The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Quote from: Hero of Trains on May 18, 2015, 08:48:53 AMNo, she was watching me in a battle. I had four party members, and they were fighting a skeleton.  Also, she's seen Pokemon before. I really just cannot understand how she did it.
Well, to some people, all turn-based RPGs are Pokemon.  :P

ZeldaFan

Also any game system you have is called a Nintendo, according to mom lol

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

SlowPokemon

^to both of the above, I'd rather turn based JRPGs be associated with Pokémon that with something shitty like Final Fantasy, and I'd rather game systems be known as a Nintendo than anything else. It'd be way more disturbing if the default was Xbox or something
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 18, 2015, 10:48:06 AMIt'd be way more disturbing if the default was Xbox or something
It actually is with younger people. At airport security, the person in charge asked my family if we had any Xboxes or laptops because we would need to take them out of their bags.

There's just one problem with people associating JRPGs with Pokemon: they assume all of them are targeted at 12-year-olds. Not saying Pokemon is only for that age group, but people can just be annoying.

SlowPokemon

I don't think anyone with half a brain actually thinks that and if they don't have half a brain I don't really care about them tbh

braix

If you only have half of your brain, I'm pretty sure you can't think that
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PMBraixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 18, 2015, 02:07:25 PMI don't think anyone with half a brain actually thinks that and if they don't have half a brain I don't really care about them tbh
You'd be surprised. I know it's not the same thing, but there are way too many gamers who call anything Nintendo "kiddy."
Even though they made Bayonetta 2 happen. Even though Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles (+X) exist.

SlowPokemon

Even though Mario is hella fun and Pokémon is an incredible series and I don't really mind my favorite games being called kiddie lol why is that bad

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on May 18, 2015, 05:56:22 PMEven though Mario is hella fun and Pokémon is an incredible series and I don't really mind my favorite games being called kiddie lol why is that bad
Because that idiotic mindset is killing Nintendo right now. The PS4 is selling solely on ****ing hype, and the XBone is not too far behind. Where is the Wii U? Stuck way behind the others simply because it has "terrible PS3 and XB360 graphics" and "kiddy Mario games."
I don't care how false it is, but the general (ot so serious) gaming public believes it anyway. Nintendo doesn't have to be the most popular anything for me to still love it, but, financially, this can only go on for so long. But hey, at least the 3DS sells (as opposed to the Vita  :P)

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 18, 2015, 06:27:43 PMBecause that idiotic mindset is killing Nintendo right now. The PS4 is selling solely on ****ing hype, and the XBone is not too far behind. Where is the Wii U? Stuck way behind the others simply because it has "terrible PS3 and XB360 graphics" and "kiddy Mario games." I don't care how false it is, but the general (or so serious) gaming public believes it anyway.
It's not even necessarily the fact that the public is shaming the Wii U; it's the fact that in most cases the public isn't even aware of it.

Seriously; Nintendo has done a poor job at marketing the thing. Have you even seen their first (US) advertisement for it? I'm pretty sure either the marketing team are either 1) a complete bunch of idiots, or 2) don't know how to market the damn thing!

Plus there's one other thing holding them back. I work at a library, and the public computers are right in front of the front desk, so I can see what everybody is doing on them. And you know what every kid between 6-12 is doing? They're watching Let's Plays about 75% of the time. And you know what they watch? FNaF, Garry's Mod, Happy Wheels, Minecraft, and just about any FPS. And I'm willing to bet they own at least some of the games that they watch. You know why they probably don't own any 8th gen Nintendo games? Because apparently Nintendo doesn't want the free publicity. You'd think that they'd at least want to market to their target audience, right? Well, I guess that owning copyrighted material is more important than purchases of their own product. *sigh* To say Nintendo has been idiotic in their marketing would be an understatement.

To blame Nintendo's shortcomings on being "only for kids" is a gross over-simplification; there are a lot of other factors too. I could probably go on and on about all of the things they've done to shoot themselves in the foot these past couple of years. Wii U? New Nintendo 3DS? Both are terrible names, and the person that decided to name them those should be fired. Amiibo stock shortages? Did you guys not plan on them being a massive hit?!

Nintendo has been digging themselves into a hole this generation, and the only way they can salvage themselves is to produce enough quality content to attract enough users to make the Wii U worth producing by the end of it's life cycle (a la Gamecube). And to be honest, they have taken a few steps to try and correct what they've done wrong. Splatoon is a brand-new Nintendo IP that is based on a genre Nintendo really hasn't set foot in before. They've attracted a few 3rd-party companies to make exclusives for the Wii U that are surprisingly good (Bayonetta 2, W101, Xenoblade X). And the new smartphone deal with DeNa and NX give me hope that Nintendo has finally realized that they need to wake up and smell the flowers. Hopefully, they address some/most of these issues in the near future.

Sorry this went on for so long, I get really ranty when it comes to this kind of stuff.  :P

mikey

unmotivated

Maelstrom

Btw, Monolith Soft is a 2nd party dev for Nintendo. Meaning Nintendo owns them completely. So Xenoblade Chronicles and XCX are not 3rd party titles.

Dude

mashi typing sounds like a bunch of kittens falling down wooden stairs

Mashi

KefkaticFanatic

me irl
[close]