The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashwarrior1

I saw X-Men Apocalypse today! The popcorn movie was pretty good, it seemed kinda dumb in several sections, but the end was definitely the best part.

E. Gadd Industries

Well, my little sister is wanting me to teach her how to read sheet music. Should I? Or should I recommend a teacher?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

braix

You don't need a professional teacher to learn to read sheet music. Just teach her yourself if you want
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

mikey

tell her you will in exchange for occasional favors, but nothing too bad
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

She'll learn much more effectively with a professional teacher.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 03, 2016, 08:25:40 AMShe'll learn much more effectively with a professional teacher.
This.
You don't want her to pick up bad habits and not notice them until they need to be unlearned, not to mention that they've had a lot more experience teaching beginners of all different learning styles.

mikey

but all she only asked to learn to read sheet music, so all he really needs to do is tell her about the 12 keys and then accidentals and he'll pretty much be done
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

This guide is useful.

On an unrelated note, I just started playing Starfox Adventures today, and I read on TV Tropes that it's the first ESRB T Starfox game, yet it's rated 3+ by ELSPA...? (The age rating system in Europe before PEGI arrived.)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

braix

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 03, 2016, 08:30:52 AMbut all she only asked to learn to read sheet music, so all he really needs to do is tell her about the 12 keys and then accidentals and he'll pretty much be done
^This

If she wants to learn how to play piano or something, get a teacher. If she just wants to read sheet music don't bother finding a teacher
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

E. Gadd Industries

Since I'm entirely self-taught (except for the extreme basics), I'll just teacher her sheet music, and if it starts shifting to piano, I'll recommend a teacher or something.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Pianist Da Sootopolis

If you're self taught, it's never a bad idea to go to a teacher, funds permitting.
When you self teach, you ingrain certain playing habits which are rarely beneficial. The teacher points these out, and also will have you ingrain good playing habits.
As far as learning to read is concerned, so long as you have a good idea of what you're doing she should be fine. Learning to read effectively, however (ie sightreading at a moderate tempo), will be another matter.
what is shitpost

Jamaha

I should probably find a piano teacher again at some point.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 03, 2016, 08:30:52 AMbut all she only asked to learn to read sheet music, so all he really needs to do is tell her about the 12 keys and then accidentals and he'll pretty much be done

Quote from: braixen1264 on June 03, 2016, 09:24:26 AM^This

If she wants to learn how to play piano or something, get a teacher. If she just wants to read sheet music don't bother finding a teacher

Nah son at least a year or two with a professional teacher would be way more beneficial, trust me on this one. You cant get an effective understanding of music without a teacher. Even if you can play what's in front of you after a while, your technique and understanding beyond the notes will be lacking. To reiterate, the notes are not the most important part of reading music. Wrong notes do not matter so much if you have a good grasp of the rhythms, dynamics, expressions, and articulations, something I feel is impossible to really get without a professional teacher and though I thought I understood all of those concepts, I didn't REALLY get them until I came to college and worked with a professional. But that's just my two cents.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 03, 2016, 11:17:20 AMNah son at least a year or two with a professional teacher would be way more beneficial, trust me on this one. You cant get an effective understanding of music without a teacher. Even if you can play what's in front of you after a while, your technique and understanding beyond the notes will be lacking. To reiterate, the notes are not the most important part of reading music. Wrong notes do not matter so much if you have a good grasp of the rhythms, dynamics, expressions, and articulations, something I feel is impossible to really get without a professional teacher and though I thought I understood all of those concepts, I didn't REALLY get them until I came to college and worked with a professional. But that's just my two cents.
While I agree with you wholeheartedly on the substance, I don't think his sister was trying to become a musician, so much as just get a very basic feel of the keyboard and how to play. If she goes any further, I'm 100% with you though.
what is shitpost

Bespinben

*raises hand to the contrary*
*raises Maestros hand as well*

Granted, neither of us self-identify as pianists (or instrumentalists of any sort), cementing my belief that the ability to perform is not requisite for mastering other facets of music. Ironically, most composition and performance majors I know don't know how to engrave sheet music to the standard I expect of my own engravings (despite my being entirely self-taught in the practice).
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday