a charge from a point to infinity is simply the negative value of the potential energy at that point. Based on the definition of electric potential energy :)

Hope this helps!

p.s. as an aside i illustrated this using electric potential, but gravity is pretty similar. so same things apply.

WaluigiTime64

I can accept it when they're all looking at a topic or board, but now this is just ridiculous.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Tobbeh99

Most calm day at work, so far. Really chill. :)

I usually have to work pretty quickly and fill up to like 7-8 bags, today it was only 3-4 bags! lol.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Sebastian

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 26, 2016, 01:40:33 PM
Spoiler
[close]

I can accept it when they're all looking at a topic or board, but now this is just ridiculous.
I'm wondering if they're all the same IP. Maybe it's a glitch.

InsigTurtle

Quote from: dajwxp on July 26, 2016, 06:15:48 AMErm, tiny little bit of input from my end to this, if you don't mind ^^
Yeah, I remembered how it was all measured relative to infinity, and how you're technically supposed to say that E approaches 0 as r approaches infinity. But I was pressed for time, so I just scribbled down the 1/infinity and I hoped my teacher wouldn't notice.

Honestly, I think the electromagnetism and special relativity units are more difficult compared to the previous chapters we did that were on classical mechanics, since I've never learned this before. That, and the time constraint we have, are making it pretty stressful, honestly.

Zunawe

Electricity and magnetism are the most fun physics I've taken. Quantum mechanics was by far the coolest though.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

mikey

I'm going to type
in haikus for a while
it seems like fun... yo
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Hey! That's my shtick bub!
You had better be prepared,
For a haiku-off!
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

unmotivated

FireArrow

Wait I'm confused. Are sheilds copywrited by the LDS church or is there more going on?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

EFitTrainr

I really don't know
And I really do not care.
It's snowing on Mt. Fuji.
I like food.

Nitro Indigo

On a completely unrelated note, according to TV Tropes, The Legendary Starfy on DS killed the franchise because it sold poorly because it averted American Kirby is Hardcore. Last night, I realized that Klonoa: Door to Phantomile on Wii also killed its franchise, and also averted American Kirby is Hardcore (unlike every other Klonoa game released in North America...) - the boxart is exactly the same in every region save for the saturation of the colours. Oh dear.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nitro Indigo

I had to look that up. (I know what it's a reference to, by the way.)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.