The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsigTurtle

...I was thinking for going for a double major in cs and either pharm or biochem with a minor in music, but that seems to be quite an intense course load. I don't really know if I have any other programs to go into, since even though I'm interested in asian linguistics, it's quite useless. And the engineering here is quite competitive...

Aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît.

Zunawe

I know everybody says "follow your dreams" and all that—and that's not wrong by any means—but you also need to honestly tell yourself that your goals are achievable. A CS Pharmaceuticals double major plus a music minor is a lot of work. I'm sure it's possible, but it takes more time and/or focus than almost anybody in the world has. In short, I'll give this advice:
  • Find three things you love to do or learn about. If there isn't an overwhelmingly obvious choice between those three for what you want to make a living doing, pick the one that makes money.
  • You can always specialize your classes or clubs toward things you're interested in; you don't have to declare that you're studying them. I jump all over the place: I'm a CS major with an Applied Math minor, but almost all my science requirements went into the physics department, I'm still involved in the college of music, and most of my humanities credits come from learning Italian.

I might get some flak for that first one, but it's not like money isn't something to consider. If you can make a comfortable living off art criticism, go for it. But in my opinion, supporting yourself comes first, and interests can be hobbies later. You should enjoy college. But you should also come out of it with something you are prepared and able to use.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Oronoco

Great advice. No flak from me.

When I tell people I'm an Ecology and Music Composition Double Major, they ALWAYS give me confused looks and say "What are you hoping to do?"

First I tell them how I hope to, one day, teach trees how to sing.

Then I tell them in all seriousness how I hope to be a Botanist. They ask me why I do the music, then. I tell them that I love it. I don't want to make a living from my music, but college is my opportunity to get the music education that I crave. Music will always be a part of my life even though I won't make my living from it.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

deku_link

Most work I've ever put into an airhorn remix tbh.
I'm an eldritch abomination darn it! I can lurk around whatever websites I want!

Sebastian

deku_link

I'm an eldritch abomination darn it! I can lurk around whatever websites I want!

InsigTurtle

Ah, I really did desperately want to take music in university, though. I looked through the required courses for music, and the first year courses are all things that I've already learned, so I'm thinking it might be possible? In any case, I think music is probably the weakest option in terms of monetary gain, while pharm and comp sci are higher up.
Ugh, it's hard to decide on an interest area since I have so many of them, and not enough time to focus on all of them.
I might say fuck it to the SAT and stay in Canada for university, just to reduce spending. Right now, everything is just becoming a confusing mess of having to deal with my future, and that's honestly a bit frightening.

BlackDragonSlayer

I just made a PowerPoint presentation about cashew prices.

What am I doing with my life.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

A waiter that is probably around my age just called my 50-something year old mom, "Hun".

We can't stop laughing.

Zunawe

Quote from: InsigTurtle on March 03, 2016, 10:58:44 PMMany words.
CS major + music minor is totally doable and applicable. Who do you think programmed Finale? I just wouldn't recommend a second unrelated major on top of that.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

InsigTurtle

Thanks for the help. I was originally thinking of pharm and comp sci at first since comp sci is pretty useful and pharm because if I'm going die young, I might as well try to help other people not die young. I might go for that and keep music as a hobby, then.

AwesomeYears

Dude

For some reason, I've been getting a lot of love live leg blogs in my recommendations on tumblr and I have no idea why...

cashwarrior1

I'm thinking about how when I grow up I'm going to go bankrupt because I'm going to keep buying snacks and eating all of them the first day I get them and then I won't have a job and I won't have money to do anything and the fact that I have to rent an apartment to go to college which is like 22 hours away from where I live and then after college I'm going to come back home and think to myself, "Where the heck am I going to live?". Then I'm going to be stuck at my parent's house for 2 years until I finally find out where I want to live just to find out that I need money to buy a house, and you know what will happen to my money? Look above and read it again.

SlowPokemon

Hey so the NSM group chat won't let my messages go through for some reason, so I removed myself from the group. It's the "surreptitiously official" whatever one, could someone add me back in so I can try sending a message again? I'm mostly pissed that an ace attorney debate is happening and I can't weigh in
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.