News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 06:53:18 PMI think a guy should treat a woman with more respect than he does to other guys-  women are important people.
or, y'know, just try to respect everyone equally

Quotehonestly guys I'm talking about the word feminism
like it's got feminine right in it regardless of what your lmgtfy link says.  Sheesh.
I genuinely don't know what you're not understanding about this.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dude

mikey

why call it feminism... if it has nothing to do with femininity
unmotivated

Dude

why are you so worked up about a stupid name?

call it whatever you feel necessary

mikey

equal rights I guess
they should call it that
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 06:53:18 PM1) I'm totally for women in the same job/political/etc. positions as men and that they should have equal opportunities as far as the state goes.  When talking about social norms though, I think a guy should treat a woman with more respect than he does to other guys-  women are important people.
What makes them any more important than men? The idea of feminism is that both sexes are equal to each other.
Quote3) That's a given, but you guys make it sound like they don't want to be treated as superior either.
They don't, and they won't be. Because again, the idea is that the sexes are equal.
Quote4) traditional, yeah, dated, yeah,
Then perhaps drop it?
Quoteoffensive, doubt it,
You don't think that's offensive? An idea being offensive doesn't mean it's bad or incorrect in and of itself, but you're simply wrong if you don't think people are offended by a, in your own words, "Traditional, dated" outlook.

Quotenarrow-minded, most likely
See my earlier statement.
Quote from: PDSThen perhaps drop it?
Quotesexist, eh, if racism is giving all black people 100k then racism is a pretty good thing
Wooooah that's a red herring if I ever saw one. Nobody was talking about race, and nobody was talking about 100k. You seem to have this made up idea that Feminism=kneeling at the ankles of every woman on the planet, when that simply is not the case. Feminism is the idea that both sexes are equal; it's titled feminism because it came out of a male dominated society in which women for a long time were considered property.
Quotehonestly guys I'm talking about the word feminism
like it's got feminine right in it regardless of what your lmgtfy link says.  Sheesh.
We know. You just don't seem to know what the word in its 21st usage means.
Again, I give you...
"the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men."
what is shitpost

Altissimo

[snip]

MaestroUGC

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 06:53:18 PM4) traditional, yeah, dated, yeah, offensive, doubt it, narrow-minded, most likely, sexist, eh, if racism is giving all black people 100k then racism is a pretty good thing.

This is not acceptable in any context. You're on thin ice, Nocturne, because at this point it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to say offensive and otherwise inflammatory things.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

MaestroUGC

Also: While I appreciate how you guys would like to discuss this, please do so privately from this point on.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 19, 2016, 07:09:58 PMAlso: While I appreciate how you guys would like to discuss this, please do so privately from this point on.
Quote from:  Forum RulesCalm debates on politics, religion etc will be tolerated
It's still fairly calm by NSM standards. It hasn't degenerated into a shitfest yet.
what is shitpost

Nebbles

Keeping it private will prevent that from happening.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Pianist Da Sootopolis

So long as it remains, at a minimum, this level of civility, it need not be moved.
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 19, 2016, 07:14:51 PMIt's still fairly calm by NSM standards. It hasn't degenerated into a shitfest yet.

It stopped being calm when:

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 19, 2016, 06:53:18 PM4) traditional, yeah, dated, yeah, offensive, doubt it, narrow-minded, most likely, sexist, eh, if racism is giving all black people 100k then racism is a pretty good thing

So, again: You can continue this privately.

braix

Make your own group chat if you wish to continue the discussion. You say it need not be moved as long as it remains 'civil', but these debates can get sour very quickly and be misinterpretted left and right. Best keep the discussions here as close to calm as possible by taking the risky stuf out.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Then perhaps we could change the forum rules to more appropriately reflect mod action?
A mod's discretion is one thing; avoiding any and all topics when they start to be controversial is another entirely and as such should be reflected more accurately in the forum rules.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 19, 2016, 07:21:07 PMSo, again: You can continue this privately.
Push the entire community elsewhere when it was one person? Especially when it wasn't extremely inflammatory in the first place? It was hardly "the life of the wife is ended by the knife" (Stewie Griffin's words, not mine). It was still stupid, but that's why people have these debates in the first place.
what is shitpost