change da world
my final message. Goodb ye

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 29, 2015, 09:30:58 AM[snip]

yeah you've got a point. But I also don't think this is solved by just shoving it under the rug and pretending it didn't happen, that just makes it more awkward when things like this get brought up again. Again, maybe a generalized Adult Content thread is in order? That way people who are uncomfortable with that talk know to stay out.

ThatGamer

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 09:38:51 AMyeah you've got a point. But I also don't think this is solved by just shoving it under the rug and pretending it didn't happen, that just makes it more awkward when things like this get brought up again. Again, maybe a generalized Adult Content thread is in order? That way people who are uncomfortable with that talk know to stay out.

Hey, I think that's a good idea. Are we just allowing adults in it, or people who can handle adult stuff like me?
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

MaestroUGC

The rant thread is locked until the staff can get it restructured to allow for people to still have their venting space and keep it on focus without it devolving into a shit-storm when someone brings up some unpleasant realities of life. It's not that you can't talk about certain things out in the open, but if most people would prefer you do it privately then do so. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to protection from the reaction of talking about disturbing things in a open space without backlash of some kind. Sure, you can talk about things like underage pregnancy all you want, but if 3/4ths of the community don't want to hear it, you'll have to suck it up and take it somewhere else.

None of the discussions held were ban-able, let me be clear, but if most of the members say to take the discussion somewhere else, I advise you to do so. If any of the NSM staff, moderators, or administrators tell you to take it somewhere else, especially if they tell you to take it to a private chat (this does not include Tinychat, as that is considered an official extension of the forums and a public space), this is not a request and serves as a warning for a ban.

Needless to say the rules are going to need to be adjusted to reflect the changes that need to be made, as well as some other things that we hope can make forum integration easier for newer members.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

I really advise everyone to take it easy and not cause any problems until the staff comes up with their solution for what's been going on the last couple days.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Altissimo

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 29, 2015, 09:40:38 AMHey, I think that's a good idea. Are we just allowing adults in it, or people who can handle adult stuff like me?

Obviously I'm not the one that'd be responsible for such a thread, but I say operate on a basis of "everyone is allowed in until/unless they prove that they are not fit to be posting in the thread", and how that is judged is by reactions of other members to the material they're posting and the manner in which they're posting.

Anyway, now that I've gotten some answers, I'mma stop spamming up this thread with my questions. Gotta go shopping anyway.

ThatGamer

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 29, 2015, 09:41:11 AMThe rant thread is locked until the staff can get it restructured to allow for people to still have their venting space and keep it on focus without it devolving into a shit-storm when someone brings up some unpleasant realities of life. It's not that you can't talk about certain things out in the open, but if most people would prefer you do it privately then do so. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to protection from the reaction of talking about disturbing things in a open space without backlash of some kind. Sure, you can talk about things like underage pregnancy all you want, but if 3/4ths of the community don't want to hear it, you'll have to suck it up and take it somewhere else.

None of the discussions held were ban-able, let me be clear, but if most of the members say to take the discussion somewhere else, I advise you to do so. If any of the NSM staff, moderators, or administrators tell you to take it somewhere else, especially if they tell you to take it to a private chat (this does not include Tinychat, as that is considered an official extension of the forums and a public space), this is not a request and serves as a warning for a ban.

Needless to say the rules are going to need to be adjusted to reflect the changes that need to be made, as well as some other things that we hope can make forum integration easier for newer members.

So, we cannot talk of underage pregnancy on chat? Okay, got it.
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

mayastarr041

And if I may, I would like to shift the conversation:

Wow, I really respect monuments now. In Paris, I thoughy monuments were boring and a waste of time, but I can see the beauty within. I never liked museums, but this place has many things to show, to offer. I think I developed a new beauty, a new era, and it shifted my views on most monuments like the statue of liberty or the parthenon.
Lifes wonders.
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Maelstrom

Imo, KNight and Yugi left, partially because of the generally toxic community, but also because there was just too much going on.
Maestro said it right: Most of the users here (pre-king sammer) are used to a community that focuses on sheet music and uses the general discussion on occasion. I would rarely find that more than a page had been added to any of the main 3 off topic topics in a 12 hour span. Most new users joined for only a few days and a handful of posts. It was kind of relaxing. On occasion, there would be some drama, but it was mostly just a friendly community that united under the common interests of video games and music.
But that has changed.
With the new submissions system, people can submit whatever they want without having an arrangements thread for feedback.
New members have been popping up left and right, some more reasonable than others.
But the biggest change is this: the sheer increase in posting. People are treating this like an online chatroom, when it isn't. This is a forum. Not an irc. You don't need to reply to each and every post unless you feel that you can add something to the conversation. You don't need to post even if you feel you can add something. You do, however, need to think about what you post. Don't try to post just to get more attention and sympathy from people. Don't post just so people recognize you. It feels like to many posts have open hostility behind them instead friendliness and camaraderie. It's just hard to accept new people when they feel like they constantly need to speak their mind instead of listen and try to think for themselves first.

edit: ninja'd 8 times why
edit: again why

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 29, 2015, 09:48:25 AMAnd if I may, I would like to shift the conversation:

Wow, I really respect monuments now. In Paris, I thoughy monuments were boring and a waste of time, but I can see the beauty within. I never liked museums, but this place has many things to show, to offer. I think I developed a new beauty, a new era, and it shifted my views on most monuments like the statue of liberty or the parthenon.
Lifes wonders.

What did you visit? Eiffel Tower? The Louvre?

SlowPokemon

tl;dr: this isn't 4chan. we're kind of a "small town" forum and we don't react well to hyperactivity.

mayastarr041

Quote from: ThatGamer on August 29, 2015, 09:50:51 AMWhat did you visit? Eiffel Tower? The Louvre?
Both, they are quite beautiful. I never really wanted to visit, but meh
Hero of Trains is the BEST! Love you girl!

Altissimo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 29, 2015, 09:51:00 AMtl;dr: this isn't 4chan. we're kind of a "small town" forum and we don't react well to hyperactivity.

amen

and yes I know I've been posting a lot in this thread, especially today, but with today I feel like I'm trying to get some answers and I'm prolly gonna bag out of the whole off-topic board entirely after this unless I'm specifically addressed

ThatGamer

Quote from: mayastarr041 on August 29, 2015, 09:52:08 AMBoth, they are quite beautiful. I never really wanted to visit, but meh

OH WOW! You got to visit the Eiffel tower AND the Louvre? Very lucky! I only ever visited one monument in person, the Seattle Space Needle! I would love to visit Paris sometime...

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 09:52:26 AMamen

and yes I know I've been posting a lot in this thread, especially today, but with today I feel like I'm trying to get some answers and I'm prolly gonna bag out of the whole off-topic board entirely after this unless I'm specifically addressed

No this sort of thing is fine. It's the useless activity/one on one conversations that don't involve any real topic that feel like they belong in a chat room.

braix

I would consider myself relatively new, but I could definitely see the change from "relaxed arrangement focused small community" to "too many members too many posts wtf this isnt nsm"
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.