News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

Bitch it's obvious that I know I was throwing narrow-minded shade, but you're not the one to be blaming anyone for being narrow-minded

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Waddle Bro on August 26, 2015, 02:06:02 AMBitch it's obvious that I know I was throwing narrow-minded shade, but you're not the one to be blaming anyone for being narrow-minded
Acting self-righteous isn't helping in this situation.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Ruto

Yeah, okay so several of you aren't getting the point about those particular homeschool materials.

1) Abeka, Accelerated Christian Education BJU stuff are thrown together in the same group, if you've read the links I posted. The reason being their role in fundie Christian "education."
2) Whoever thinks this should be part of a curriculum needs a reality check and some kind of restraining order from children's schools.

"BJU defines a fallacy as "that which is contradicted by God's revealed truth, no matter how scientific, how commonly believed, or how apparently workable it may seem... Because Satan has used evolutionary theory effectively against Christians, they should know what they believe concerning this theory.""

I'm sure Satan's name isn't on those scientific papers.

(From Abeka) "The concept of sin was foreign to the Indian culture; discipline was intended to teach children to survive rather than to make them moral. This amoral philosophy was often discouraging to Christian missionaries, who found it difficult to teach the Indians the difference between right and wrong... The Indian culture typified heathen civilization – lost in darkness without the light of the gospel."

Yes, cutting off children's hands is perfectly acceptable as a lesson for not finding gold. So is taking them from their parents to boarding schools.

3) A sample from ACE's 9th grade workbook:

More here.

4) According to Bob Jones University, "The seeds of error that took root during the fourth and fifth centuries blossomed into the Roman Catholic church – a perversion of Biblical Christianity." An A Beka high school test asks students to "name two groups in Europe that stood for the Word of God against the Church of Rome". After telling students that Austria is 90% Catholic, they they say "The Austrian people are very religious. They believe in God. They know of Christ and His good life. But they do not know that Christ died to save them from judgment and eternal death. They believe that their religious works will get them into heaven. Few missionaries are in Austria to tell the people about the salvation God has provided through Christ Jesus. Those people need to be shown the peace and the joy that they can have in their hearts when they accept Christ as their savior."

Picking a fight with my bear is the last straw!!!

Also this isn't education, it's a bunch of fundie bullsh*t. I think Waddle's onto something. Now if you argue, "but their math is still good", you should probably look up some mathematical theories rejected by fundies, such as set theory. After that, see if you can understand a scientific journal or the Iliad, etc. I'm not saying homeschool can't work at all, but you can do it all wrong. The point of education is to teach you how to think.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on August 26, 2015, 02:58:20 AM"BJU defines a fallacy as "that which is contradicted by God's revealed truth, no matter how scientific, how commonly believed, or how apparently workable it may seem... Because Satan has used evolutionary theory effectively against Christians, they should know what they believe concerning this theory.""

4) According to Bob Jones University, "The seeds of error that took root during the fourth and fifth centuries blossomed into the Roman Catholic church – a perversion of Biblical Christianity."
I've never seen anything to that extent in the books I used. I'm not sure what specific place you're getting that from (it would be helpful if you actually showed physical sources from the books themselves or showed where those statements came from, as the website you linked to doesn't seem to give any sources?).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

ThatGamer

Haha, that's so simple, I wish my year was that easy...
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Sebastian

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 26, 2015, 03:27:29 AMI've never seen anything to that extent in the books I used. I'm not sure what specific place you're getting that from (it would be helpful if you actually showed physical sources from the books themselves or showed where those statements came from, as the website you linked to doesn't seem to give any sources?).
This is true.
I've used ACE all my life and it has worked very very well for me. Just because these curriculums don't agree with Evolution doesn't mean they are bad.
And that example of the 9th Grade question is from a really old PACE. They have updated those by now. The ones I use don't look like that.

And the only thing I actually see "wrong" with these curriculums is that they talk about Christianity and tie everything in with the Bible and God.....so you saying these are wrong only because of that? So you discriminating against Christians?

ThatGamer

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 26, 2015, 06:38:42 AMThis is true.
I've used ACE all my life and it has worked very very well for me. Just because these curriculums don't agree with Evolution doesn't mean they are bad.
And that example of the 9th Grade question is from a really old PACE. They have updated those by now. The ones I use don't look like that.

And the only thing I actually see "wrong" with these curriculums is that they talk about Christianity and tie everything in with the Bible and God.....so you saying these are wrong only because of that? So you discriminating against Christians?

*grabs popcorn and sits down for religious battle*
Quote from: Altissimo on August 29, 2015, 12:00:16 PM
Since I haven't heard from her personally I don't wanna be like "YO HERE'S THE CHATROOM OK"

Maelstrom

Idk what I used for middle school, but I used mostly actual textbooks for my classes, and none of that Bob Jones stuff.
With the exception of history. I can't remember what it was called (sunlight?), but it was basically reading a ton of great historical fiction, and I remember more from it than if I would have taken an actual class.

Waddle Bro

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 26, 2015, 02:22:42 AMActing self-righteous isn't helping in this situation.
bruh no one needed help at any point, also shoutouts yo red herring
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=throw+shade&defid=1677865

FireArrow

Quote from: mariolegofan on August 26, 2015, 06:38:42 AMThis is true.

