The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KefkaticFanatic

Our women's team is the one that's actually good tho

me irl
[close]

mikey

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 07, 2015, 03:32:09 PMActually, I'm going back on that.
We should talk about it, because even though it's legalized, there is still cultural hatred towards homosexuals among some.
So I amend my earlier statement, we should still have the discussion.
you say that like we hate homosexuals
unmotivated

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 07, 2015, 05:08:25 PMyou say that like we hate homosexuals
No. He said it like he knows discussions about it bring out the worst in people. And it does.

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on July 07, 2015, 05:04:27 PMOur women's team is the one that's actually good tho
This is true.
Keep in mind that soccer/football is a worldwide sport, so just using data from the US doesn't help any arguments.

Ruto

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2015, 05:16:58 PMNo. He said it like he knows discussions about it bring out the worst in people. And it does.
This is true.
Keep in mind that soccer/football is a worldwide sport, so just using data from the US doesn't help any arguments.

Let's look at the gender/wage inequality in Japan.

Short article:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/10/29/national/japan-remains-near-bottom-of-gender-gap-ranking/

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Japan

"However, the problem is that they are not receiving equal pay in comparison to men in Japan. Typical hours also tend to favor men in that most jobs require long workdays. As author Soble from The New York Times points out, at present, "Japanese women earn 40 percent less than men on average and occupy only one in 10 management-level positions."[8]
Mothers with children end up dropping out of work or picking up part-time, low-paying jobs because they need to take care of their children and cannot devote the long work hours most jobs require. Taking care of the family and household is still seen as a predominately female role."

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Maelstrom

There's one big question I have.
That big 40%.
Is that per year?
Or per hour?
There is a large difference.

Ruto

Stop moving the goalposts. There is a long, detailed explanation on how they collected data and compiled their statistics. I'm sure that they would have done their homework and not make glaring, obvious errors in their research. Ever done research in statistics before? I did -.-

If you take that into an account with a large N, it still means that overall women are earning less.

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

Maelstrom

400 pages why.
But again, since women would be paid less to do the same job, why aren't businesses run entirely by women? It makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2015, 05:16:58 PMNo. He said it like he knows discussions about it bring out the worst in people. And it does.
I said it because I'd like people to stop discriminating against LGBT people, and that's seemed to be the most effective way- we can put in legislation, but we can't make people like it.
Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2015, 05:16:58 PMThis is true.
We were talking about discrimination against women (presumably in the US, as it's a lot bigger here than many other places to my knowledge; though I could very well be wrong and will happily take this back if I'm proven wrong).
what is shitpost

Yug_Guy

FierceDeity

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2015, 06:33:10 PM400 pages why.
But again, since women would be paid less to do the same job, why aren't businesses run entirely by women? It makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.

Maelstrom, 300 of those pages are country-by-country analyses, which aren't exactly necessary to understand the actual message of the report. There are many other pages that can be skimmed, as well. I would highly suggest that you go through the first 100 pages with an open mind, as while I'm not about to extend this debate further, you should know that your argument is both unrealistic and completely avoiding the actual roots and logistics of the wage gap.

MaestroUGC

What the f*** is going on here? Stop it.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2015, 06:02:18 PMThere's one big question I have.
That big 40%.
Is that per year?
Or per hour?
There is a large difference.
The actual difference is 0 if you bother to do the math. How much you earn in a year doesn't affect how much you've earned per hour, how much you earn in a year is a total of every hour you've worked for in a year. 40% less wage per hour = 40% less wage per year

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 07, 2015, 06:33:10 PMBut again, since women would be paid less to do the same job, why aren't businesses run entirely by women? It makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.
Next time give your posts some thought before you click the post button?

-Extremely unrealistic and stupid
-Women don't want to overthrow men, they only want equality and equal pay compared to men
-Because then there would be no men earning money
-No men earning money would mean men would have had to give up their male privileges and be willing to work for less money just to have income(the law of supply and demand, if there is demand for employment, especially now that all men have no jobs, there will be supply. it's capitalism.)
-Men working for less money would reach the same conclusion, men would want equal pay for the same amount of work.
-Thus only fair conclusion is treating everyone equally and paying everyone the same amount of money for the same amount of work.
-"Why aren't the men paid less" is a much better question from a business standpoint than "why aren't all the men just fired"

MaestroUGC

*Sigh*

Women, as well as other groups of people, have accomplished a lot within the past 75 years but there's still a long way to go for true understanding and equality.

Savvy? If you want to discuss this, do so privately.

FireArrow

Why is it so terrible to discuss controversial topics? I'd rather see individual flame wars quenched than outlawing people trying to have an intellectual discussion.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

MaestroUGC

Because history has proven that people don't always discuss things around here in a calm, respectful manner; I would love to see something to the contrary, though.