News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Honestly, I didn't have the guts to say it till now.

mikey

unmotivated

Ruto

FireArrow is right. While I've came to my own conclusions about how good the fundie education materials are, the best way to tell is how you stack up to other students by going to college.

BDS, check the site, there are tons of links, including some AMAs from reddit users about their experience with the education. People tend to be honest in those things (anonymity) and it's also unlikely that tons of people would all troll fabricate similar stories that matched. I don't own the books (they would be in the recycle bin), but since the author hasn't been outed as a liar with actual proof from any of the readers, I'm going to assume the author's done the homework.

1) Check the accuracy of those quotes. The argument from authority is really your basis on this. None of the US presidents were religious leaders, so they should not be held as religious authority. (There is also a long list of great non-Christians, btw, but that's the same sort of logical fallacy) Lol the Reagan on a pedestal. It sounds pretty biased and inaccurate. Doesn't it seem hypocritical that at least a few of the people praised morality and equality while owning slaves, mistreating Native Americans and otherwise known for racism?

2) Anecdotal evidence isn't very good either. The fact is that these education materials are loaded with inaccuracies in science, particularly in evolution, because they see it as an insult to their faith. My professor said Darwin's research on evolution doesn't have purpose, it just explains a mechanism of the natural world. He's not going into your church and making a fuss and handing out pamphlets.

3) I agree that Christians and basically everyone should stop assuming they're perfect. But don't use the Duggar example. The reason they're being outed is because they say they teach the best family valuesTM and they say gays and transgenders are ruining marriage (while the oldest kid admitted he was a hypocrite after two scandals), and actually try to get their egos into office. If they weren't so vocal (they lobbied against a bunch of LGBT laws!), no one would care about this right now. I'm not too worried, their lack of education really sets them back. Their show's been canceled and I'm sure it was heavily edited into something people would watch. Don't take reality TV too seriously.

4) I'm in favor of an unbiased education, first of all. The ACE stuff is not known for this. One of the best things about college is how the professors just teach whatever they've studied in their academic careers with no filters. Pretty much the only way to learn about history and art. People DID do terrible things. Michelangelo DID paint Jesus naked.

5) Don't use the "black friends" example to say you're not racist.

I'm going to use the "too old to care" example because I've found all the bear, purple hamster, bee, rodent, bunny, etc, friends.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

ThatGamer

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 26, 2015, 09:07:40 AMHonestly, I didn't have the guts to say it till now.

Didn't read it, I don't read long paragraphs except MP's story. What happened?
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Dudeman

Quote from: Ruto on August 26, 2015, 11:04:01 AM~snip~
oh my god this is exactly what mlf said not to do what are you doing
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

Quote from: Dudeman on August 26, 2015, 11:24:33 AMoh my god this is exactly what mlf said not to do what are you doing
who cares?

ThatGamer

Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Dudeman

Quote from: Dude on August 26, 2015, 11:28:01 AMwho cares?
Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 26, 2015, 08:45:13 AMI'd advise everyone to think carefully before you reply to MLF. He's definitely right that we've gotten too hostile lately.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 26, 2015, 08:56:53 AMVery much so.
Quote from: Maelstrom on August 26, 2015, 09:06:33 AMThank you mlf.
Your post sums up what I've been meaning to say for some time.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dude

2 out of 3 of those people I don't give a fuck about and have shitty opinions so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Sebastian

*sigh*

Dude

From what Olimar tells me tho you never stop talking so idk why Ruto would.

blueflower999

lol at the notion that the college education is unbiased. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SlowPokemon

Pssst guys. Stop

Let's have a campfire and toast marshmallows and have fun
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Sebastian

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 26, 2015, 08:40:57 AMI really think we shouldn't discuss anymore religious or controversial things on the forums anymore for the health of the community. This is my last post about this. If you wanna talk about it further, please ask me on skype.