News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: Yug_Guy on January 12, 2016, 07:19:25 PM
Totally legit mind-blowing Star Wars theory
J.J. Abrams was the director the whole time
[close]
can't be, I definitely felt a distinction
Quote from: Bespinben on January 12, 2016, 07:18:07 PMStill, I can't help but wonder if some of these reactions are "conditioned responses" as a result of childhood piano lessons (i.e. sticking different colored stickers on the keys as a memorization aid).
I came from the womb knowing the letter names.  No color aids for me, no sir
unmotivated

Altissimo

Quote from: Bespinben on January 12, 2016, 07:18:07 PMStill, I can't help but wonder if some of these reactions are "conditioned responses" as a result of childhood piano lessons (i.e. sticking different colored stickers on each of the piano keys as a memorization aid).
Can't speak for anyone else, but it's not true for me at least - we never used color aids in music in my learning.

Bespinben

NSM 1:15 ~ For Noc shall be great in the sight of Jamaha... he shall be filled with the holy Theory, even from his mother's womb.

Quote from: Altissimo on January 12, 2016, 07:26:35 PMCan't speak for anyone else, but it's not true for me at least - we never used color aids in music in my learning.
Interesting! I'm truly curious what leads to this phenomenon, especially seeing that it's quite prevalent (much more so than I initially thought). Apparently more is at play than synesthesia or psychological conditioning.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Altissimo

I will say I don't have synesthesia, it's just that I get a significant color or "feel" sense from some keys (like D and A-flat major) specifically.

MaestroUGC

While I do agree that certain keys tend to convey certain moods better, odds are good it has more due to historical preference and association with those works. For example, D Major has an interesting correlation with celebratory, religious, and triumphant music (Hallelujah Chorus, the final resolution of Beethoven's 9th, Shostakovich's 5th) and that tends to carry itself down through musical history.

There's also particular associations of key's with composers, like Beethoven and C minor, though that example is actually less prevalent than you might believe; but his use of C minor is singular to him alone as a key of stormy struggle leading to emphatic joy.

I've never really given it great thought when writing music, but I do find myself associating keys with their historical uses; such has using F major for more pastoral settings, etc.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Bubbles

I don't know keys well enough to associate colors but I believe you guys!! I do a similar thing with moods/room atmospheres. Sometimes it just seems impossible to describe the energy in the room I'm in besides attributing a color to it

mikey

I just imagined you walking into a room, looking around, and saying, "Huh.  This room feels blue."
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on January 12, 2016, 07:30:26 PMNSM 1:15 ~ For Noc shall be great in the sight of Jamaha... he shall be filled with the holy Theory, even from his mother's womb.
Dying xD

Bubbles

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 12, 2016, 08:01:37 PMI just imagined you walking into a room, looking around, and saying, "Huh.  This room feels blue."
My friends said literally the same thing 😩 it's real I swear

JDMEK5

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 12, 2016, 07:54:58 PMWhile I do agree that certain keys tend to convey certain moods better, odds are good it has more due to historical preference and association with those works. For example, D Major has an interesting correlation with celebratory, religious, and triumphant music (Hallelujah Chorus, the final resolution of Beethoven's 9th, Shostakovich's 5th) and that tends to carry itself down through musical history.

There's also particular associations of key's with composers, like Beethoven and C minor, though that example is actually less prevalent than you might believe; but his use of C minor is singular to him alone as a key of stormy struggle leading to emphatic joy.
And Eb historically is used for like virtually every choral piece ever.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Olimar12345

It's an easier key to sing in, given where the scale resides in comparison to common vocal registers.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Oronoco

Quote from: Bespinben on January 12, 2016, 07:30:26 PMInteresting! I'm truly curious what leads to this phenomenon, especially seeing that it's quite prevalent (much more so than I initially thought). Apparently more is at play than synesthesia or psychological conditioning.

I'd sure like to know, too. I have never associated keys with colors, but other members of my family say they most definitely do. At this point, it'd be impossible for all the pieces I've heard and analyzed NOT to influence my associations. But, I still believe my siblings and the color-hearing folk here.
Quote from: Yellow on October 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM
...Really though. Don't let them take it away from you. That desire for something more, for adventure... for destiny. Don't let them turn it against you, either.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Altissimo on January 12, 2016, 07:26:35 PMCan't speak for anyone else, but it's not true for me at least - we never used color aids in music in my learning.

Same here. And honestly it's not like I have a specific COLOR for every key, sometimes it's more of a mood. Like, for instance you can't hear something in D-flat Major and not think "warm," right? Or, conversely, C-sharp minor literally feels "sharp" to me, like something getting cut open and bleeding. I might be alone on these assessments lmao but w/e
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

InsigTurtle

I don't have synesthesia, so I'm wondering, do those who do see different colours with stuff like different modes and non-traditional western scales? What does a B major pentatonic invoke? What about an octatonic scale on G, starting with a whole step? Or an in/miyako-bushi scale starting on D? Going even further, what colour do atonal pieces invoke?

Anyway, that reminds me of something. The way how different keys are associated with different moods or settings. I was watching a stream a while ago, and the streamer started wondering why some instruments were associated with different moods or settings, such as steel drums and beaches, sitars and deserts, organs and churches, etc. Is there something inherently holy about the sound of an organ? Or is it just because of the associations that we develop as we are exposed to different media? Some of the connections, like "koto = Japan" and "steel drum = beach" make sense because of where the instruments were created, but stuff like "pizzicato strings, sleigh bells = winter" aren't as obvious. You could apply this question to modes, too.

... I'm not going to spend time checking if what I wrote made sense.

mikey

I see a very dark color for dorian
you know that gross color you get by mixing them all together?  It's that, but not gross
unmotivated