How can you self assess how well its worked for you? Have you gotten into a good college or something? All Christian education does is create religious bias in areas that it has no right being to stop Christian kids from ever hearing anything contrary from a source they may deem reliable (which is basically parents and teacher.) Most things should be taught without extremely blatant bias, yes?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Sebastian

I really think we shouldn't discuss anymore religious or controversial things on the forums anymore for the health of the community. This is my last post about this. If you wanna talk about it further, please ask me on skype.
But I would like to say one more thing here:

You can't really say that ACE, Bob Jones, A Beka, or any type of education is inferior to the teachings of the public schools. A few examples in my own life:
My Aunt was home schooled all here life with the ACE curriculum. She got her Bachelor's in Music and is finishing her last year for her Master's in Music. 
My Dad, one of the smartest people I know, was home schooled with ACE for 6 years...I think. He got his Bachelor's in Music, taught in a school for 3 years, and is a part-time arranger/composer and is very good with English.
My Dad's Brother (My Uncle)  who I think was also home schooled but I'm not sure. He got a Bachelor's of Mathematics and is a full-time high school Math teacher.....he also teaches Chemistry.
My Grandma (my Dad's Mom) went to medical school and became a nurse. I'm not to familiar with her life, but I know she was a nurse for a very long time and also taught high school math for about a decade. She wasn't home schooled, but went to a public school I believe.

So, as you can see above, it is obvious that these curriculums are not inferior to public education and it would be foolish to say so. And I don't really understand why you guys don't like Christians or the Bible.
There are many famous people who have condoned and even encouraged Christianity and the Bible. Examples:
1. Ronald Reagan, who stimulated economic growth in the US, strengthened its national defense, revitalized the Republican Party, and ended the global Cold War says, "Of the many influences that have shaped the United States into a distinctive Nation and people, none may be said to be more fundamental than the Bible."
2. Abraham Lincoln, who ended Slavery and did many amazing things, says, " I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good of the Savior of the world is communicated to us through the book."
3. George Washington, the first president, says, " It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.
4. Andrew Jackson, the 7th president, says, " The Bible, sir, is the rock on which our republic rests."
5. Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States, says,
"When you have read the Bible, you know it is the Word of God, because it is the key to your heart, your own happiness, and your own duty."
6. Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States, says, "A thorough understanding of the Bible is better than a college education."
7. Daniel Webster, American politician and noted orator, says, "I believe that the Bible is to be understood and received in the plain and obvious meaning of its passages; for I cannot persuade myself that a book intended for the instruction and conversion of the whole world should cover its true meaning in any such mystery and doubt that none but critics and philosophers can discover it. Education is useless without the Bible."
8. Pascal, French philosopher and mathematician, developed the modern theory of probability, says, "I prefer to believe those writers who get their throats cut for what they write."

The list goes on and on. Obviously, many of the great minds believe in the Bible. Are you calling them fools as well? And yes, many presidents were home schooled as well: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, James Garfield, William, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, James Polk, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, and George Washington.

Just to be clear, I don't agree with what every Christian says.....Heck, I argue with Christians more than I argue with Atheists. I'm not really proud of all of the Christians out there today. Yes, a lot of them are racist, judgmental, legalistic, and even sexist and I'm sometimes embarrassed to be called a "Christian" myself because of how stupid some of the Christians are today. Take the Duggars for example. I really like that they are taking a stand for Christianity and do understand what they are doing. But some things they do I don't agree with. I was saddened to hear about Josh, their oldest, cheating on his wife :/
That itself does not help the Christian name and makes me sick to the stomach.
Anyway, my point is that I don't agree with all Christians and think some of them are stupid but do understand that they are trying to live for the Lord and that they do have problems. Everyone has problems and no one is perfect.....even Christians.

Something else I want to be clear on is that I'm not racist nor sexist. Some Christians might be that way (which is not becoming whatsoever and makes me very mad) but I and my family are not. I think everyone should be treated fairly and justly whether you are gay, straight, black, white, brown, pink, mentally disabled, physically disabled, rich, poor, dirty, old, young, introverted, extroverted, short, tall, fat, skinny, smart, stupid, Atheist, Christian, man or woman. Everyone should be treated fairly.
Heck, my favorite YouTuber is a black person :P

Just to be extra clear, I love everyone. I may get mad sometimes and say things I don't mean (which is one of my greatest flaws) but I am not mad now and am hoping to earn each and everyone's respect. Please forgive me for the things I have done in the past. All I really want on here is peace.....and to make awesome sheets :P

For the sake of the forum and the community's health, I think it might be best for us to stop talking about controversial topics such as Christianity, Evolution, God, etc.
Let's try to be each others friends and lift each other up. Not tear each other down :/

Thanks for listening and for the respect everyone! :)

~MLF 👌

SlowPokemon

I'd advise everyone to think carefully before you reply to MLF. He's definitely right that we've gotten too hostile lately.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Maelstrom

Thank you mlf.
Your post sums up what I've been meaning to say for some time.