NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waddle Bro

except the civil war actually happened for certain so it's more like an f-

Sebastian

True, but in 3000 years some people will deny the Civil War too.....just like the Bible today.

FireArrow

Which is more believable:

1) A man fits 2 of every animal onto one boat before a divine being floods the entire planet. Despite such a big event, there is no textual or physical evidence of this outside of religious scriptures.

2) A bloody civil war involving nothing supernatural to reunite a country. There is textual and physical evidence from a variety of sources.

I don't care what you believe and I'll respect you as a human being either way, but please don't act like religon is the logically superior position. Your entire belief revolves around beleiving something despite everything pointing the other way, that's why it's called faith and not science. You'd do well in life to understand why everyone believes the greco-persian war happened but not everyone believes a man split water to save the jews.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

at the very least I'd assume most people to believe that the 4 gospels are pretty possible
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

The Bible is not meant to be taken literally--I apologize to people who read it that way, but even religious authorities agree that the Bible is not a literal document.

Also I'm not really understanding the comparison to the Civil War.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

I just freaking love it when people say shit like a guy making a boat for some animals or someone performing some miracles remains EXTREMELY IMPOSSIBLE, but something like a speck of dust that spins while spinning around a star able to support trillions of beings' life isn't? Our world has many, many things that cannot be explained or remain unanswered, so to be as close-minded as that just makes me squint my eyes and think "really?"
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 08:21:44 AMat the very least I'd assume most people to believe that the 4 gospels are pretty possible
A guy walking on water, turning water into wine, feeding a huge mob of 5000 with a loaf of bread and two pieces of fish, dying and then coming back again, right...
Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 10, 2015, 08:47:05 AMI just freaking love it when people say shit like a guy making a boat for some animals or someone performing some miracles remains EXTREMELY IMPOSSIBLE, but something like a speck of dust that spins while spinning around a star able to support trillions of beings' life isn't? Our world has many, many things that cannot be explained or remain unanswered, so to be as close-minded as that just makes me squint my eyes and think "really?"
I wouldn't say it's impossible, just extremely unlikely. As with my statement above, it's not impossible, just unlikely.
But to say that because it might be possible, or that we don't know something therefore we turn to religion is completely illogical.
what is shitpost

Olimar12345

So because one way of explaining something can't be fathomed or proven in another way of explaining something, means that it can't be?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bubbles

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 10, 2015, 08:21:44 AMat the very least I'd assume most people to believe that the 4 gospels are pretty possible
The idea is that the gospels are mostly truth, but the facts are presented in a way that they purposefully get misinterpreted.

The loaves of bread and fish one is my favorite one to explain. Yes, a miracle did happen (just not duplicating fish or whatever people are implying). During that time period, since everyone walked everywhere they went it would take most of their day and it would be rare for someone to not bring food with them, since that could mean not eating all day. When Jesus was attempting to feed everyone, the majority of the people didn't want to take their own food out because they didn't know if enough food was available and they wanted to make sure they themselves were filled. The miracle was the change of heart that the mass of people had--once the sharing begun with the basket everyone took out their own food and the whole crowd was fed. I guess the one basket of food DID feed everyone once they opened their hearts, but not literally.

I grew up a catholic but never really believed too strongly, and right now I'm in a weird belief that I can only explain with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I don't want to discourage anyone on their faith though, since I know that sometimes faith is the most important thing people have. I know drug addicts that were one step away from losing everything (and then some) when they converted to a religion and immediately saw lifechanging results. It's selfish to try and bully someone into believing what you do since in the end we don't know anything. Recognize religion as necessary but no ones forcing you to practice it if you don't believe it.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Bubbles on August 10, 2015, 10:13:09 AMThe loaves of bread and fish one is my favorite one to explain. Yes, a miracle did happen (just not duplicating fish or whatever people are implying). During that time period, since everyone walked everywhere they went it would take most of their day and it would be rare for someone to not bring food with them, since that could mean not eating all day. When Jesus was attempting to feed everyone, the majority of the people didn't want to take their own food out because they didn't know if enough food was available and they wanted to make sure they themselves were filled. The miracle was the change of heart that the mass of people had--once the sharing begun with the basket everyone took out their own food and the whole crowd was fed. I guess the one basket of food DID feed everyone once they opened their hearts, but not literally.
Spoiler
QuoteIn those days, when again a great crowd had gathered, and they had nothing to eat, he called his disciples to him and said to them, 2 "I have compassion on the crowd, because they have been with me now three days and have nothing to eat. 3 And if I send them away hungry to their homes, they will faint on the way. And some of them have come from far away." 4 And his disciples answered him, "How can one feed these people with bread here in this desolate place?" 5 And he asked them, "How many loaves do you have?" They said, "Seven." 6 And he directed the crowd to sit down on the ground. And he took the seven loaves, and having given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; and they set them before the crowd. 7 And they had a few small fish. And having blessed them, he said that these also should be set before them. 8 And they ate and were satisfied. And they took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. 9 And there were about four thousand people. And he sent them away.
[close]

MaestroUGC

This is nice and all, but could you please continue this discussion somewhere other than here?

Try the Debate Topic or some other thread to discuss Religion.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

MaestroUGC

Not anymore. And I had no idea you were British!

This discussion's kept a cool head so far, let's see if you guys don't blow it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

SlowPokemon

I thought wanker was Australian for a while
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

unmotivated