The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrainyLucario

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 26, 2016, 10:06:46 PMIt's a nationwide event hosted by WorldVision to raise awareness for world hunger. We raise money before the event, though, so it actually does something. It isn't a COMPLETE fast, though. I can drink juice and water, along with chew gum. However, I got gum in my top retainer, and it's all messy and junk, and that's the stupidest mistake I've made all night... D:
Sounds like your having a Bad Time. and no, that was not an undertale reference
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Oronoco

That's all you get? You can chew gum, but you can't much on some cheese or something?

I would be chugging orange juice like there's no tomorrow
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

E. Gadd Industries

A. The dairy would wreck your guts.
B. The citric acid concentration of the OJ would be too much for an empty stomach to process.
C. That's all we get.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Ruto

Quote from: deku_link on February 26, 2016, 05:54:30 PMThat sure is a nice ad hominem you got there.

Thank you.

QuoteAlso, what does linking to stories about men shooting their penises off have anything to do with the topic at hand?

It shows the amount of judgment the average gun nut has. Such as how a lot of them has no business of owning one and were punished.

And as for gun crime in Louisiana, that doesn't have anything to do with, say, gangs in louisiana?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_crime_family
[/quote]

Where's the evidence that that one group is responsible for a majority of the gun violence? Notice the article is marked as one of those that need CITATIONS and cleanup. I know you like to blame gangs, but while you're at it, why not look up the Yakuza and see whether they have much to do with the murder rate in Japan?

@BDS

QuoteI should hope you wouldn't use Gawker in a serious debate; to be fair, I'm wondering just how serious you are, given that your speech and general attitude seems to indicate that you think that you might as well be arguing with two talking potatoes.

It was reporting an event covered by another local news network, with a citation. But what's new here, just another kid who thinks he's so smart. Believe me, there are dozens of kids like you, and they're the worst of all because they don't think they need to learn or review evidence. You're being faced with an opposing view and evidence, then you just call people potatoes and "not serious" because they won't agree with you and your own evidence is flawed.

Lol are you seriously trying to imply that because Honduras has a higher murder rate, the US doesn't have a problem? Don't you notice a difference between the two countries at all?

QuoteIn terms of total gun murders, California had the highest at 1,257 in 2010 (with less than half of gun ownership rates!), whereas Alaska had 19 (even disregarding total number of murders). As of 2007, Wyoming had a higher gun ownership rate than Alaska, yet both murder and gun murder rates were much lower.

What does "adjusted for population" mean? Population density should probably be considered too. Outliers also exist, but there is still an overall trend, which you just refuse to see. Oh, and there's the DC/Chicago examples that gun nuts love to use.

Having guns around makes it easier for the suicidal person to kill himself/herself.

Sorry guys, unless you leave your backyards and unfortunate google skills, you're not going to learn anything. Nothing else matters as long as you're comfortable, that's the mentality here.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Dudeman

Would just like to point out that calling people "kids" because you think their reasoning is flawed is not a very mature way of going about making your own point.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

FireArrow

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on February 27, 2016, 10:57:01 AMA. The dairy would wreck your guts
B. The citric acid concentration of the OJ would be too much for an empty stomach to process.

You can eat dairy and orange juice on an empty stomach. I guess diary can make some people bloat though?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

Quote from: FireArrow on February 27, 2016, 03:19:37 PMYou can eat dairy and orange juice on an empty stomach. I guess diary can make some people bloat though?
I drink Orange Juice all the time on an empty stomach. Most notably when I get up in the morning. Doesn't bother me. It can bother some people though.
I heard it's good to drink water on an empty stomach.

BrainyLucario

Quote from: FireArrow on February 27, 2016, 03:19:37 PMI guess diary can make some people bloat though?
I know this is just a typo, but it's still hilarious.
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on February 27, 2016, 03:06:27 PMIt shows the amount of judgment the average gun nut has. Such as how a lot of them has no business of owning one and were punished.
I'm pretty sure that type of person would find another way to injure themselves; it's the whole idea behind the Darwin Awards! :P

Quote@BDS

It was reporting an event covered by another local news network, with a citation. But what's new here, just another kid who thinks he's so smart. Believe me, there are dozens of kids like you, and they're the worst of all because they don't think they need to learn or review evidence.
I wasn't referring to that specific article- it's just that Gawker and its associated websites tend to be clickbait-y and rife with poor journalism; not to mention that it's somewhat of an unsavory organization in general (though it would, of course, be unfair to say that about every single thing on the website). Also, since when have I not been reviewing evidence? That's literally what I've been doing this whole time.

