News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 10:10:20 AMSo because one way of explaining something can't be fathomed or proven in another way of explaining something, means that it can't be?
Generally speaking, if it doesn't have evidence, in science it's not considered to be fact.
It COULD be fact, but so could all the other 4000+ religions throughout history.
Quote from: Bubbles on August 10, 2015, 10:13:09 AMThe idea is that the gospels are mostly truth, but the facts are presented in a way that they purposefully get misinterpreted.
I'm curious what you mean by this, since the things in the Gospels are quite supernatural oftentimes. I've heard the stone-soup like interpretation of the Feeding of the Five-Thousand before from my own pastor (before I left church)

QuoteI know drug addicts that were one step away from losing everything (and then some) when they converted to a religion and immediately saw lifechanging results.
I've always been interested in this side of religion, as I've know people who go through a patch of depression and then take up religion for the aspects of unconditional love it gives them.
Seems to me like it would be better to learn to love yourself unconditionally than to just rely on someone else's, even if that person is supernatural.
QuoteIt's selfish to try and bully someone into believing what you do since in the end we don't know anything.
I somewhat agree, but the reason I have an issue with Christianity is that is practices suspension of critical thinking (everything is based on faith), as well as it tending to get special privileges within government (for example, I believe it was a Missouri police department that put "In God we trust" stickers on the back of their police cars).
A good example of this is the pledge of allegiance- the phrase "Under God" wasn't added until the 50's because we were separating ourselves from the "Godless Communists", and it's still mandated by many schools to be said each week (clearly violating the establishment clause of the first amendment).
QuoteRecognize religion as necessary but no ones forcing you to practice it if you don't believe it.
Religion is far from necessary. All things that religion promises (being healed if you're sick, eternal salvation) can all come from other much better places (secularism and most sciences), or simply don't exist.
what is shitpost

MaestroUGC

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 10, 2015, 10:49:32 AMThis is nice and all, but could you please continue this discussion somewhere other than here?

Try the Debate Topic or some other thread to discuss Religion.

*ahem*
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 10, 2015, 11:01:23 AMThis discussion's kept a cool head so far, let's see if you guys don't blow it.
*ahem*
Also,
Quote from: Da Rulez- Calm debates on politics, religion, etc will be tolerated, but if things get out of hand then consequences will follow
what is shitpost

Dude

MaestroUGC

That post was meant for you guys to take this discussion to a more appropriate place. At no point was I trying to stop it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 12:31:56 PMReligion is far from necessary. All things that religion promises (being healed if you're sick, eternal salvation) can all come from other much better places (secularism and most sciences), or simply don't exist.

How depressing. Is that truly the world you live in?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 10, 2015, 12:49:42 PMThat post was meant for you guys to take this discussion to a more appropriate place. At no point was I trying to stop it.
this technically is the thoughts of the moment thread so...

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 12:50:46 PMHow depressing. Is that truly the world you live in?
How is that depressing in the slightest?
And yes, it is the world that I live in, and the world that you live in, and the world that MLF and Blue live in, and the world Pat Robertson lives in (the list goes on)
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 10, 2015, 12:49:42 PMThat post was meant for you guys to take this discussion to a more appropriate place. At no point was I trying to stop it.
This thread is about thoughts of the moment, and these are our thoughts of the moment.
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 12:57:04 PMHow is that depressing in the slightest?
And yes, it is the world that I live in, and the world that you live in, and the world that MLF and Blue live in, and the world Pat Robertson lives in (the list goes on)

That is not the world I live in.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 12:57:04 PMHow is that depressing in the slightest?
And yes, it is the world that I live in, and the world that you live in, and the world that MLF and Blue live in, and the world Pat Robertson lives in (the list goes on)This thread is about thoughts of the moment, and these are our thoughts of the moment.
who's pat Robertson
and what does MLF and blue have to do with it
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 12:59:42 PMwho's pat Robertson
and what does MLF and blue have to do with it
Pat Robertson is an evangelical Christian. MLF and Blue are conservative, if not evangelical Christians.
My point was that the simple reality is that science and secularism have a much better track record of offering the things religion has offered (healing, miracles). That's a fact, just think about how condoms were condemned by the Catholic church when certain groups were trying to spread them to AIDS ridden South Africa.
Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 12:58:42 PMThat is not the world I live in.
It is, my friend, the world you live in. Religion isn't necessarily bad, it's just not necessary to being a good person, and the things it offers can be done better by science near every time.
what is shitpost

mikey

That's what I love about science.  Even if it's wrong it'll keep changing until it's right.  Anything that we currently accept as fact can become history with one discovery
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 01:12:58 PMPat Robertson is an evangelical Christian. MLF and Blue are conservative, if not evangelical Christians.
My point was that the simple reality is that science and secularism have a much better track record of offering the things religion has offered (healing, miracles). That's a fact, just think about how condoms were condemned by the Catholic church when certain groups were trying to spread them to AIDS ridden South Africa.

It is, my friend, the world you live in. Religion isn't necessarily bad, it's just not necessary to being a good person, and the things it offers can be done better by science near every time.

man, the more I read your posts, the more I'm like:

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 01:16:49 PMThat's what I love about science.  Even if it's wrong it'll keep changing until it's right.  Anything that we currently accept as fact can become history with one discovery
Ikr, it's super amazing  :D
Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 01:17:55 PMman, the more I read your posts, the more I'm like:

(video that says "where are you going with this shit?")

My point there was that, even if you want to say that religion is important to everyone, it really isn't and can be outdone by the other sources I named.
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on August 10, 2015, 01:40:45 PM...religion really isn't and can be outdone by the other sources I named.

Lol whatever you and your almighty sciences say, oh possibly-merciful anti-deity.