News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The Post Your Thoughts of the Moment Thread 2

Started by Harvest, February 22, 2008, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-NiGhT

I'd be down. I think I'm gonna go grab an eshop card so I can buy both packs
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Sebastian

Ok!
Cool! I'm setting up the tournament now. And will post it in a minute. Should I have a password or won't there b enough people here playing?

Sebastian

If anyone is interested the tournament will start in 45 minutes!
3 o'clock central time that is. If you're interested it is called
NSM Showdown and the code is 4257 0980 3485

FierceDeity

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on April 25, 2015, 04:03:40 AMI mean if you want to be an idiot and voluntarily excuse yourself from experiencing what can be actual substantial additional content, you're free to do so.  Your "protest" is an inconsequential and futile effort.

whoa whoa whoa
guys hold up
kefka's defending ninty
what are the other signs of the apocalypse, again?
and...THE WALLS WILL OOZE GREEN SLIME??? oh wait, they always do that

Idk, noc's level of aversion to it is a little ridiculous, but I think even with the perfectly respectable way Nintendo's approaching DLC, it's not unreasonable to be at least a little cautious or questioning. The fact that the coming of the digital age has allowed developers to make changes or additions to their games is a great thing. But DLC is probably the least comfortable model of making these changes into a fiscally responsible decision for developers.

Subscriptions, you can say that a game requires constant supervision and patching, so you're essentially paying for a service beyond the actual development of a game. Fine, that makes sense. Some people hate it, but most still generally accept its reasoning.

Expansion packs, you have an unquestionably sizeable addition to the game, often comparable to the amount of content in the original game itself. So, you're essentially buying a new game where you'll get to keep progress from the old one. Makes as much sense to have to pay a premium for that as to pay one for a regular game, right?

DLC, though, is different. It asks you to accept a price put on a part of a whole. Even if the game is "complete" and perfectly good before the DLC, it raises questions about how much certain parts of the game, and the game itself, are actually worth. For example, if every character in Smash is worth $4, then shouldn't the game itself be worth $200+? Obviously, they have to account for the fact that not everyone who bought the game is going to buy the DLC, so some level of inflation is reasonable. And then there's the whole "you don't have to buy it so why complain" deal you guys have been hammering (assuming the devs of the game are handling it the way Nintendo has been). But it's still very uncomfortable, because it highlights the extraordinarily arbitrary nature of game pricing. Not all games are created equal, yet all major titles for the same system typically have the same price. If DLC is truly priced according to the resources put into making it, then shouldn't the games themselves also be priced this way?

Not that I'm advocating that approach, at all. Kept that simple, it would create an absurd dynamic in which the quantity of game content takes a prominent spot in the public eye that it doesn't deserve. But hopefully this is some food for thought for an issue that I find to be much more complex than "screw nintendo for selling me an unfinished game" or "if you don't like it don't buy it".

Side note: how does the DLC affect online multiplayer in MK8? Are tournaments like this, that incorporate the new tracks, exclusive to people who've bought them? Because this
Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 25, 2015, 10:38:51 AMJust let him enjoy his non-DLC life. He just won't be able to play with the rest of us.
is actually another potential downside of such DLC; when it divides the online multiplayer, it actually is subtracting from your experience in that regard.

K-NiGhT

Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

MaestroUGC

Very few people have the talent to argue at length about nothing.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

mikey

MK8 feels complete to me even if the koopalings were a lame excuse for new racers
so if I did get DLC I would probably go for MK8
but I still won't end up paying 20 dollars for it
unmotivated

MaestroUGC

mikey

I HAVE 200 DOLLARS IN MY WALLET RIGHT NOW BUD
BEAT THAT
unmotivated

FierceDeity

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 25, 2015, 02:10:23 PMVery few people have the talent to argue at length about nothing.

I prefer the term "extended mediation".

...or, you know, not wanting an issue to be grossly simplified into a right or wrong issue when it clearly isn't

MaestroUGC

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 25, 2015, 02:15:33 PMI HAVE 200 DOLLARS IN MY WALLET RIGHT NOW BUD
BEAT THAT
Pssh. That's walking around money.

Talk to me when you've netted your first million.

Quote from: FierceDeity on April 25, 2015, 02:16:33 PMI prefer the term "extended mediation".

...or, you know, not wanting an issue to be grossly simplified into a right or wrong issue when it clearly isn't
Pick your battles, else you come across as argumentative for its own sake.

FierceDeity

Well, then, let me be perfectly clear as to my intentions:

On a regular basis, NSM turns into a massive shitting-on-<insert name here> fest due to their and obstinate and closed-minded opinion. And often times, the majority is right; this opinion is, in fact, ignoring much of the bigger picture. Yet so many think that their own end of the spectrum is, itself, this bigger picture, when in truth it's also ignoring parts of the equation. My hope is that these defecation demonstrations, these fecal festivals, these...pooping parties, will become less antagonistic and more understanding of the complexities that led to the disagreement in the first place. So, I try to elaborate on these complexities. My aim is not "nothing"; I'm simply not adhering to either side of a completely unnecessarily established dichotomy. Maybe my posts seem extensive, but that's just because I don't think "guys stop fighting/be more understanding" really gets to the root of the problem.

TL;DR stop shitting on nocturne if you're going to treat the issue as just as black-and-white as he is.

SlowPokemon

I still don't know what you're getting up in arms about. Everyone on this godforsaken website thinks they know everything, you're not going to get anything across to anyone xD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

MaestroUGC

Quote from: FierceDeity on April 25, 2015, 02:35:55 PMWell, then, let me be perfectly clear as to my intentions:

On a regular basis, NSM turns into a massive shitting-on-<insert name here> fest due to their and obstinate and closed-minded opinion. And often times, the majority is right; this opinion is, in fact, ignoring much of the bigger picture. Yet so many think that their own end of the spectrum is, itself, this bigger picture, when in truth it's also ignoring parts of the equation. My hope is that these defecation demonstrations, these fecal festivals, these...pooping parties, will become less antagonistic and more understanding of the complexities that led to the disagreement in the first place. So, I try to elaborate on these complexities. My aim is not "nothing"; I'm simply not adhering to either side of a completely unnecessarily established dichotomy. Maybe my posts seem extensive, but that's just because I don't think "guys stop fighting/be more understanding" really gets to the root of the problem.

TL;DR stop shitting on nocturne if you're going to treat the issue as just as black-and-white as he is.
While noble, they historically haven't helped and only severed to further exacerbate whatever the original problems were. Yes, most issues are not black-and-white, right-or-wrong and trying to get to the root of them is important, but you will not be able to do that if the principal parties do not understand that principle.