QuoteYou're being faced with an opposing view and evidence then you just call people potatoes and "not serious" because they won't agree with you and your own evidence is flawed.
I never called anyone a potato. I was suggesting that you considered deku_link and I to be unintelligent simply because you couldn't comprehend that we don't immediately support your viewpoint. Given how you continue to digress to such attacks (and it seems like you're quick to resort to that even if it means compromising your reading comprehension), I don't think I'm unreasonable to make that conclusion.

QuoteLol are you seriously trying to imply that because Honduras has a higher murder rate, the US doesn't have a problem? Don't you notice a difference between the two countries at all?
I don't think I was ever implying that.

QuoteWhat does "adjusted for population" mean? Population density should probably be considered too. Outliers also exist, but there is still an overall trend, which you just refuse to see. Oh, and there's the DC/Chicago examples that gun nuts love to use.
1: I wanted to take into account both straightforward numbers and the other rates provided, since neither alone gives the whole picture (and even together, some might argue).
2: I try to avoid oversimplification and looking for false cause, hence why my main point is that this situation is nowhere near as simple or straightforward as you have been presenting it as.
3: You seem to be trying to indirectly classifying me as a gun nut.

QuoteHaving guns around makes it easier for the suicidal person to kill himself/herself.
But not having guns doesn't make the suicidal person any less suicidal.

QuoteSorry guys, unless you leave your backyards and unfortunate google skills, you're not going to learn anything. Nothing else matters as long as you're comfortable, that's the mentality here.
If you want to be patronizing, I see no reason to continue this discussion.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

FireArrow

FireArrow

Quote from: deku_link on February 27, 2016, 08:06:46 AMHong Kong and Japan are also heavily in support of the death penalty and both are heavily against violent crime as a culture. Keep in mind Japan still has a massive mafia.

Gangs in Japan =/= gangs in America. Yes, they're against violent crime. So are the majority of Americans. The issue is when someone who isn't against violent crime gets a hold of a gun, which said countries do a good job of preventing and we don't.

Seriously dude: restricting guns = reduced ownership among dangerous people = less gun violence. Will guns no longer be in the hand of dangerous people? No. Is it the perfect solution? No, and there probably isn't a perfect solution. Does that mean we should sit around and do nothing? Hell no.

Reduced gun violence =/= no gun violence. Reduced gun violence is still a good thing. I'm running out of ways to say this which is why I'm not particularly interested in this discussion anymore.

mikey

1 why is everyone still debating when it's clear nobody will change their minds
2 why the heck is ruto being so condescending
3 I found a stray cat around some dumpsters today and I'm gonna try to catch it
4 my grandpa thinks I'm addicted so I'm grounded like forever I guess peace out
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 27, 2016, 05:17:10 PM1 why is everyone still debating when it's clear nobody will change their minds

I'm willing to change mine. A friend of mine almost got me to be pro-gun until I researched what he said. It was the same thing about Australia so I was like, oh hey, if other countries banning guns doesn't help then why should it help us. Then I went home and googled and thought, oh, it does help in pretty much every other case and that's just a singular piece of out of context statistics.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Quote2 why the heck is ruto being so condescending

Because she has little patience.

Quote3 I found a stray cat around some dumpsters today and I'm gonna try to catch it
4 my grandpa thinks I'm addicted so I'm grounded like forever I guess peace out

You're addicted to catching cats?

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Sebastian on February 27, 2016, 03:26:21 PMI drink Orange Juice all the time on an empty stomach. Most notably when I get up in the morning. Doesn't bother me. It can bother some people though.
I heard it's good to drink water on an empty stomach.
Idk then. We were just told no acidic juice. But it's over now! :D
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

I like condescending Ruto, she reminds me of the stickers I got on LINE